News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Hard Dodgers

Started by Godot, February 26, 2007, 08:32:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AdriftAtSea

Also, will it interfere with the sliding companionway hatch?  Can it work in place of a seahood? 
Quote from: skylark on June 21, 2010, 10:35:24 AM
Some things to think about in the design processs:

Where will rain accumulate and drip?

Will your head hit it when exiting the cabin?

Can you see over/around/through it when standing holding the tiller? Sitting?

Make sure it can be used as a safe handhold with a good place to grip while in the cockpit and going forward.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

mitiempo

I am thinking of a hard dodger as well, but only over the hatch itself and a ways forward so I have a place to put a few items. The problem I have is I cannot put a full dodger on and use the cabintop winches effectively without it being too wide and looking bad in my opinion. As well, my CS27 is of the size where a large dodger looks out of proportion. I haven't decided on shape yet bit it will be built of 2 layers of doorskin epoxied together and glassed inside and out. The sides will angle in slightly from the deck up. It will be rounded on all edges and crowned on top.  I want to be able to leave the hatch open and sit under it to look around when using a windvane. The reason I want a hard dodger is than I don't think I would ever fold it anyway as most don't and a hard dodger can be built for a lot less than buying even an inexpensive soft one.
Here's a pic of my boat followed by a pic of the kind of dodger I am thinking of, in shape but not material.
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.

mitiempo

Here are a few pics of the hard dodger on one of my previous boats, a 35' custom design. This hard dodger was part of the original design and works well. It might give someone some ideas.
Living afloat in Victoria B.C.