Introductions / How did you find sailFar.net?

Started by CapnK, December 18, 2005, 11:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Didereaux

CapnK,
  I have the true(grin) CD-25, the boat that made the nmae for Cape Dory org! heh
The All CD's are designed by Carl Alberg EXCEPT the Cd-25 which is a George Stadel design.  Was originally the Greenwich 24 built by Allied.  When they folded they sold the mold to the newly formed Cale Dpry company.

The CD-25D is a much later addition and a much different boat, fights break out over which is the better of the two. heh   The Stadel boat has a slightly narrower beam, and the motor is in a stern well, the D has a small inboard diesel and wider beam as well as more headroom.

Ted Brewer in last months Good Old Boat picks the CD-25 and the Folkboat as his favorites.  The Cd-25 is built tough and can sail rings around the 25D, however because of publicity from such as John Vigor the 25D is usually the one that is listed as the most 'off-shore-ish'.

Anywho, it all boils down to the fact that several of the best small cruisers ever built was done in the 60's and early 70's and by a handful of designers. 

Personally I think the old West coast built Pearson Triton is hands down the toughest little boat ever built on this side of the Atlantic.  Of course I wouldn't turn down a Vertue 25!!!! ;)

thanks for asking,

Didereaux
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

Didereaux
"Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." - H. L. Mencken

CapnK

Hey Iceman -

I tried to move your above post into the SB/LD topic, but the only way to do so was for me to start a new thread there with your name, and cut and paste that post into it. So, why don't you go ahead and do the same, so that it's under *your* name and not mine. lol :) You need your own thread anyway, right? :D

Welcome aboard, Jack!
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Faith

Didereaux,

Great boat!  There was one in my marina when I frist bought 'Faith' home (1964 Ariel).

I should have taken a picture, at one point both boats were tied up next to each other on the end of the 'T' dock.  From the deck edge down, the looked to be the same boat. 

Several people noticed the similarity.

George Stadel & Carl were definately of the same school.

She ought to sail at least half as well as my Ariel ;)

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Iceman

Will do after Christmas

Iceman

Oldguy52

Fortunately, Cap'n K made a post to the TSBB, which has been sorta rare lately. I guess there might have been some method to his madness????

Anyway ...... I happened to see it and thought hmmm.... haven't seen that before, better check it out ..... and here I am. Just one of those happy cowinkydinkies :)
Rik

PS "Flicka" hull #230
S/V Happy Little Girls 2
http://www.signsbyrik.net/rik/our_flicka.html

Iceman

s/v Faith

Are you the same s/v faith that did the big trip on the Commander posted on the Ariel website

If so Great

If not invite that crew to join us here and share their journey here as well ;)

Ice

s/v Faith

No,  would love to make the trip though.

Different boat, same hull.

They did that aboard the Pearson Commander 'Faith',
Mine is the Ariel 'Faith'.  The Commander has a larger cockpit and a smaller cabin.

Here is the link to the log of the journey you are refering to, a great read!

Kailyst

Hi there!

Found this Forum yesterday and joined up today. Finally - a place for us 'small fry'!  ;D ;)

Although I am from a long line of sailors, I am new to the Cruising Life. My SO bought a 1978 Columbia 7.6 (S/V Milenka[/i]) in August and we have been happily refurbishing her when we aren't out sailing the Chesapeake with her.

When we're not busy reading about sailing, overhauling Milenka or out on the water, we also like to camp and Swing Dance, but not at the same time, as dirt wreaks havoc on two-tone dancing shoes!  :o

Long range plans are to learn what we can on The Bay for a couple or three seasons and then go for some blue water cruising and live aboard, when we find the right vessel for it.

Looking forward to learning and sailing away into the sunset!  ::)

Kailyst
We're all here because we're not all there.

Zen

Dude, put some blades on that hull, you'll be IN  ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Solace

Hi all,

Merry Christmas from the Great White North.
I am excited that there is finally a forum developed for the serious small boat cruiser.
This is my 4th year as a full time live aboard. My home port is Hamilton, Ontario, Canada - that's the far west end of Lake Ontario.
I sail a Columbia 8.3 (I'll save you getting out the calculator - that's 27'2").

Each year I cruise the Great Lakes, mostly Lake Ontario. I have cruising plans to take my boat to the Caribbean in 2 years. I admit to flip flopping between sailing my more than capable coastal cruiser or buying something in between 30 and 40 ft.. The downside of course is every dime I spend on a larger boat is taken from the cruising kitty. Would love to hear pros and cons from folks who have done it.

Happy Holidays to all

John

Otis

Don't believe a thing Adam says.

And yes I am following him to correct any impression that he is worth listening to.  ;D

CapnK

LOL, Ice -

Amorous, the Worlds First (and Only) Liveaboard Iceboat/er. ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Adam

I gave you a good karma click for that one Otis :)

Geaux Tigers!!!!

Jack Tar

Small world> I use to live in Milton. Been in the states since 1957. Ended up purchasing an Alberg made up there by Nye Yachts.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

The Edge

Happy Holidays from Canada, the southern coast of British Columbia, to be more accurate.  I was born and raised in Maine.  

I am a retired commercial pilot.  Sea planes were my favorite.  I have lived on and owned 4 sailboats and many other boats and planes.

My current boat is ideal for me at this time in my life.  I can handle all phases by myself.  I am married but my husband is not enthusiastic about boats so I sail mostly by myself.  I bought her new in 2002 and immediately headed up the B.C. coast by myself.  The following January, I hitched her to my pick up and headed for Florida.  I was away for 7 1/2 months, exploring the Abacos.  The following summer I hauled her back to the Cheapeake for the summer.  She sits in my driveway at the moment.

I will leave her there and am heading to Utila, the Bay Islands of the north coast of Honduras on Jan 4th.  I be gone for Jan/Feb and maybe longer.  I'll do some sailing and diving down there.

I have varied experience crewing, cruising and flying.  I am excited about finding a site with some serious small boat sailors who have a sense of humor and are kind hearted.  I already know some of the members from other sites and we are off to a great start.
It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

The Edge

Adam, 

I thought you were my neighbor here in B.C.   Nooo???? :-\

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

The Edge

I saw the link on Renegades, checked it out, signed up, and posted the news to L&A.  This site has some good folks on it...some I already know, the rest I hope to. 

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

Adam

I spent part of the fall up in Eastport Maine... had to come back home before it got cold!!! :)

s/v Faith

Quotehad to come back home before it got cold!!! 

Wise man.  ;D

The Edge

Hi Adam,

I was thinking of Alex in my previous post.  The last I talked to you, you were settling in for a cozy winter in Maine.  Did I mention that I am FROM Maine.  I am glad you were able to spend the beautiful autumn there and then got out while the gettin was good.

B.C. is too cold for me.  I am heading for Honduras to do some sailing and diving during Jan/Feb.

This appears to be a great site.  Welcome Aboard.  I just arrived a couple of days ago.

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X