The Sailfar.Net Philosophy: Since this is a "Small Boat site"...

Started by Skipper Dave, December 27, 2005, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

captedteach

I sail a Cal 25 of 76 vintage - this year I hope to do a few more of the repairs it needs (scrape and repaint the interior, add some foam to the cushions and recover those etc)  BUT I still want a bigger boat.  Thinking a Bill Garden design in the 30-32 ft range.  I think that will still be a size that is easy to single hand yet has enuff room for any guest and all of my toys. I need the room for SCUBA gear, kayak, maybe a small sailing dingy or windsurfer and my bicycle - I mean really why are we going to these places to just sit in the boat and sip on rum drinks.

As for the Cal - I doubt I'll sell it if I get a bigger boat UNLESS I got something that was easier to transport or a full boogie race boat - it's the right size for the little lake I have in my back yard
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

The Edge

Capt. Teach, Welcome Aboard,

I always enjoyed what you had to say on L&A.  You have much knowledge.  I hope you will continue to share it.  We are lucky to have you here. 
It's a great life if you don't weaken.

Sarah
S/V The Edge
Macgregor 26X

Zen

"Somehow I knew you would get it. I am kinda surprised myself, since my plans started to include more and more of the horizon I was thinking bigger....."

Hmmm, I understand...however for me, the extra 3ft (plus) over my 26ft ( 26 to 29 ) was well worth it.

What really matters is if you are pleased with what you have. Sound like you are, Cool!
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Frank

Welcome aboard 'Capt Teach'....although I do have a dingy and 2 sets of scuba gear on board a small boat....your statemant..."are we to just sit in the boat and sip on rum drinks" don't sound all that bad today..... as I look out at SNOW!!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

captedteach

Quote from: The Edge on December 29, 2005, 12:02:48 PM
Capt. Teach, Welcome Aboard,

I always enjoyed what you had to say on L&A.  You have much knowledge.  I hope you will continue to share it.  We are lucky to have you here. 

Shhh dont tell too many folks  - they might get the idea I really do know something ;)  -  Thanks for the kind werds
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

CapnK

I think the only way I would get a larger boat would be if somehow I happened to be shipping with a First Mate of the long-term female variety. ;D Then I might go a bit larger, but not a lot - 35' *max*. One of the things I like so much about the lifestyle is that you really can have less, while living more. See Amorous' post for a case in point.

Antoine de St Exupery said it best (I'll have to paraphrase, since I don't recall the exact wording):

"Perfection is not achieved when there is nothing more to add, but rather when there is nothing more which can be taken away."

Einstein said something very similar.

Time has shown me that I have better life-experiences when I pay more attention to life and people, and less to the "things" in my life.

If you allow me a little early-morning philosophizing... It is probably no coincidence that almost every religion/spiritual following has a tenet along these lines - ie; getting nearer to Deity is accomplished in part by renouncing "worldly" things.

KISS principle - Wisdom of the Ancients (and of many successful long-distance, small boat cruisers). ;)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

There is beauty in simplicity

....zen

In the pursuit of learning, every day something is acquired.
In the pursuit of the Tao, every day something is dropped.

...Tao Te Ching

Embrace simplicity.
...Lao Tsu

Enjoy the plain and simple.
Find that greatness in the small.
...Lao Tsu

starcrest

theres more room in my boat than I know what to do with.I can and will put an enclosed  shower in the existing head area. I even had a woman stay with me for over a year and she will move rite back in  if I let her.I wont let her stay permanently and I will leave it to your adult rated imagination as to why.Theres all sorts of guys in this marina that would love to have her move in too.those kind of things dont just happen in the movies, or the soap operas. and it happened more than once.so there.a 29 or so foot boat is all one  little guy like me  ( 5'5")needs
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Jack Tar

My wife Ruth and I are presently shopping. Our hopes are to find a nice Hardin 44 or something similar. Perhaps a Nauticat 44.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

Frank

I remember looking at a Nauticat 33 years ago at a boat show...I was REAL impressed!!! LOADS of room..HUGE aft cabin and real nice wood finishs.Beautiful boats!! Why a 44?? Seems like a LOT of boat.

CapnK

If you are serious about going up in size, this is one to give consideration to:

http://www.pbase.com/sailrosita/rosita

"Rosita" is an Allied Princess 36, and Garry *really* knows what he is doing with boats, he just finished her up last year, spent less than a year aboard when his job (nukular enjineer) took him from Fl to Ca. Now he is selling her, instead of having her sit for 4 years til he gets back. Bummer for him, great deal for someone. He's asking $47,500 I think.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Faith

Good thread.  ;D

Frank;

QuoteBUT I KNOW after I set my ego aside ,that the fun factor is better -smaller...yes....size DOES matter   My 2 cents...stay small and improve your boat

Kurt;

QuoteAntoine de St Exupery said it best (I'll have to paraphrase, since I don't recall the exact wording):

"Perfection is not achieved when there is nothing more to add, but rather when there is nothing more which can be taken away."

Einstein said something very similar.

Time has shown me that I have better life-experiences when I pay more attention to life and people, and less to the "things" in my life.

If you allow me a little early-morning philosophizing... It is probably no coincidence that almost every religion/spiritual following has a tenet along these lines - ie; getting nearer to Deity is accomplished in part by renouncing "worldly" things.

KISS principle - Wisdom of the Ancients (and of many successful long-distance, small boat cruisers). 

Zen;

QuoteThere is beauty in simplicity

....zen

In the pursuit of learning, every day something is acquired.
In the pursuit of the Tao, every day something is dropped.

...Tao Te Ching

Embrace simplicity.
...Lao Tsu

Enjoy the plain and simple.
Find that greatness in the small.
...Lao Tsu

Great stuff  ;D

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Frank

Faith...thanks for bringing this thread back...timely for me.We all do it...ya figure out a " TRUTH "..learn a lesson......then do a 180.Don't know if I was getting caught up in the 'deal',tripping on my ego or just  forgetting all the things I have come to learn....I was thinking 'bigger' again...read over the posts again and thought "what the h.. am I thinking....I sail alone 80% of the time and my lil Flicka will be 'perfect'......just needed a reminder and like the ole saying goes.."when the student is ready-the teacher will appear"...and there were these posts gain. Thanks

Zen

:o :o

IS this the same Frank who was saying "Flicka...a perfect cruiser"
thinking about a bigger boat  ??? ???

AdriftAtSea

yes, but he seems to have come to his senses...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

castawaysailor

I have owned a Tayana 37, two Westsail 32's, a Bristol 24, a Vega 27, a Bristol 30 and a Contessa 27 or so.  Now I have my final boat, a NorSea 27.  I will not go back to a bigger boat, been there-done that.

When at sea, you never use the shower inside the boat; when in port, you use the marina shower.  Storage on a small boat is less but you can get around that by smart use of space.

I leave for my world cruise Dec 31 on my NorSea 27
NorSea 27
s/v Castaway

Zen

nice ! U have a way to keep us updated from time 2 time  8) ?

Frank

A quote off this site...."satisfaction is desiring what you already have"....when I just got the "bigger boat" syndrom...I went and spent a few hours on Jubilee.....I'm very satisfied !!

s/v Faith

Quote from: castawaysailor on July 20, 2006, 08:10:17 PM
I have owned a Tayana 37, two Westsail 32's, a Bristol 24, a Vega 27, a Bristol 30 and a Contessa 27 or so.  Now I have my final boat, a NorSea 27.  I will not go back to a bigger boat, been there-done that.

When at sea, you never use the shower inside the boat; when in port, you use the marina shower.  Storage on a small boat is less but you can get around that by smart use of space.

I leave for my world cruise Dec 31 on my NorSea 27

Outstanding!

Yes, please keep us posted.  What have you done to prepair?
What kind of modifications?  route?  etc?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

castawaysailor

My previous boats were outfitted with all the bells and whistles; this one is going to be simple and safe.

Preparation:  15 yrs sailing experience, about 1000 miles offshore and many 1000's near shore; licensed captain; worked on my own boats for 15 yrs; downsized to a boat that fits my needs; helped my children become adults so I can now be a kid; divested myself of other mates (mostly their choice but I will remain single to be able to leave free and clear); saved a little money and will earn the rest on the way; etc.

Where to go:  I will either leave Florida for the South Pacific or go across the pond to England, Norway/Sweden and Russia.  After that, continue cruising goin to Patagonia, Alaska, Indian Ocean, etc.
NorSea 27
s/v Castaway