Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Oil Lamps

Started by s/v Faith, December 22, 2005, 08:36:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Weems & Plath  Yacht Lamp

It seems kinda funny to be writing a review of a product that has been associated with sailing since the waleing days.

I wanted to post this though, so that anyone who might be thinking like I did would be able to cinsider one man's experience before they buy these lights.

I have both the Weems & Plath Yacht lamp (700 size) and the 'mini' yacht lamp (600 size).  Both are heavy brass lamps that burn well in wind and weather.  I have had the 'mini' out as an anchor light on rainy nights with lots of wind and it stayed lit.

The Mini is good for about 12 hours of burn time on a filing, just like the web site says.  The regular (700) size lamp says it is good for 30 hours.  I have never had it burning that long.

Ok, so here is my beef;

The Mini has the 'gimbal' that you can purchase to mount it on the bulkhead in the cabin.  I am glad I never mounted this, as it puts out very little light.  I have a small candle lantern that puts out nearly as much light as this.  I even tried the 'pie tin' reflector trick, it was still about like reading by candlelight.  Now, there is nothing wrong with reading by candle light, but when I use the small candle lantern to read I place it where the light is between me and the book..... not on a gimbals on the bulkhead.  Weems & Plath also makes a Atlantic oil lamp that is made to be mounted on the bulkhead that I have known others to be quite happy with.

The full size yacht lamp is seized closed.  I have tried EVERYTHING, and it will simply not open.  I can send it back to Weems & plath, and for around $55 they will fix it...... they cost $83 new.  The threads on the base are prone to seize with salt water intrusion, they are (IMHO) not machined as they might be to make them easier to open.

Either one would make a fine anchor light, but personally I was disappointed with the light output for use as a cabin light.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Zen

I have the mini and I am pleased with it. I do not/would not use it for reading. It is good general purpose light for the cabin or cockpit, but for reading I would go with an more focused brighter beam. I figured on using the mini lamp in concert with a reading LED or Halo 12 volt.
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Dougcan

Soak the threads with PB Blaster or if you cannot find, use any WD-40.

I've taken many a corroded part apart using both, PB Blaster seems to work faster and better.

Of course there's always those few parts that will never come apart without some damage, but so far, those has been few!

Rum doesn't work very well at all!

Frank

I agree and was also dissapointed with the dim light.I am VERY happy with my gimballed traditional oil lamp....ya can turn it down if too bright BUT ya can't turn the W&P up
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Solace

I also have the 700 series - on a gimballed mount - mounted to a bulkhead. I have never considered it for more than general light - the bulkhead placement is nowhere near where I'd want to read.

The saltwater tip is great - one more place to use anti seize prior to heading to the saltwater.

Cheers

John

Zen

Ok talking about lighting I came across this site on solar/12volt lights and stuff

http://www.global-merchants.com/home/gmlh.htm

Amorous

Zen

looks like a upscale camping light.  Oil or kero?

Amorous

Solace

My solar flashlight only works in the daytime.

;D

oded kishony

Speaking of lights, I recently purchased a flashlight that runs without batteries -no not a solar flashlight javascript:replaceText(' ;)', document.postmodify.message);
Wink This one has a magnet that slides back and forth-you're suppose to shake it which charges up a capacitor/battery sort of device. I'm amazed at how much light it puts out and how little you have to shake to charge it up. It isn't really convenient as a primary light source but it would be handy in an evacuation bag  since it's water proof, or simply as an emergency light. One drawback is that the magnet is quite strong and so it cannot be stored anywhere near a compass

Oded Kishony

Zen

Yeah, I just got three of those.
1  for home, boat, car. I also thought great emergency light

s/v Faith

Quote from: Amorous on January 11, 2006, 01:23:50 PM
Anyone ever use one of these?

They work great!~  But, much like a coleman lantern produce a LOT of light, and heat.  Don't think I would want one below decks. 

Quite pricy too, at least they were a few years ago when a friend of mine bought one.

I do like the idea of multi-fuel though.... might be able to rid my boat of that 'flam-locker' motif.  :o

starcrest

I have one of those mini lamps and they are ok.even with the most premium fuel they give off some schmutt so I may just use it in the cock pit......perhaps if I used that scintenilla oil(maybe not spelled  rite ) it can be used as a mosquito repellant,hmmmmmmmm?
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

s/v Faith

Tried one of the old style 'Deitz' mine lamps as an aux anchor light / mosquito repellant dispenser.

Any wind at all and it was out.

Still looking.

AdriftAtSea

I have the mini yatch lamp, and it is okay for a general purpose, keep the cabin from being as dark as the inside of a sewer at night, light, but not good for much else. 

The pressurized lanterns are great for light and heat, but not so good in the summer time.   

LED lighting is excellent, and I have a couple that are solar-panel charged, yet bright enough to read by.  They were made by hacking a typical solar-powered garden walkway lamp apart and the panels are mounted in the cabin main hatch—losing some efficiency due to the hatch being grey.

The shake-powered lights are great, but be aware that they do have a honking big magnet in them and can much up compass readings from several feet away.  Happened on a friend's boat... and couldn't figure it out until I found his "emergency flashlight" in the drawer in the nav console, about two feet from the bulkhead compass. :D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

I have been looking for just the right oil lamp for years.

I have tired the Weems & Plath anchor lights (large and small) and a few others.

I just missed the opportunity to buy one of these;

On craigs list... anyone have one laying around that needs a home?

JWalker

s/v Faith

Yea, that is the one.

... I hate it that I end up with very specific ideas about what will work for me... I like that design, since it is compact but is supposed to produce a fair amount of light. 

I am not sure why they still have it listed (some folks just don't take adds down from craigs list)...

Sure wish I could find one.. the best I have found so far was nearly 300 on ebay. ::)