Coffee: How old is too old? Coffie pot & maker review

Started by s/v Faith, February 06, 2007, 11:53:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

Quote from: SV Wind Dancer on January 23, 2010, 05:27:23 PM
Kona does nothing for me...all price and no delivery IMO...but what do I know; cold baked beans out of a can? Yummy. (When I shake the inverted can to drop the last solitary bean into the abyss I hold my pinkie extended to compensate for my gaucherie)
Good man.  :)  Here is a spot of grog to wash it down with...
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Shipscarver

I wish I could be a discriminating coffee lover.  But, being an ancient curmudgeon living alone on my boat, I need it to wake up and/or get functional, in a form that will not peel my teeth.  So, I heat water, add instant, and drink.  :D  If it's too hot aboard to want to boil water, add instant cabin temp coffee to water, shake, and drink.  :-\
It will never win a prize, but it works.
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

wildman

Quote from: Shipscarver on March 02, 2010, 09:33:35 PM
I wish I could be a discriminating coffee lover.  But, being an ancient curmudgeon living alone on my boat, I need it to wake up and/or get functional, in a form that will not peel my teeth.  So, I heat water, add instant, and drink.  :D  If it's too hot aboard to want to boil water, add instant cabin temp coffee to water, shake, and drink.  :-\

I had a roomate in college who has you beat -- he poured a little water into the bottle of instant coffee, stirred it around, and then ate it with a spoon!
Paul Miller
s/v Lazy Susan
1987 Nimble 20 Yawl
Deland, FL

Tim

Quote from: wildman on March 02, 2010, 10:52:01 PM
Quote from: Shipscarver on March 02, 2010, 09:33:35 PM

I had a roomate in college who has you beat -- he poured a little water into the bottle of instant coffee, stirred it around, and then ate it with a spoon!

OK Now I have to admit,......there was a time,....when I was both working AND being socially active,.....I would just grab a few unground beans on my way out the door ::)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

Were they MOLDY beans?  Humm....?

You need to go back to the start of this thread.

Lets talk after that.

Tim

Oh they were always fresh. I picked up the habit working long night janitorial jobs when we did the floors on an Ice cream/coffee place.

Nowadays I am MUCH more civilized, a Krups machine at home and a SS French Press on the road or seas.
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

tomwatt

Part of this thread had been bothering me for some time now... the issue being that I never seem to have any "old" coffee, no matter how big a pot I make. Then I caught myself yesterday morning when I was making my oatmeal... it seems I am in the habit of absentmindedly pouring the remains of the coffee pot into the oatmeal mix as I get ready to cook it.
So there you have it, a coffee addict of Scottish ancestry shares his darkest secrets! No falling asleep over my oatmeal!
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

Captain Smollett

Coffee on oatmeal is not bad...pretty good.  When backpacking, you learn such tricks to lower weight/save time.

Coffee with green, fuzzy stuff floating on it from several days of heat-cold cycling?  That's another kettle of fish...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Leroy - Gulf 29

Coffee on oatmeal?  I remember (fuzzily) beer on cheerios in college, but didn't try coffee on oatmeal  ;D

AdriftAtSea

Sorry Capn, but both of those sound pretty nasty...
Quote from: Captain Smollett on March 09, 2010, 11:38:01 PM
Coffee on oatmeal is not bad...pretty good.  When backpacking, you learn such tricks to lower weight/save time.

Coffee with green, fuzzy stuff floating on it from several days of heat-cold cycling?  That's another kettle of fish...

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

Coupla coffee links @Lifehacker today:

Drink Darker Coffee for a Happier Stomach - works for me!

and

Three Cups of Coffee a Day Good for Your Brain - this is pretty much for women only, durn it. :)

And here's one from a week or so ago that might come in handy to know in some far-flung, foreign port where you can only get green coffee beans:

Roast Coffee With A Drill and A Soup Can

;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

jdsackett

ok guys. youre making this coffee stuff way too complicated. years (decades) ago i lived in a rural town in southern utah. a friend of mine owned a dairy farm and had a few hundred head of range cattle up in the hills. anyway, he asked me if i wanted to go on a roundup, and since i had never been on one i said heck yeah. spent the next 5 days on horseback rounding up cattle, solving the worlds problems and drinking entirely too much whiskey. for coffee the cook put on a huge pot of water, threw in some coffee and an egg shell and boiled it till it was done. if you got a few grounds in your cup, oh well. think the stuff would peel paint, but it would get my hungover butt back on my horse. anyway, we actually did get the cattle rounded up and a great time was had by all. miss those days sometimes. regards, j.d.

SV Wind Dancer

Really good if you have a handful of snow to throw in the pan after you take it off the fire, settles the sediment...finest thing on a cold mountain is that early AM pan of coffee.  But a cuppa generic drip on the deck of WD watching the sunrise is not to be despised...

tomwatt

And for those with an e-reader, there is always "All About Coffee" by William H. Ukers, published in 1922.
http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/28500
Oh yes, it's free.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

s/v Faith

Wow,

The last time I priced stainless percolators, I found them to be quite spendy.

Look at this thing from Faberware....

What is amazing is that it is less then $20!

skylark

I have one of those on the boat, it is a good piece of equipment.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

JWalker

I french press....bring water just to a boil and steep for 5 mins.

first mate doesnt drink coffee so I use a 20 oz thermal stainless press

http://www.planetarydesign.us/products.html?paction=deskpress

it doubles as a travel mug for when we get underway early, I just press and drink from the press.

8)

s/v Emerald Tide

Quote from: Captain Smollett on March 09, 2010, 11:38:01 PM

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Yeah, that's been my cutoff point, too.  But then again, I've never had to decide between scraping off green furry islands or having no coffee, which might just lower the bar... 
I think penicillin came from such things as grow on the top of "aged" coffee.  Dial up that immune system!

s/v Faith

I just spent 2 weeks drinking instant coffee poured into water from the tanks... not even heated.  The boat I was on had a gimbaled stove but no handholds in the galley...  :o

A little mold would have been ok... instant coffee in oily water that was not even warm was a new low even for me.

s/v Emerald Tide

Quote from: s/v Faith on April 07, 2012, 11:00:14 PM
I just spent 2 weeks drinking instant coffee poured into water from the tanks... not even heated.  The boat I was on had a gimbaled stove but no handholds in the galley...  :o

A little mold would have been ok... instant coffee in oily water that was not even warm was a new low even for me.

Instant coffee in cold oily water has set the bar "so low you can't get under it."  Congratulations, you have won the "Dedicated to coffee drinking, no matter what" prize!   This highly valued honor comes with a $3 coupon to Starbucks....