Hurricane discussion; Red flags are flying!

Started by starcrest, February 24, 2006, 04:17:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CapnK

Quote from: polecat on July 26, 2008, 10:47:58 PM
Heard from Charliej?

Hi Jim -

I spoke with CJ briefly today. He and L are both fine. He said they only got 8/10th of an inch of rain out of the whole storm.

I reminded him to be careful about what he wishes for. ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

polecat

Good news - Thanks - I was down to the general store the other day and they said someone saw a raindrop hit the ground out west of town but other than that --- the drought continues & the lakes are shrinking.
jim

Oh yes - I'd like to know of any other Sailfar folks along the Texas coast.  Is there a list that members can get to? 

CapnK

No set list... I'll set up a Frappr map or something...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CharlieJ

Thanks for asking.

Most we got wind wise was about 35 knots. Laura went down ahead of time, lashed the sail cover tightly to the boom, took down the solar panel and folded the bimini and lashed that. Added an extra stern line on the weather side. Also added a couple extra lines to David ( Grime's) boat

We spent the night aboard the day the storm came ashore, just to be sure- NE winds kinda make our marina bumpy so we wanted to be on hand should it be needed. Water in the marina got about 2 feet above normal- hard easterly and southerly winds tend to do that.

Here's a link to the post David made on TSBB with his pictures. In the last pic of the marina, his boat is the first one in the foreground and just about an inch in on the right hand edge you can jsut see Tehani's bright finished mast. The water is Matagorda Bay

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/forums/trailersailor/index.cgi?read=646098
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

newt

How are you guys doing down there?  Are our sail-farers doing OK? Anything we can do to help?
Just worried about my adopted homeland...
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

AdriftAtSea

It is getting pretty soggy down there... :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

rtbates

Best wishes to Pcola sailors. Batten down looks like you might be in the 'bad' quadrant of Gustav.

Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

CharlieJ

P'cola??? Hey- looks like P'cola will get a miss from Gustav. More and more looks like he's coming to visit OUR neighborhood.

YIKES!!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

This thing just looks more and more scary with each passing forecast.  Sounds like Cat 5 is right around the corner, hopefully it will loose some steam before it comes ashore......

The track has stayed pretty constant, heading to Louisanna.... Hopefully you will be on the weaker side CJ.  THey say it is a strong storm, but the hurricane force winds are only expected to extend 75 miles from the eye.

While we are supposed to be on teh strong side, it appears we will be far enough away to escape all but the TS force winds and some rain.  We will go down and add a third set of lines tomorrow.

I hope everyone will offer up a prayer, or good thoughts to those in the path of this terrible storm.   :(
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

newt

Our prayers will be with you, and LA. I can't believe they are getting hit again.

CharlieJ

OUr problem is that we have so many sailing friends scattered along the Gulf coast that anytime we are wishing a storm like this AWAY from us, we are wishing it onto friends SOMEWHERE.

We have sailing friends on Galveston Bay, Beaumont, Vermillion Bay (Looks like ground zero), NOLA, ALL along the north shore of Lake Pontchantrain, Gulfport, Passcagoula, Pensacola, Bradenton, Punta Gorda- just all along the third coast.

So we have a hard time with a landfall ANYWHERE.

Same thing for the East coast- all along there, from Hollywood up into the Chesapeake we have sailing friends.

So we just keep our fingers crossed and hope they all survive ok.

So far so good- none of our friends has lost the boat. Several have had serious home damage, but only two had family members who got wiped out

I HATE Hurricanes!!!
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Pappy Jack

Our prayers go out to you and everbody in Gustav's path. I hope that FEMA is better prepared this time ??? ::).

Fair winds, not hurricane wins, and full sails

Pappy Jack

dnice

I'm about 60 miles inland of the MS coast. (Hattiesburg)

Today there was an influx of Red Cross trucks coming from the north as well as evacuee's coming from the south.

It seems that most coastal cities are far more prepared, maybe even over-doing it, this time around. I'm sure thats a good thing....

I was in NOLA when Katrina hit, and I've been in (guessing) around 10 hurricanes in my lifetime. But even sitting comfy inland, I still feel that sense of anxiety. Expecting the worse, hoping for the best, for everyone involved.

I have sailing friends in south FLA who have by now, took fay, handled gustav, and are preparing for hanna! Just another season in the Gulf!

I don't have any advice for anyone, except get out!, but really, I hope all of the sailfar.net folks and friends fair well this season.

Anyway, I'll report here after the storm has passed, (wednsday?) for anyone interested.

newt

It looks like Gustav mellowed, Hanna coming and Ike is forming up in the gulf. If anyone wants to come to Utah, you welcome to stay here!

Lynx

The word about H******* is to be prepaired and know when to leave and where to.

I do not want to be in one on a boat at anchor.
MacGregor 26M

s/v Faith

Watch out Kurt & John, looks like this one is heading your way. :(

s/v Faith

Looks like the folks in the Bahamas are in for a bit of a ride...  :o

s/v Faith

Don't much care for the path Ike is on either...

... Is it Novemebr yet?

CharlieJ

Just got the latest email from Connie- they are all battened down at Sampsons Cay, with 4 anchors out and feel fairly secure. Keeping my fingers crossed for her.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

I don't like Ike this time either. In the 50s 'I like Ike" was a neat campaign slogan.

Ike looks like it could easily come into the GOM and come this way. I'd rather it didn't. Too bad they can't all just turn up the Atlantic and blow themselves out. Wishful thinking I know.

Oh well, Laura brought home 12 sheet of 1/2 ply the other day , pre-Gustav, so we have boarding up stuff on hand.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera