News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

cutter bit info??

Started by Frank, December 19, 2006, 01:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

I just bought a rotary cutting tool. Figure it would be great to cut out ports etc. I'm not sure what 'bit' works?? locally they have ...ceramic tile..laminate floor..steel and wood bits. What works best on fiberglass. I was thinking maybe 'ceramic tile' but never tried it. Any experience out there??
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Ol' Coot

I thought about the same question and decided to go for the ceramic tile cutter.

Steel & wood is likely to be designed to handle an occasional nail in wood.

I suspect that laminate flooring is either wood laminate (plywood with a nice veneer) or some type of un-reinforced plastic.  At any rate, your glass reinforced plastic is going to be a lot tougher than flooring.

Ceramic, on the other hand is a damned tough material.  Consider that they use it for brake pads in formula 1 race cars.

Kevin
"...somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"  - B.S. 1973

Fortis

I use a stanley adjustable hole saw with the carbide tipped tooth. Seems to work great, and can be resharpened.