News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

New way to store sheets

Started by Fortis, September 22, 2006, 01:21:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fortis

This morning we did the hyper domesticated thing and went to Ikea....

don't ask.

But amongst there kids room storage stuff were these nifty things

called a BLIMP wall pocket, this things are backed with netting (and a zipper), are UV resistent and soft and collapsible if you brush against them...but they are perfect (I think) for trailing sheet lines into, as they stay "open" unlike the standard net sheet bags.

Looking forwards to mounting them and giving it a try.

I think the cost was about $3 Australian each...so definately a massive investment. Available in various colours.

Cheers.

Alex.

Frank

Alex....If ya got them at IKEA...did they come in a box with 397 parts??complete with bad instructions and pieces missing?? All joking aside..they look great and 'simple'.  Good find.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

Alex-

How big are they?  how do you plan on mounting them?? and what color did you get???

DK
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Fortis

they are about 405mm diameter and 150mm "bulge". Not entirely settled on a mounting method yet. The most likely seems to be sewing some two wide velcro strips to the net backing (so the fact it zippers off is usefull) and glue the "soft" velcro strips to recive it to the cockpit where we want them to mount. It is what we use for our halyard bags and that has worked well over the years. I know a lot of poeple like press stud attachment but I have not found it to be noticably stronger then good velcro, the chances of mechanical failure as the little inner spring in the press stud rusts out is greater and it means yet ore holes drilled into the boat....But I am still open to possibilities.

Oh yeah, it occurs to me that the other advantage of velcro mounting is that if someone is stepping down into the cockpit and gets it "wrong", effectively putting their foot into one of these like a bucket, then the velcro will just let it tear off and hit the deck so your can extract your foot and then just stick the blimp back in place, press studs only open in one direction, thus either tearing the fabric or being a tripping hazzard for the above scenario.

I may be over thinking this, somewhat...

We got the blue/torquise colour pictured in the earlier post. They did not have dark blue available. The other coours I recall form the day were rescue green, fluro yellow, orange, pale red and royal purple.

those crazy Swedes at Ikea!

I wish they had black.

Alex.