Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Caframo fans

Started by sailor, October 31, 2006, 02:26:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sailor

Quote from: castawaysailor on October 30, 2006, 04:25:52 PM
but I have approx. 300 amp hrs of battery with a good charging system and very little to use the amp hrs-just lights, caframo fans, laptop and a VHF radio.

Are you happy with your caframo fans? Which model do you have? I have one DPO installed and it's:
a) very noisy
b) eats waay too many amps for the airflow
c) the switch is intermittent

To be honest, the fan is more than few years old at this point (less than 20 y.o though ;) ) , but I'm thinking about replacing it with something quieter.

------------
Edit by CapnK - I split this thread off of the Engel thread because it concerns these fans which are worthy of their own thread. :) sailors comments below this point reference the original thread.
------------

Sorry for thread hijack - as far as Engel go I don't have first hand experience, but Tom & Amy on Dream Catcher bought one a while ago and are pretty happy with it:  http://www.tendervittles.net/logs/oct2006/101406.html :
Speaking of the freezer, it's been working perfectly. Our built in fridge/freezer unit has been turned down to the warmest setting and is now used just to keep sodas, milk, and veggies cool (45 F). The new freezer is running less than 20 minutes an hour, drawing less than 2.4 amps while on and keeping everything mega frozen. Nice!

castawaysailor

NorSea 27
s/v Castaway

sailor

Quote from: castawaysailor on October 31, 2006, 11:36:25 PM
sailor

I use the 2-speed Caframo; works great, have been using for 15 years with little problems.

see http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/50145/0/0/fans/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0
This looks different from what I have. I even went to the caframo web site, but can't find it there - maybe they don't make it anymore? Mine looks very similar to their Kona model ( http://www.caframo.com/12volt.htm )
The model you use claims "finger safe" blades - have you been hit? If yes was it hard? I have a 2 year old little sailor who loves to play with the fan.

castawaysailor

Quote from: sailor on November 02, 2006, 12:38:54 PM
Quote from: castawaysailor on October 31, 2006, 11:36:25 PM
sailor

I use the 2-speed Caframo; works great, have been using for 15 years with little problems.

see http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/producte/10001/-1/10001/50145/0/0/fans/All_2/mode+matchallpartial/0/0
This looks different from what I have. I even went to the caframo web site, but can't find it there - maybe they don't make it anymore? Mine looks very similar to their Kona model ( http://www.caframo.com/12volt.htm )
The model you use claims "finger safe" blades - have you been hit? If yes was it hard? I have a 2 year old little sailor who loves to play with the fan.

I get hit a couple times a day, as the fan is mounted next to my cockpit and I use it to keep me cool in my bed; I hit it when I wake up for releave myself: no-it does not hurt.  These fans are still made, sold by some home depots in the fan and ac department; also sold by west marine; but much cheaper at home depot.  I paid $27 at homers; they are approx $45 at Waste Marine
NorSea 27
s/v Castaway

CapnK

I've two of the Caframo 747 model fan, and they are great, among my favorite gear.

I bought one of these fans, used it that night, and went and bought another the next day, that's how well it works. They have seen heavy use for 4+ years now, and still whir along just fine.

The blades are indeed finger-safe, and even 'nose-safe' as I've found out on more than one occasion. ;) There is a small 'blade guard' piece of plastic which surrounds the blades, I think designed to lessen the force of an inadvertant impact. Well, I have impacted both of my fans enough that the guards on both fans eventually started breaking off. :) I simply trimmed the guard off of the blades, and they still don't cause bodily harm if you happen to hit the blade while the fan is running.

I noticed on the Caframo site that they say the fans use .59 amps/hour. Back when I bought mine, the figure for low speed was .24 a/h IIRC, and high speed was this .59 figure.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Godot

I have one.  Works fine.  Whenever I get hit by the blades I scream bloody murder; but it doesn't hurt.  The startle factor just gets me.  I saw mine at West Marine and paid the premium.  I later bought an oscillating 12v from Wal~Mart for a lot less and it works fine, too.  I'm not sure of the current draw, though.

I did cut off the 12v adapter and permanently wire it into the boat.  Actually, I found that this was almost necessary if I wanted to screw it in place (as opposed to using the clamp) as the nut on the bottom extends too far out and I needed to drill a little hole in my headliner to fit it.

[I just re-read that description, and it doesn't make much sense; but without a photo I'm not sure how to describe it better].
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

castawaysailor

godot:  tighten the nut and it will not stick out; it will also make the base and fan hold together better

others:  I have three permanent mounted on my 27 ft boat, one over my bunk, one next to the galley and one by the chart table.  All are hard wired to the electric panel. I have two with the suction base to use when working on the engine, sitting in cockpit, etc.  I love em; use them maybe 20 hrs  a day; I love a breeze when I sleep and when I work.  I have lived in florida for years, you need some moving air during the summer; during the winter up north-use the fan to circulate the air from the heating stove
NorSea 27
s/v Castaway

cgoinggal

Used one of the caframo fans as seen on the link to West Marine ealier in post and ran it continuously last year for over 4 months in the Sea of Cortez.  I never turned it off once and I used it this year again and added a second fan too.  Expensive at West Marine or similar so if you know of where to get one cheaper go for it.  Very happy with mine and they are now standard equipment.
Will sail for cheese.

AdriftAtSea

I've got both Caframo and Hella fans.  The Hellas, due to their design are better for bulkhead or ceiling mounting, one Caframo is mounted on the nav console.  Another is mounted along the panel separating the galley and the port-side settee.

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Auspicious

I have Hella Turbos. They draw about .5 A on high (not sure on low -- although I usually use them on low) and are forceful and quiet. I have heard good things about Hella Jet fans also although they seem to be hard to come by. They draw less power.

The Turbos are easy to clean and maintain -- there is one nut that opens up the motor for cleaning and lubrication.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

s/v Faith

In spite of Kurt's ... er  uh... less then accurate recounting of our visit he was actually very helpful.  One of the things he shared with us was his love for these fans.  He gave one to Rose and I and it has run nearly every night since.  The wind scoop gives us fresh air, but the single Caframo actually cools.

QuoteI noticed on the Caframo site that they say the fans use .59 amps/hour. Back when I bought mine, the figure for low speed was .24 a/h IIRC, and high speed was this .59 figure.

I get between 300ma and 400ma on low, and between 400ma and 500ma on high.  Eight hours adds less then 4ah to the budget and are WAY worth it!   ;D

I have removed the 'guards' from office fans before and have been impressed with the improvement in airflow.  I have not used the Hela(have seent hem installed, but not slept under one).  , but wonder if it could benefit from the removal of the guard, or maybe just cutting out some of the 'slats'.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.