The Sailfar.Net Philosophy: Since this is a "Small Boat site"...

Started by Skipper Dave, December 27, 2005, 03:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

:o

Harley Harlson is going to sail his 8 foot "Sea Biscuit" around the world. Solo. Non-stop. It's now been a a few weeks since Harley's article, Impossible Dream, and his Photo Album were published in Duckworks Magazine. As expected, readers have had a lot of questions to ask. "Sea Biscuit" is being prepared for her sojourn so he has not had much time to answer. With that in mind, we offer the interview below:

http://www.duckworksmagazine.com/06/outings/harley/index.htm

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

oded kishony

Hi Zen,

Along the same lines I happen to be reading "Three Years in a 12 Foot Boat" By Stephe G. Ladd.  This fellow started at the head of the Mississippi down to the, to Panama, across to the Pacific then South along the Panamanian and
Columbian coast to Benventura, then across South American on the Rio Meta (north of the Amazon) then onto Trinidad, through the Caribean ending in Florida. Some short lengths involved transposrting his boat by truck or freighter. This is a very engaging book, beautifully written, I enthousiastically recommend it.

OTOH the character in the link below, "Harley", seems a bit suicidal frankly. He's hoping to circumnavigate alone in his 13 Ft boat that he's built from scrap (non marine) lumber. I sincerely wish him the best of luck but his plan doesn't seem well thought out to me.

BTW in my own family I have two cousins who (successfully) sailed from Israel to Florida in a 23 ft wooden sailboat. (in the early 1960's)

Oded

Zen

Quote from: oded kishony on July 27, 2006, 08:50:00 PM
Hi Zen,

Along the same lines I happen to be reading "Three Years in a 12 Foot Boat" By Stephe G. Ladd.  This fellow started at the head of the Mississippi down to the, to Panama, across to the Pacific then South along the Panamanian and
Columbian coast to Benventura, then across South American on the Rio Meta (north of the Amazon) then onto Trinidad, through the Caribean ending in Florida. Some short lengths involved transposrting his boat by truck or freighter. This is a very engaging book, beautifully written, I enthousiastically recommend it.

OTOH the character in the link below, "Harley", seems a bit suicidal frankly. He's hoping to circumnavigate alone in his 13 Ft boat that he's built from scrap (non marine) lumber. I sincerely wish him the best of luck but his plan doesn't seem well thought out to me.

BTW in my own family I have two cousins who (successfully) sailed from Israel to Florida in a 23 ft wooden sailboat. (in the early 1960's)

Oded

Oded,
I'ii check out that book.
as far as Harley, hmm well. :-\ I wish him luck. He will need that, prayers and a lot more.  The human spirit is capable of pulling off a lot of things. This maybe one of them. However he should put somemore thought into planning, some sea trials, test runs, etc, before heading out in secret because he does not want the USCG to stop him.  It seems from reading more of the articule that he is more about setting some new record than the journey itself.  :-\  He read somebody was going to do around the world ina 9ft homemade boat, he got all fired up to do one better... :(
Seems like a bad way to start IMHO. Oh and it is a 8ft homemade nonmarine grade boat.  :D

oded kishony

Hi Zen,

I'm fascinated by the goal of designing a small boat for long distance, singlehanded sailing. I can see various glaring problems with his deisgn, as well as his plan. One of which is that he will cook alive in his entombed space when he's in the tropics. Another is the quirky sail plan. A wishbone mast at the aft end of the boat with two furled sailes terminating at the bow.  It seems that he has an awful lot of the wieght in the aft section but the hull doesn't show any additional boyancy in the aft section. It'll be interesting to see how he does.

Oded

AdriftAtSea

That's actually part of the technical design genius of the boat. The weight aft helps lift the sails into the fast higher winds. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

That rig sounds somewhat like the concept of the "Mast-aft rig", which I personally find to be an extremely interesting concept - to the point that I've spoken on the telephone with Brian about it... :)

Thoughts: Maybe someone on a 44'er thinks I'm a glutton for punishment, in the same manner that I think maybe Harley is... :D ;)

Additionally, this: I sail for the pleasure of sailing; attempts like this one are simply sailing for a record, and I have no interest in that at all. Tristan Jones did that, with his "Incredible Voyage". In fact, the whole point of that journey of his was to set a record which couldn't be beaten, as a way to 'protest' such behaviour.

Different strokes! Anyway, I hope Harley does well, survives, and even enjoys his trip. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

lol and we all know Tristan was a REALLY TRUTHFUL guy about his exploits- No embellishments or total fabrications whtsoever ;D ;D

But he did write exciting tales. We always have enjoyed the reads.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Zen

oh , we have a new guy here,

welcome to the board!  ;D

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CapnK on July 28, 2006, 11:20:07 AM
That rig sounds somewhat like the concept of the "Mast-aft rig", which I personally find to be an extremely interesting concept - to the point that I've spoken on the telephone with Brian about it... :)

From the article:

It didn't get built and neither did the rig. Like a bear, it went into hibernation.

