-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Chrysler Sailors?

Started by s/v Faith, February 06, 2007, 09:13:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Does anyone here sail a Chrysler?

If so, please contact me.

Here is the Chrysler Sailors discussion forum.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

No, but I drive a Dodge.   ;D ;D ;D

(sorry)

Is there a relationship between the Chrysler sail boats and their older power boats?  I "inherited" a Chrysler 18ft er a couple of years ago.  The wiring on the 100 HP 1969 Johnson outboard had been fried, the steering linkage broken and the floor was rotten.  Who knew if the ob would run - I could not turn it over even with the plugs out. There were no seats.  The fiberglass was heavily oxidized.

I started working on it; pulled off all the old wiring, only to find a replacement harness was VERY expensive.  Thought about hand-rewiring.  That was going to be a pain.  Cut out the old floor, cut new ply to replace it, etc.  Removed the sheer battens (also rotten) and began working up new laminated ones.  Bought some nice folding seats.  Buffed the hull.

In the end, I gave up on it.  We took it to the landfill before we moved from our last house.  The tiliting tandem axle trailer it was on was the only salvagable thing on it, really.  I ended up giving that to the loader operator at the landfill. (We were moving from a fairly large house to a much smaller house and parring down as much as we could at the time - I did keep TWO boats  :) ).

I know, I probably get anti-karma for doing that to a boat.  But it was put energy into THAT boat, or my sailboat.  In the end, i would have spent $1000's restoring an old run-about that is basically a dime a dozen and I figured I did not have enough money to give money away.

On another note, I've seen some of the Chrysler sailboats around for sale.  The ones I've seen look like they'd make pretty good daysailers.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Zen

I always prefered Checy's, but they do not sail that well. However with the right equipment they do fly.  :P

sorry I had to. ;D
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

The Chrysler outboards were not bad in their day, I have worked on a couple of them and they were put together about like other outboards of that vintage.

I have no experience with their powerboats, I read something about them once.... but the Chrysler Sail Boats were decent trailer sailors.

The Chrysler 22 was a Nathaniel Hershoff design, with a fixed or swing keel.  I would take one over a Catalina 22. 
-
The Chrysler 26 looks almost exactly like the Hunter 25 in the slip next to mine.  I can not say how the 26 sails.  There were others, the best place to get info on them is the link I provided in the first post on this thread.

Godot

There was a 20-something foot Chrysler in the slip next to mine for a couple of weeks.  The thing had tons of freeboard.  I imagine it was very comfortable inside.  Looked like it would be a poor sailor; but I really don't know.
Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

s/v Copacetic

I thought I would revive this topic since I know we now have some more Chrysler sailors here, including me  ;D

I have a '79 Chrysler 26. I mention the year because the deck and house design changed a bit in '79 from the "bullet nose" to a more traditional look. The 26 was also designed by Halsey Hershoff and is very much a scaled up C 22. With 6' of headroom it has room for some mini cruising. She still has the original Chrysler Sailor 280 outboard which runs just fine.

We live in Rockford, IL, a bit NW of Chicago, so I'm sure she'll see plenty of Lake Michigan, probably launching in Waukegan, IL or Racine, WI.

I believe the Chrysler sailboats were built in the same factory as the old Chrysler powerboats, Chrysler Marine in Texas. Although the Marine division was turning a profit, Chrysler was forced to sell them off during the first round of government bailouts back in the early 80's. Maybe they should have sold off the car business and concentrated on boats!
Tom and Cathy
1979 Chrysler 26
On a sailboat, you're already there.

ronc98

I have a 77 C-26  that I sail around Lake Erie! 

I love the boat she sails so smooth. 

The free board on windy days makes turning into the wind sometimes tough!

Gus

I have a C-22, fairly happy with it, but I think its about time to move up to something more seaworthy (I have a Pearson in mind :))
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina
www.flickr.com/photos/gus_chrysler22/

Mario G

Hey Gus  I really like my C-22 and think its the perfect all around boat for what I need and preperations are being made for costal and blue water sailing. If I think "We need a bigger boat" I'm going straight for a C-26, its just something about the design they share.

The hunt for the right boat is part of the fun andthere are all kinds of great deals at this time, hope you find what your looking for.  The Pearson's are nice boats...I was seconds from owning one.

ronc98

It is nice to see all the Chrysler sailors here.     I am searching for a more blue water boat as well.   I love my C-26 but with the swing keel I think it limits it to coastal cruising. 

Gus

mmm I don't know if I have the testicular material to take a swing keel boat out to blue waters, it can get pretty nasty out there. Coastal its ok. I made a trip to Ocracoke to the Outer Banks (12 hours sail) and I think that's my limit right there.

Gus
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina
www.flickr.com/photos/gus_chrysler22/

s/v Faith

Here is a bump for 'ex caveman'.

(hint, some pictures woudl be GREAT.)  ;D

excavman

I really like my Chrysler, she has the sleekest lines of any I've seen. I hope she sails as good as she looks. I'm going down to Port O'Connor on Monday maybe I'll get her in the water soon.

Here is a link to my boat picture album on facebook, check out the wing keel.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=28947&id=100000885334986&l=d3b35aa0cb

Larry
Chrysler C-22
S/V Sally Ann

Grime

Larry
Your facebook link didn't work. See you tomorrow.

David
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

excavman

Hi David,
Let me try again, here's my photo bucket link:

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l501/excavman/

Let me know if that works.

See you tomorrow afternoon.

Larry

PS -- I downloaded a list of ICW anchorages.
Chrysler C-22
S/V Sally Ann

Grime

She is looking good. I'm going to my boat tomorrow morning but will catch up with you when we get home.

David
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

excavman

Finally got her in the water with the help of Grime and a few others. David and I did a little run out to the Bay and back. Thanks a lot David, much appreciated.

Larry

http://s1121.photobucket.com/albums/l501/excavman/Maiden%20Voyage/
Chrysler C-22
S/V Sally Ann

Grime

No problem Larry. Glad to have been able to help out.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

jotruk

very nice looking boat. would like to see more pics of her underway
s/v Wave Dancer
a 1979 27' Cherubini Hunter
Any sail boat regardless of size is a potential world cruiser, but a power boat is nothing more than a big expense at the next fuel dock

evantica

Nice looking boat, wanna see her sailing! youtube.com?