The Small Boat Camera Geek thread.....

Started by Captain Smollett, December 13, 2006, 10:11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cmdr Pete

I saved this link for waterproof cameras. Haven't really looked into it yet. Do they have an optical zoom?

http://www.goprocamera.com/

Don't really know anything about cameras, or taking pictures. Can't even keep my thumb out of the way.

Rosie, the leeches! Filthy beggars

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Cmdr Pete

Now you got me curious.

A few water resistant cameras came up when I was looking around:

Bushnell 3.2MP (but no optical zoom)

cheapest I saw for these two about $180:

Pentax Optio line (like the 33WR)

Olympus Stylus line (the 600)
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

s/v Faith

Question for the camera geeks experts....  ;D

Rose came across this;

Olympus Stylus 770 SW

QuoteShockproof. Waterproof. Freezeproof. Crushproof. Introducing the world's most durable digital camera — the Olympus Stylus 770 SW. You can drop it (from 5ft), dunk it (to 33ft), freeze it (-10°C/14°F) or even try to crush it (up to 220lbf), and it will still take amazing photos. But the 770 SW isn't all brawn and no brains. It features a bright 2.5" Hypercrystal LCD so you can easily compose, view and share your images underwater or in direct sunlight. Digital Image Stabilization (DIS) creates sharp, blur-free pictures, even if your subject is moving. And the 27 Shooting Modes, including movie with sound, allow you to master any shooting situation.

Here is a review.

It is a bit more then I wanted to pay, but if it lasts for more then one trip it may well be worth it....  What do you guys think of this?
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

I don't know anything about it, but if you get one be sure to tell us about it. I don't need one right now, but I know is only a matter of time  ;) the Cannon Elph I have  I like, but it definitely is not "rugged".
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

AdriftAtSea

I have the original Pentax Optio WP. It's  great little camera.  The Olympus is probably even a bit better, since they have a slightly higher MP count than the latest model of the Optio. The only reason I'd stick with the Pentax series if I ever manage to kill my Optio WP is they use SD cards, rather than the somewhat proprietary XD cards that the Olympus uses...

I recommended the 770SW to a friend for Christmas and have heard nothing but praises from his wife about it. :)

BTW, I'd rather go with an Olympus or Pentax over the Gopro mentioned previously in the thread, since they're both well known camera companies with decent optics.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

psyche

The Dashews use this Olympus for the pictures that they take for use on their website. A friend went swimming with one of these camers in his pocket. When he got back on the boat he took the camera out and took a picture. The camera had no ill effects from going swimming. I plan on purchasing one of these. Dan

s/v Faith

QuoteI plan on purchasing one of these. Dan

Thanks for the head's up.  I will make sure to avoid shopping for it on Ebay until the 'Bid Master' has made his selection.  ;D :D ;) :) ;D

CapnK

I do like the waterproof/shockproof aspect of the Olympus. What I don't like is the battery pack - it is probably only made by Olympus, and just as probably requires 120V to (re)charge - though there might be a 12V accessory available, I dunno...

I like having a camera which uses AA's, since they are sowidely available and I can recharge them using my house current.

Craig - check the prices at newegg.com : they have great prices.
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

AdriftAtSea

IIRC, someone makes a third party charger for the Olympus and Pentax that can run off a cigarette lighter. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

s/v Faith

Dan,

When Rose 'discovered' the Olympus 770 sw, I forget you had recommended I take a look at it here;

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on March 13, 2007, 09:30:33 PMThe combination of sub $150 and water-resistant is a bit tough. 

I'd look at the older Pentax WP or the Olympus equivalent of it (current model is the 770SW IIRC)... both make a small, compact, water-resistant digital camera that has a 3x optical zoom. ....

Thanks for the recommendation.  Thanks also to our good Capt, I will keep an eye on newegg.com.  They don't have that model right now though.

The 760 would probably work for me too (dropproof to 5', but not as water proof.... I think I am going to go with the 770.

Here are a couple reviews if anyone is interested;

Imaging resource       Scuba diver info review

If anyone comes across a real good deal please let me know.

Thanks!

AdriftAtSea

Glad to help.  BTW, just got the Olympus 1030Sw... three days ago.  Waterproof to 33'... and built like a very small tank. :)

If you're still in the market, I'll take a look around for you...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

s/v Faith

Olympus 1030Sw looks nice.. too rich for my blood.  I don't think I need that kind of resolution.

