Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

USCG Aux Vessel Safety Checks

Started by s/v Faith, January 28, 2007, 08:42:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

SOmething to consider;

For the last few years our YC has invited a couple guys over from the USCG Aux to do vessel safety checks.

They do a pretty simple straight forward inspection using this checklist (PDF). Or Click here to see what they cover.

Now, some might be thinking that they do their own safety checks so this is unnecessary... maybe so.  What is the date on your flares (no fair peaking) how about your extinguishers, are they charged?  ???  Yea it is simple stuff, but sometimes having someone else take a look can be helpful.

You also get a decal that shows law enforcement you have taken the time to be inspected in advance..... some have said this decal lessens your chance of being boarded.   :P

Also, they DO NOT write tickets so there is nothing to worry about.  You can get more info on the program, and request an inspection here.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

I think it's a great program.

Interesting idea though is that the kind of person who would ask for such an inspection is the kind that would generally keep their stuff in ship shape.  The folks that don't care, don't care, I guess.

Now, the biggest reason I have not asked for one is because my boat is usually a bit, uh, messy.  I couldn't handle the embarrassment of inviting a 'pro' on board...   :D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

printed both things out and just read them over. Looks to me like all I need to do is secure our two 3 gallon fuel tanks (which I should and will do anyway) and mount ONE of our larger then required fire extinquishers- we carry two larger ones.

Otherwise we look to be good to go.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

pogo2

The safty check is something I've had done every season on my boat since I've owned it, (5 years). The decal is a sign to the local law people that your boat is in compliance and up to date with all the safety equipment, and they very seldom bother you. A few years ago 20 powerboats and the only 2 sailboats were checked at my marina, the sailboats passed and the power boats didn't.
Men and ships will rot if moored to long

s/v Faith

Update;

The inspectors with the USCG Aux came today and inspected several of our club members boats.

Most passed, one owner having purchased a new air horn, and flares (old ones were expired).  This was his first inspection, he was happy he had it done and more happy yet to have avoided to ticket that might have come had he been boarded.

One boat failed, all flares onboard were expired, and the nav lights did not come on... none of them.  The switches had been left on. :-\  Lousy to find it, but how much better to find on an inspection then on an upcoming trip?

One boat was not inspected as the owner realized they did not have the registration card.... it can now be replaced without the hassle that might have come had this bee noticed when boarded.

Faith passed,  ;D but the inspector noticed that one of my fire extinguishers was right on the edge of being in the red.  I had checked it 2 weeks ago.. it was fine ???  Maybe it was the cold.  I even got a couple complements on my de-watering system, and safety gear stowage.   :)

I asked about the rumor I have heard that the Coast Guard has increased boarding of sailboats.  I have heard this mentioned twice now by people boarded so far this year...

I asked the inspector if he had heard anything about this, and he said he had not but would not be surprised since he knows that the issue of sailboats not being boarded as much has come up before.

Apparently the Coast Guard noticed that they boarded power boats much more often then sail boats.  I think there would be a couple reasons for this (sail=better seamanship, and sailboats are harder to 'pull over')

I also learned that there has been some change in required equipment on small boats operating on inland waters this year.  He said that flares on boats in inland waters are no longer going to be required.  I have not yet found anything about this on the web, the CFR would have to be revised...  But here is a link to the current regulations on visual distress signals.

Captain Smollett

It's kinda off topic, I suppose, but your remark about the change in the Inland Rules no longer requiring flares reminding me of a story.  I once took some first time sailors, long time power boaters (and avid jet skiers,  ::) ) sailing.  At the dock before we left, they asked me if I had an oar or a paddle on board (this was lake sailing, pre-dingy). I said, "No."

I was then told that they thought it was "the law" for all boats to carry an oar or a paddle.  Or it should be.  :o

I dunno, maybe power boaters just think DIFFERENTLY...   ;D ;D

On the topic of Inland Rules changing, the State laws may be slow to follow; don't they apply to Inland Waters as well, or just lakes and such?
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

s/v Faith

Quote from: Captain Smollett on February 17, 2007, 07:38:42 PM
.......On the topic of Inland Rules changing, the State laws may be slow to follow; don't they apply to Inland Waters as well, or just lakes and such?

It is kinda screwy.  THe states DO have authority, but generally don't duplicate federal laws.  For instance, in NC there are no pieces of required equipment other then what federal law requires.  What IS required is that all children 14 years and under have to wear PFD's.

Some states DO pass their own laws, but I believe most relate more to registration issues (and some talk of licensure) then anything else..... unless you are talking about personal water craft, which are getting more and more attention every year.

s/v Faith

Just a bump,

Many of us have had boats for some time and generally feel like we have our stuff together.  I have recently experienced just how easy it is to be wrong about this, I would like to encourage anyone to think about having one of these VSCs done.  Not gong to cost you anything, no possibility of ticket or fine... And best of all you get a second set of eyes to check and see if you have missed anyting.

Something to think about.