Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Bridgedeck Project

Started by BobW, April 29, 2007, 02:23:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BobW

Am I losing my mind, or what?

I swear I read a thread/post (with pics)  here on SailFar about someone building or rebuilding their bridgedeck.  I can't find that thread.  I used the search function - which I like very much, by the way - without success. 

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI
Building Gardens of Fenwick, a Welsford Pathfinder
Karen Ann, a Storer Goat Island Skiff

s/v Faith

Bob,

Don't remember it, but I will look,
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

s/v Faith

Bob,

Don't remember it, but I will look,

(on edit)

Take a look at this thread.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

BobW

Craig,

Thanks for looking.  I remember (and re-read) that post because Prelude (being a flush deck design) shares many of the Tartan-Ten issues and concerns.

The thread I remember had pics showing the installation of an access hatch in the top of a newly constructed bridgedeck.  I sure wish I could find that thread.  I'll keep looking.

I'm not ready to start another project - I've got several in the works already - but the ideas keep coming whether I'm ready or not!  In the meantime, I have plenty to keep me busy.

Thanks again.

Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI

AdriftAtSea

I think I know what thread you're thinking of.  However, I believe it was a new cockpit sole locker that had the new access hatch that was pictured, not a bridgedeck.  I'm in the process of designing a  bridgedeck for my boat, since she doesn't have one at the moment, and I think it is a good idea for several reasons. 

First, installing a bridgedeck will make the volume of the cockpit smaller, which reduces the amount of water it will hold if the boat is pooped. 

Second, it will help prevent water from downflooding into the cabin from the cockpit. 

Third, it will give me a fair amount of additional storage, which is rather scarce on my little boat.

I will probably use 1/4" plywood as the core and then build around it.  I was planning on glassing in the two vertical dividers first, then mounting cleats to them, and then screwing down the top to the cleats and then glassing over the top. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

BobW

Dan,

I agree with you on the advantages of a bridgedeck.  I've had water back-flow into the cockpit when on a broad reach (the boat really squats down) and had to bail to keep water out of the cabin.  Watching that happen, I wondered what to do about it... sometimes the obvious isn't.  My thread (more specifically, I think one of your posts in that thread) about the design "flaws" of the Columbia Challenger and the thread (Kevin's?) about the Tartan-Ten (with similar "flaws") brought the realization that I could solve the problem by building a bridgedeck.  In conjunction with a new bridgedeck I plan to reduce the size of the companionway from its current 36" x 30" cavern-like dimensions (for obvious reasons). 

I'll be interested in following your design and build project so I can learn how it should be done. 

Thanks.

Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI

AdriftAtSea

I'll be interested in following your design and build project so I can learn how it should be done.

Bob-

You're being far too kind.... more like what mistakes not to make... ;)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

CharlieJ

I converted our Lindesey 21 from a conpanionway that went to the bottom of the cockpit, to a bridge deck. I don't have pics of the project, but I can describe it and or email you a scanned sketch.

I also reduced the companionway opening on Tehani from 32 x 32 down to a reasonable 24 by 24, and added a seahood. Those pics I do have.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

CharlieJ-

I'd love for you to send or post a description or sketch.  :D

Thanks,

Dan
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

paddlefoot

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on April 30, 2007, 10:11:38 AM
CharlieJ-

I'd love for you to send or post a description or sketch.  :D

Thanks,

Dan

Add me to the list of watchers looking for info.

A bridge deck is high up on the list of updates on my Gramp.
paddlefoot
--
Grampian 26 Owner

CharlieJ

Ok- I'll work on putting something together as soon as I can- it'll take a couple of days. Monday and Tuesday is our weekend, so I'll be busy on weekend type things ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

BobW

Charlie,

I'd appreciate seeing the pictures and reading your description of how to go about constructing a bridgedeck.  I look forward to your post.

I've got a 3-step project in mind: Reduce the size of the companionway.  Install a bridgedeck.  Install a seahood.
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI

Ol' Coot

Quote from: BobW on April 30, 2007, 09:45:52 PM
I'd appreciate seeing the pictures and reading your description of how to go about constructing a bridgedeck.  I look forward to your post.

Ditto.