QuoteIf you're still in the market, I'll take a look around for you...

Thanks Dan.

AdriftAtSea

You can get the 790 SW Olympus Stylus, which is 7.1 MP for $233 HERE.

However, you can get teh 850 SW Olympus Stylus, which is 8.1 MP for $238 here.

Hope that helps. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Shipscarver

Is there a good underwater case for the D-80? How about interchangable lens for 250 and above?
I was using a little Cannon Powershot 70 onboard, but had returned it once already to the factory for warrenty work (everything worked but taking pictures), now the same problem. Time for a change.
It it wasn't so cumbersome, and in need of a super cleaning, I'd go back to my old Rolliflex twin and shoot 120! ::).
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

AdriftAtSea

yes, there's a good uw housing for the d80.  It's rather expensive though, and I'd rather just have a smaller, more portable, camera like the Pentax Optio or Olympus SW Stylus on the boat for most of my use.  It is less than the D80 housing costs, and far simpler to deal with on a boat.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Joe Pyrat

Capt. Smollett,

I use a Canon Rebel XTi and do enjoy shooting pictures.  The camera is only half the process though, I've been using Adobe Photoshop Elements to process my photos.  It is much less expensive than Photoshop and lets me do about anything I want to do.  One of my favorite effects is Panorama (stitching shots together).  Here's an example of three shots made into one.

Francis Scott Bridge, Baltimore Channel heading into the Inner Harbor
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

Fortis

I will add my good word for the Olympus kill-proof range. They not only survive sand sea and worshop...they survive my nearly thtree year old son! (Who famously decided to do underwater photography with it int he turtle tank at the Melbourne Aquarium. Why film through the glass when you can get a really good closeup by dipping the camera?)

I actually LOVE the battery system. I found that it lasts so much better than even the best AA type setups. Batteries are shareable between five different makes of camera and there are lots of aftermarket versions and chargers available quite cheaply. I am never going back to aa unless it comes with a magazine loader and a platinum credit card strapped to the side.

I have four batteries and even under extreme filming conditions have never neede to load the third battery, except on the snow trip where battery life was markedly lessened due to cold.

The controls quickly became instinctive, the auto-cheat buttons lthat you are likely to need in an instant are very close to hand.  I like it a lot.

Alex.

AdriftAtSea

Fortis-

Why in god's name are you letting your three-year-old handle a camera???

BTW, which Olympus do you have?  I have the 1030SW, and an older Pentax Optio as boat cameras. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Fortis

It's just the 820...And why wouldn't I? It is simple enough for him to use and he loves looking at the screen and "catching" things that interest him. It is tough enough to survive him and he is carefull and thoughtfull about using it. Again, why wouldn't I let him?

The other side of that is of course I frequently find myself taking pictures of Miles doing interesting and adventurous things. Catching an oar splash of water, a cloud of flour from enthuisiastic bread making or a dozen other things right in the lens is not at all uncommon. I bought a camera that would be tough enough to survive it, worthwhile enough to get the results at a standard I wanted and cheap enough so that I would not cry too much when it finally did go in the drink or fail a saving throw for "adventures survived".

One of the 820's other party tricks is the rapid shot, where it takes 6 or 10 hi speed shots at one press of a button. It really pays when you are trying to catch your son just as he jumps across something etc...

When I was five I saved up my money earned doing little jobs and bought a box full of old cameras (mostly plastic kodacks) at a sunday fair. I broke a few, lost a few and learnt a lot about photography, so that by the time I went and bought a decent 35mm SLR....I broke it fewer times then I otherwise would have.
The digital camera age makes it even easier for yong ones to do all this.

Oldrig

Hey Fortis,

I don't want to disagree with Dan, who really knows his stuff, but if you're willing to risk possible damage to your Olympus 820, I think it's GREAT that you're letting young Miles learn to take pictures at such an early age.

Photography will probably become an automatic skill for the young feller--and it will probably shape the way he deals with what he sees. You might well be nurturing a future photographic star.

Now, to get back on thread ... if I can only find a suitable boat camera at a suitable price. I've got an Olympus digital SLR, which I love--but I don't like to bring it aboard.

--Joe

"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627