Why not?  Did he say?  It seems that he should be able to build a prototype, smaller than the original 55' design.

It is an interesting concept, but I do have my own questions about it.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

oded kishony

Good Old Boat had a picture of a rig very similar. The mast didn't lean but was placed practically on the transom. I don't recall seeing any boom attached. The boat it was pictured on had wing like extensions midship. I suppose you could hike out on them. As I recall it was on an apx 25ft boat.

I've sometimes wondered if it would make sense to have some parts of the sail be inflatable-just a way of gaining rigidity with minimal addition of weight.

Oded Kishony

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CapnK on July 28, 2006, 11:20:07 AM
That rig sounds somewhat like the concept of the "Mast-aft rig"

Stumbled across this discussion on a designer's forum today:

Mast Aft Rig

Some are skeptical that it will be either strong enough, give proper luff tension or would really make any difference on any point but close hauled.  Also, they note that (a) the concept HAS been built (Bolger designed one) and (b) the concept re-crops every 10 years or so.  Apparently, it is nothing new, and SOMETHING has stopped it from catching on.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

K3v1n

Hey guys,

Yes I have been lurking about and love the chatter about getting bigger boats. But since you all already have bigger boats than me I find it quite funny. After sailing my Com-Pac 16 a handful of times with one overnight with my daughter the 'bigger boat bug' has bitten me as well. If I ever want to get the wife to join us I will need more room. I was looking at the Com-Pac 19 but then was thinking why not just go straight to the CP23. A buddy of mine has one and I'm hoping to get out on it soon and check it out. The 19 has a 2 foot draft and the 23 has a 2 foot 3 draft so there is no problem there.

Whatever to do?!

-Kevin

Captain Smollett

CapnK used to sail the ComPac 23 Epiphany, and I'm sure he will be happy to answer any questions might have....

IF he ever returns to this forum!!!!   ;)

(KR, hope the delivery is going well and you are safe)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

CapnK

Arrgh! Well, not on that delivery, obviously... The owner told me we had a deal, and that I'd be doing it, but then turned out not to be a man of his word. Of course, this was after I had already rearranged my life for 2 weeks, packed, secured crew and charts, etc... - and No, I don't have a high opinion of the "gorram bastage", after that! ;)

Just been busy working for the bills, and working on the boat...

Hey Zen - Thx for the welcome, smartypants! ;)

Kevin - Having seen/been on them side-by-side, the CP23 is *way* bigger than the 16, which would be much nicer for family outings, and is a nice boat for coastwise work. I never trailered mine, always kept her in a slip, so I don't know how that would affect your sailing time, which would be a consideration...

If you want to see some figures comparing the 19 and 23 boats, try the Sail Calculator.

Based on the info there, the 23 looks to be perhaps a faster, more seaworthy boat than the 19 - better capsize ratio, comfort factor, higher SA/Disp ratio, etc...

That said - If I see you talking about the CP33/35, I'm gonna get worried... ;D
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

Seems that CapnK has the good sense to be a Firefly/Serenity fan.  :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

CapnK

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on August 13, 2006, 11:46:02 AM
Seems that CapnK has the good sense to be a Firefly/Serenity fan.  :D

Browncoats Unite! :)

Space pirates are *cool*! 8) Thinking about it, Mal and crew were spacefolk much like us sailorfolk - their ship "Serenity" is pretty small as far as spaceships go, and the characters all have an independent attitude, like many of the people here... :)

For those who don't know, "Firefly" was a TV series by Josh Whedon, sort of a "space western", and it was a really, really good show that was only on for 1 season. Due to a rabid fanbase, it was eventually made into a movie, "Serenity", which would be better to watch after you have first seen the TV series (it's on DVD). I haven't owned a TV in over 2 years, but for pure entertainment, this was the best show I'd seen in a long time, and I highly recommend it. :)

Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

Lil Wednesday rocked in the Movie, but was too little nnot impressive on the TV show.
I D/L the movie off Limewire.com and watched it on the Computer. VEry Cool!

AdriftAtSea

Bad Zen... are you openly admitting to pirating the movie... The horror...I hear the MPAA is going to be visiting you soon. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Zen

Whaaat!! you mean limewire  is not legal!!!!  :o
!(&@#^# those lying !*#Y#^#)
that is disgraceful to mislead an innocent trusting upstanding forth right citizen. I'm SHOCKED.

ohhoh, I think something is wrong with my hard drive... I'm losing all my data even as I type. I may have to reformat everythin...got to go  :'(

Captain Smollett

Zen, anchor out past the 12 Mile Line.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina