Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Frozen solid

Started by Solace, January 31, 2007, 06:36:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solace

Argh!
I'm frozen solid. It started almost a week ago when the bubbler system wasn't switched on overnight. Usually when that happens we switch on the bubbler in the morning and within a few hours the bubblers manage to erode the ice from beheath. However, it seems my bubblers are slightly lower in the water - they're hung from the gunwhales by nylon packing strap material. The lower pipes suffer as the air pressure seeks the easiest path - the holes closer to the surface - unfortunatly for me, those holes are all around my neighbours boats.

Before you go and suggest that I simply raise the lines, its not that simple. The nylon will simply break where it enters the ice, and the ice is now over 2" thick. I lose them, I'm screwed to retreive them till spring. All night the temps drop and I listen to the grinding sounds against the hull as the sheets of ice shift - very unnerving, especially if it's your first time hearing it. This is my fifth winter, so hardly the first. I have a fibreglas boat, built in the 77, so the glass is fairly thick, but still you can't help but wonder just how much she can take. In the end, the ice will win.

In the end, it will be the sun that will help the most. We can try to put in an agitator, but its difficult to get it close enough - no open water around my boat. We're well past being able to rock the boat free. We've tried pumping up the pressure - all the way to 75 psi - doesn't change it for me - the air still takes the path of least resistance.

Ok gang - any ideas? Ya gotta admit - at least this one isn't boring. LOL

Thanks in advance of your helpful suggestions.

John

Oyster

I really have no solutions for being frozen in except wait till it gets warmer or move to a warmer climate. Sorry, had to say it.  ;D But if it will help you pass the time away, we have been sailing off and on for the past month, even in the middle 40 degree weather we had yesterday along the coastal waters of North Carolina. We had some friends up from Florida that really enjoyed the nice weather, even though I did loan them a hunting boggin to protect a balding spot.  :)

Lynx

grain alcohol 190 proof or rum
MacGregor 26M

s/v Faith

QuoteThanks in advance of your helpful suggestions.

John

Wow, two inches thick?  I was gonna suggest running a hose and using running water to try to melt the ice nearest the hull and then rocking it.  Seems like if you broke a hole in the ice first you might be able to work your way around the boat....

I was frozen in here in NC twice.  Both times the ice was less then 1/2" so it was really more of a novelty then a problem.... I just motored out of the slip to break it up.

Good luck!
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Oyster

I guess my reply was not too helpfull. Sorry.  I have also heard that we maybe getting some of that nasty weather this weekend. But its almost springtime, even though March is unpredictable.

sailor

If it getting above freezing point during the day, how about a kerosene heater with a blower, like they use for pre-heating small airplanes in the winter?  Maybe you can borrow it from your local airport? Or try just a shop kerosene heater first? Some of them are cracking nice 90k BTU.

AdriftAtSea

If you have the bubblers running... it might be worthwhile to drill/punch a few holes—say a dozen or so—in the ice around the hull of your boat.  a few inches out from the hull.  Doing that will allow the air to bubble up and hopefully melt the ice that has formed.  A series of 1" holes would probably do the trick nicely. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Adrift wrote;
QuoteIf you have the bubblers running...

Solace wrote;

Quote from: Solace on January 31, 2007, 06:36:36 AM
Argh!
I'm frozen solid. ....Usually when that happens we switch on the bubbler in the morning and within a few hours the bubblers manage to erode the ice from beheath. However, it seems my bubblers are slightly lower in the water - they're hung from the gunwhales by nylon packing strap material. The lower pipes suffer as the air pressure seeks the easiest path - the holes closer to the surface - unfortunatly for me, those holes are all around my neighbours boats

His bubblers are plumbed on a common air supply hose as his neighbors, they are lower in the water then the others, so no air will come out of them.  At least that is what I get from this.

Maybe if you just use hot water to melt the ice around the straps that hold the bubblers, and then raise them?

Zen

Quote from: Solace on January 31, 2007, 06:36:36 AM
Argh!

Before you go and suggest that I simply raise the lines, its not that simple. The nylon will simply break where it enters the ice, and the ice is now over 2" thick. I lose them,

Hot water at the place where the nylon enters? Then raise once freed
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith

Maybe if you just use hot water to melt the ice around the straps that hold the bubblers, and then raise them?

Quote from: Zen

Hot water at the place where the nylon enters? Then raise once freed

Great minds think alike.   ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

yeah- how about boiling (or close to it) water from a garden sprayer? Set the nozzle for a single stream.

Then in the summer you can convert the sprayer to a boat shower-

Double duty ;D

Of course except for ever 10 or 20 years the only ice we see is in trays ;) so what do I know?
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Solace

You guys may not believe this - but hot water freezes quicker than room temperature. I have no idea why but it does.

All good suggestions - but each presents a challenge. The boat is enclosed in a shrink wrap plastic dome, which travels down the hull by more than a foot. 2" is not enough to support weight to walk on it - ok, not my weight and my dinghy is also frozen in. Getting at the straps is difficult at best.

At the end of the day, I think I have to hope for warmer weather soon = sunshine would be nice - and then raise it when I can. Eventually I can rock it free though this also risks breaking the nylon lines and sinking the pipes. May already have a few broken from this - can't get close enough to tell. Adding to the problem, I am stern in on a 22 ft finger - they are the closest to shore, so I can't walk out very far.

Welcome to living aboard in the Great White North. This is the last winter here - next year its the Bahamas!

Thanks again for all your suggestions

John

s/v Faith

Here is some Grog for you John,

If the suggestions don't help maybe that will.    :P

Think Spring!    ;D

Cmdr Pete

Oh Boy

Around here, the marinas usually have a work boat bust up the ice before it gets too thick, in addition to the bubblers

I think the boat will be fine. I'd make sure all the seacocks are closed. Hoping the're bronze
1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Solace on January 31, 2007, 03:28:41 PM

All good suggestions - but each presents a challenge. The boat is enclosed in a shrink wrap plastic dome, which travels down the hull by more than a foot. 2" is not enough to support weight to walk on it - ok, not my weight and my dinghy is also frozen in. Getting at the straps is difficult at best.

Okay, so get a LOOONG mop handle, section of 2x2, 2x4, whatever.  Pile on top of it some salt.  Slide it out onto the ice alongside the boat.  When stretched out, tip it to dump the salt.  Repeat as necessary.  This might soften things up enough to at least get you started, and you never have to leave the dock.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

A garden hose running water into one spot WILL erode ice.Could you run it where you need to long enough. You would be surprised how 'relatively' fast it works down. From one 'canuck' to another ; ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

AdriftAtSea

Hot water usually freezes faster because of two reasons... One, it tends to lose heat very quickly, since heat loss is dependent on the temperature difference IIRC, and two, it tends to have less dissolved gases, which means that it has a higher freezing temperature. 

Try freezing seltzer water and plain tap water...and see which freezes first.

Last resort is asking the local weather goddess for warm weather... I'll put a word in with mine...but she's here on the east coast... ;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more