News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

WD-40

Started by Jack Tar, December 22, 2005, 06:52:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jack Tar

WD-40 is a solvent not a lubricant. Remeber that and you wont go to far wrong. If your going to lube something use the right thing.
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

Captain Smollett

Nor is it a good optical glass cleaner.

I once read in a Sniper Manual to NOT use WD-40 to clean your rifle scope. :o

(OT a little bit, but I wonder how many firearms have been rurnt using WD-40 to lube moving parts...)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Amorous

But it IS a good fish attractant.  Just use yarn sprayed with WD-40. 

Solace

You have to be kidding - WD 40 attracts fish? Say it isn't so - no wonder I suck at fishing - I never do that. LOL

John

Amorous

I know! It sounds nuts!  But it works.  We first tried it after a fishing guide told us about it on a charter.   Used it ever since.  You just don't argue with what works.

CapnK

It *does* sound nuts, but hey, if it works... :D

I'll be passing that tip on, as well as trying it out meself, to see if the southern fishys like the taste of petrochemicals as well as their northern brethren. :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Kailyst

Can't wait to try this next time we're out and I need to catch some dinner. What a surprise for my Captain when I ask for the WD-40 and get out the fishing rod!!  :o
We're all here because we're not all there.

starcrest

I think wd 40 is actually something developed by the military to dry wet wires..hence  WD (wire drier) 40..I am not sure correct me if I am wrong
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

captedteach

Water Displacement - Formula number 40. 

It does have lubricating properties but they dissipate rather quickly - its better than nothing, just not the best item for most application

Its really good for lubricating your neighbors windsheild wipers after they piss you off  ;D
Hold my beer and watch this poop

CaptTeach

Sid T

I have read that it was ( water displacer # 40).

Dougcan

The base for WD-40 base is supposedly fish oil, with a shot of ether for the aroma.  Dunno if they still use the ether nowadays. I remember reading about the invention of WD-40 way back when and the guy who came up with the final formula mentioned noticing that commercial fishermen used the oil from the fish they caught to lube and coat the metal parts on their boat to protect their metal parts.  Not sure if he was talking about pre-motor boats or not.

An official history from the maker of WD-40 (http://www.wd40.com/AboutUs/our_history.html)

"In 1953, a fledgling company called Rocket Chemical Company and its staff of three set out to create a line of rust-prevention solvents and degreasers for use in the aerospace industry, in a small lab in San Diego, California.

It took them 40 attempts to get the water displacing formula worked out. But they must have been really good, because the original secret formula for WD-40—which stands for Water Displacement perfected on the 40th try—is still in use today.

Convair, an aerospace contractor, first used WD-40 to protect the outer skin of the Atlas Missile from rust and corrosion. The product actually worked so well that several employees snuck some WD-40 cans out of the plant to use at home."

An interesting note from another page at the WD-40 website at http://www.wd40.com/Brands/wd40_faqs.html:
"What does WD-40 contain?
While the ingredients in WD-40 are secret, we can tell you what WD-40 does NOT contain.  WD-40 does not contain silicone, kerosene, water, wax, graphite, chlorofluorocarbons (CFCs), or any known cancer-causing agents."

I tried to google this to get some documental proof, and so far all I found was the following (from the above WD-40 web page) "The chemist, Norm Larsen, was attempting to concoct a formula to prevent corrosion—a task which is done by displacing water".  Elsewhere it's said that three technicians came up with the final formula.

I found an interesting reference to some people that tried to analyze the ingredients of WD-40 at http://yarchive.net/chem/wd40.html

Most telling according to the MSDS (at: http://www.atmos.umd.edu/~russ/MSDS/wd40.htm) is that the main ingredient is apparently something called "Stoddard Solvent".  Of course there's no mention of fish oil.  I tried to Google the chemical composition of fish oil, to see if there is any correlation to the MSDS data, but gave up because there are too many pages of "health related" web pages to wade through.  If anyone knows what the makeup of fish oil is from a chemist POV is, please let us know.

s/v Faith

Ok, I'll take the bait....  ::)

" What is Stoddard solvent?
Stoddard solvent is a colorless, flammable liquid that smells and tastes like kerosene. It will turn into a vapor at temperatures of 150–200 °C.

Stoddard solvent is a petroleum mixture that is also known as dry cleaning safety solvent, petroleum solvent, and varnoline; its registered trade names are Texsolve S® and Varsol 1®. It is a chemical mixture that is similar to white spirits.

Stoddard solvent is used as a paint thinner; in some types of photocopier toners, printing inks, and adhesives; as a dry cleaning solvent; and as a general cleaner and degreaser. "

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/tfacts79.html

Link also says.....

"... People who breathe Stoddard solvent can experience headaches; dizziness; and eye, skin, or throat irritation. This substance has been found in at least 7 of the 1,430 National Priorities List Sites identified by the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)."  :P

Does not sound like fish oil to me :o :o :o
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.