News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

The Inflateable Dingy thread.

Started by Captain Smollett, August 28, 2006, 10:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

I was the very, very grateful recipient of a hand-me-down inflatable dingy.  I was told when it was given to me that it leaks.  I assumed this meant it leaks air, which I thought was okay for our upcoming trip to the Gulf.

We took it to the lake this past weekend to test 'er out with the new oars.  I rowed around for a while with no problems - heck, I actually found it quite relaxing.   :)

With all four of us aboard, though, we took on 2 inches of water in 20 minutes.   >:(

So, now I have to hunt down that leak before we need it for all of us dingy-ing.   Fortunately, on the MS trip, it will only be me using the dingy, so it should not be a problem.   ;)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Pixie Dust

Soapy Water will help you find your leaks.  Also if you are in the water in it and are very very quiet, you may be able to see or hear the bubbles.   :D  You may have to leave the kiddies at home for that part of testing. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Captain Smollett

???

I'm a little confused.  How will soapy water help me find the source of the water leaking into the boat?  I admit I am very tired right now, so if this is totally obvious, please feel free to hit me on the head with your spar of choice.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Zen

bubbles will let you know where the hole is located, rubbing/sponging the soapy water over the boat. At least it will with a air leak. For a water leak hmmm, Ok fill the inside with soapy water were it shows coming out should be the leak. or add some vergetable dye to the water then fill the dingy.

The soap thing may still work turning the boat upside down and sponging it down.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Fortis

Zen is a trifle confused. He is still under the impression that it is leaking air.
I have had the wet butt to know where you are coming from.

Nine times out of ten the stress in the floor panel is where it wraps around the transom board.

If you can set up the dinghy on really strudy trestles or saw horses and some timber and then fill the cockpit with water, it should give you a chance to see where it is coming from by using some dry newspaper that you can press up to various parts of the floor (and especially the floor/pontoon joins). Just press a folded bit of newspaper against the hull and hold for about ten seconds, then look for wet spots and mark the holes discovered with a marking pen.

After that it is the standard glueing-on-patches routine we all know and love. AFTER YOU DRAIN THE WATER, OF COURSE!

Alex.

Captain Smollett

Thanks.  Filling 'er up with water sounds like a good idea.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

AdriftAtSea

Alex has a good suggestion, but it has to be  very sturdy saw horses, and put a couple of 1x6 boards parallel to the dinghy's length under close to each of the tubes to spread the weight out more.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

An idea: If you are searching for a floor leak instead of a tube leak, take it to the water (inflated), flip it over on the water, put soapy-water the bottom, and look for bubbles as you press down on the dinghy (ie; put pressure on the air trapped inside/under the boat). Seems like that might work, if you still have that leak, which I doubt since you used the dinghy in Ms. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CapnK on September 17, 2006, 11:18:04 AM
if you still have that leak, which I doubt since you used the dinghy in Ms. :)

The leak only manifests itself with weight in the stern; while rowing, I sat up front and had "no" problems.  I need to find and fix the leak before ALL of us can ride dry in the dink.

It does seem to be a floor leak, and might be related to the fact that chamber #1 (one of the floor chambers) does not hold air either.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

tafelice

Anyone know anything about the pros and cons of a Rollup Aluminum floor on an inflatable dinghy??

Fortis

standard sort of problems re aluminium vs wood.

the al is lighter, but if you bump it hard enough to dent, it will stay dented.
if the al is plated, it will likely be more hassle-free then wood in terms of throwing it into a locker wet and ignoring it till you next need it...but it will corrode and grow abrasive "bumps" eventually.

I would not go the aluminium floor route because we use an electric outboard and have a battery bag that sometimes falls over sitting ont he floor...add a wave of salt water coming aboard and you end up with a zappy good time!

Not an issue if you row or use a petrol outboard.

Alex.

rtbates

This is a pretty incredible inflatable. It motors, rows, sails, and can be had with a full liferaft canopy.

http://www.tinker.co.uk/html/functions.htm

Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

AdriftAtSea

The Portland Pudgy does much the same, but isn't an inflatable.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Fortis

I appreciate the thought that went into the design and the consideration for small yacht owners and their storage issues....

I do have a little tiny amount of curiosity as to how one would go about attaching the life-raft modification kit to the boat while it hung in its davits, in 40knot winds, at 3am, while sinking and being pounded by 6meter waves.

Just a bit curiors....

I am also curious as to what happens to the rigid centreboard sleev in a situation where you are using the boat as a life raft and being bounced around the inside of it like a ball in a bingo barrel. The rigid seat and centreboard is just screaming "rib-breaker" in a liferaft application.

A liferaft which gives you a chance at self rescue and genuine propulsion is to be praised, though. I am all for liferafts that you can raise a jointed mast on and sail with some hope of success towards something.

Sasha

rtbates

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on September 19, 2007, 09:59:40 PM
The Portland Pudgy does much the same, but isn't an inflatable.

Neat boat. Problem is carrying it on a small boat.

Is it just me or does their website look real close to the Tinker's?

Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

Auspicious

In my opinion, most things that try to serve more than one function end up doing all of them poorly. I can certainly see the appeal of things like the Tinker, but I think in practice they fall short.

The question then becomes is it good enough? I don't know. I do remember a good bit of discussion and conflict on the subject some years ago.

Do any of the international maritime authorities certify the Tinker or the Pudgy as a life raft?
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

JimYoung

Does anyone out there know of a coating (rolled, sprayed, brushed) that will help reseal the skin of a very badly sun-abused hyprolyn (sp?) inflatable?  I was given an inflatable that deflates to the point of relieving the higher pressure of being filled within 10 - 12 hrs but can find no pronounced leaks.  I am pretty sure the tubes are just leaking thru the material on the top where the most UV damage has occurred and would love to reseal it with some type of polymer coating.  I don't care about the cosmetics as I believe an ugly tender is very seldom stolen if a "pretty" one is in the same area.

Thanks in advance for any advice / info.
Jim

CapnK

Haven't heard of such a product, Jim, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there...

What about if you got some UV resistant fabric (lightweight sailcloth or similar), then skim-coated a thin layer onto the top of the (inflated) tubes and one side of the fabric with quick setting 4200, and put them together, rolling them to force a good contact? That might work. Maybe someone has a better idea for the adhesive, or maybe you could try a small test patch.

Guess you can't sink an inflatable dink to see where it bubbles...  ::) ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

boblamb

Just wondering????   Wonder if it's been tried or if it's even possible to make a dinghy out of 8" pvc pipe...I'm sure the standard fittings would contribute to the correct shape of a zodiac  or something similar.

Whadayathinkaboutthat?

Bob
boblamb     still..."Blest B'yond B'lief"

AllAboutMe

Jim,
If you really don't care about the appearance, then just paint it with inflatable paint, or any flexible paint. Rustoleum makes a plastic paint that will sort of work.
Buy the liquid tube sealer that is sold at West Marine. You pour it in the open valves, partially inflate , then tumble the boat end over end for a few minutes to coat the inside of the tubes. Once dried it should take care of any pin hole leaks. I've used it on a 20 year old boat and it worked great.