Kevin
"...somewhere in the swamps of Jersey"  - B.S. 1973

BobW

Here's a picture of Prelude's companionway.  The opening measures 36" across the top, 35" across the bottom, and 30" high.  The cockpit seats are 11" high at the forward end. 

I'd like to reduce the size of the companionway to roughly 24" wide by 24" high (take out one hatch board plus a little), and then build the bridgedeck between the cockpit seats.  I think I'd use the space as a third cockpit locker - maybe stow the fenders and dock lines there while underway.

Of course narrowing the companionway means rebuilding the hatch, but then I'll have room to install a seahood.  :-)
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI

CapnK

Bob -

Just a thought here: what about if you made a 'semi-permanent hatchboard' to accomplish making the opening smaller?

A squared-off "U" shape, the vertical arms being 6" wide, the bottom being the height needed to raise the sill an appropriate distance, with a mounting flange around it's outside edges. Remove the wood slats the current boards sit in, and screw-and-glue it into place against the current companionway opening edges.

You could do a similar thing with the sliding hatch, making the seahood a part of the new construct.

It seems that it might be easier to construct them off the boat and install with screws/bolts and 42/5200/PU than it would be to construct them as an integral part of the house.

BTW, I have a nice bridgedeck on the Ariel, but will be building a locker in at the forward end of the footwell. It'll stow the propane tank, and cut down on how much water can be scooped up by the cockpit. Since I don't anticipate hosting large cocktail parties, I think I can get by just fine with a little less foot space. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

skylark

Just build a lower hatchboard and caulk it into place for a passage.  It would be good to add a crossbar securely fastened to the companionway sides to strengthen the cabin top a bit.
Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

AdriftAtSea

I thought about doing a permanent hatchboard, but decided that I wanted to reduce the cockpit size a bit and give myself a bit more storage space.  Trimarans are generally short on storage, since the bilge on my boat is about two inches deep... The cabin settees are built on the hull flare and have basically no space beneath them either...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

BobW

Okay, I really am getting ahead of myself.  I need to be planning another project right now like I need another root canal...  But I've got so many works-in-progress, one more isn't going to hurt - is it?

Kurt, your suggested "squared-off U" is exactly what I've had in mind.  I don't need to build a flange into the insert as there already is one in the companionway.  This is an old pic, and much of the mess in the pic has been repaired.

I figure 3/4" ply cut to size and epoxied in place.  I can cut the existing hatch boards down to the new size. 

What I hadn't figured out was how to narrow the hatch.  Charlie did a good  job explaining and illustrating how he did Tehani's hatch, but I've been leery of trying to lay up FG.  Your suggestion of using the same technique for the hatch as the companionway is a good one.  I can cut a piece to rest on and span the existing hatch slide rails (see the pic) and brace it in the middle to eliminate sag.  I'll then have a good platform to install a sea hood. 

Ignore the disgraceful condition of the cabin top - I had just removed the hatch to find that mess.  Rainwater collects there and in the right conditions spill into the cabin!  That problem will be eliminated with this project.

Thanks for the idea, and solving a problem.  :)
Bob Wessel
Fenwick, MI

Cmdr Pete

A permanent bridgedeck might be nice to have--on rare occasions. The rest of the time its going to be an inconvenience getting in and out of the cabin.

I would go with a removable "storm board." Cut out a piece of plywood the height of your two lower boards. When needed, you could secure it in place with barrel bolt locks or something.

On the sea hood, you can see some examples I came across when I was building mine here

http://www.pearsonariel.org/discussion/showthread.php?t=948

Its going to be a problem on your boat because a sea hood would limit how far you can open the sliding hatch, and you'll bang your head more than usual

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"

CharlieJ

Bob- I haven't forgotten about ya on the sketches. It's just been a really busy week, and now it's the weekend and the Duckworks Messabout is cranking up at our beach, 5 blocks from the house. If you'll remember, down by the cabanas. The first boats began rolling in last evening, so I'll be looking at and messing with boats this weekend ;D

I narrowed Tehani's companionway from 32 inches square, down to 24 inches square. When the slide is all the way open, you have about 22 inches- no problem whatso ever. Also, when we added the bridge deck on the other boat, we found it gave us MORE room. More sitting room in the cockpit and more room inside the boat. So it's a difference for sure, but it's really not terribly inconvienient.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera