U.S. Documented vessel discussion

Started by Zen, December 27, 2005, 08:07:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zen

Any of you out of the states voyagers have your boats U.S. documented?

Any advantange in doing that?

If so, where/how is it done?
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Amorous

Amorous is a documented vessel.  She was state registered when I got her but had been documented previously so it was simply a matter of supplying the USCG documentation center with a chain of ownership. 
I believe if the vessel hasn't ever been documented before that you must supply them with a current proof of ownership (title, etc.) and an affidavit of measurement (must be more than 5 tons net) which isn't the weight but a formula to measure "cargo capacity".
The advantages are that in most foreign countries a state registration isn't acceptable as the country doesn't have any reciprocal agreements with individual states, only with countries.

Zen

Hmmm, ok interesting.
So, does that mean you do not have to get registered in the residing state your in every year?
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

Jack Tar

Triska is documented. It just makes things one heck of a lot easyer when traveling into another country. Boat Papers please  Oh this boat is US documented great no problem.  Yes I still have to pay my state tabs once a year but I dont have to put those ugly numbers all over the bow. Only the state anual sticker. It also means no civil entity can board the vessel. Coast Guard only. 
It's not about the sails the boat or the rigging it's about  freedom

s/v Faith

'Faith' is not documented.

Looking into it, I see many pay 'services' to take care of the paperwork.  This seems like yet another unnecessary cost of boat ownership as the process is fairly straight forward.  Here is a link to the Coast Guard's site.

Link to USCG's Documentation FAQ's

Here is another link when you are trying to find the boat that just waked you and spilled your dinner all over the cabin floor.

Link to list of all documented US vessels searchable by name
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Amorous

It depends on which state you keep the boat in, NOT where you live, whether you have to do a state registration as well.  Some require it, some don't.  As far as paying someone to do the paperwork, that is one way, but I can't for the life of me figure why someone would need to do that.  It really isn't that complicated.  And you only have to do it once, pay $100 and then you're done paying.  No cost to renew, ever.  Unless you forget to renew on time, then I think you have to pay $25 or something.

starcrest

dont remind me .....never mind the boat do you know hawmany people here are not documented????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Pixie Dust

When I bought my boat she was already documented, so I just filled out the transfer papers, changed the name to PD, payed the little transfer of name fee and we were set.  Each year they send you a form to sign saying nothing has changed.  You sign, send back and they send you a current document, no extra fees for any of this.  In FL, I also have to pay state registration.  Here, if any boat is in the state for ( I believe it is 6 months ?) then it has to be state registered. 
I do not think paying someone to do this is necessary.  Easy forms on the website and the 800 number is easy to reach a real live person.  They are more than happy to answer your questions and will even tell you which forms you need. 
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

Oldguy52

Just curious ....... what does one do if he wants to go to a different country and his boat is under the 5 ton minimum for documentation ...... anybody know???
Rik

PS "Flicka" hull #230
S/V Happy Little Girls 2
http://www.signsbyrik.net/rik/our_flicka.html

s/v Faith

Quote from: Oldguy52 on January 08, 2006, 08:34:07 PM
Just curious ....... what does one do if he wants to go to a different country and his boat is under the 5 ton minimum for documentation ...... anybody know???

FWIW

I asked this question on a 'world cruising' list with many members.  Well, actually I asked if anyone had cruised without documentation.....

Several replied that they had done it in years past, but others were adamant that they would not consider it.  :-\

No one could point to an actual instance where not having a boat documented had caused any problems, just said it was 'bad'.

Joe Pyrat

FYI, BoatUS can help with the documentation process.  Here's the link:

http://www.boatus.com/documentation/
Joe Pyrat

Vendee Globe Boat Name:  Pyrat

s/v Faith

Quote from: Zen on December 27, 2005, 08:07:52 PM
Any of you out of the states voyagers have your boats U.S. documented?

Any advantange in doing that?

If so, where/how is it done?

Been a bunch of boats/folks added since Zen asked.  What say you?

AdriftAtSea

There are quite a few advantages to being USCG documented. 

The first is that you are recognized as a USA-flagged vessel when abroad.  This gives you some legal rights and protections that state-registered vessels do not have, since states are not recognized as sovereign nations.  Your boat is effectively US soil when aboard.

The second advantage is that USCG documentation acts as a legally recognized "passport" for your vessel, where some countries may not recognize state registrations.  This makes it much easier for customs officials to accept the identity of your boat when it is USCG documented.  This is probably due to two facts:  First, states are not sovereign nations of the own right.  Second, state registrations are all different, and it is harder for a foreign government to recognize them as valid due to these differences.

Another advantage at least in some states, Massachusetts being one of them, is that if you are federally documented, you do not need to be state registered. If you intend to keep the boat a long time, this means you can save a fair bit of money.... since federal documentation is a one-time fee, and renewals are free, where state registration must be paid every year.

Outside of the Caribbean, where state registrations are sometimes recognized, USCG documentation simplifies customs paperwork and your check-in/check-out process.  BTW, according to one of my friends who does deliveries for a living, in some countries, USCG vessels effectively pay lower customs fees, since they are allowed to check into the country upon arrival and check out upon leaving, where a state-registered vessel is often required to check in and out at every port. 

Another advantage of USCG documentation is that any liens on the boat must be recorded against the documentation certificate. This makes selling the boat easier, since the buyer can easily check for liens or encumbrances.  Most financing companies will require a larger boat to be USCG documented for this reason. 

However, there are four requirements for documentation, one of which is usually a problem for Sailfar sailors. 

First, the boat has to net 5 tons displacement.  This is usually difficult for vessels less than 26' in LOA. Even my boat, at 27' 6" just squeaks by, since it is a multihull and lighter displacement for the LOA than a monohull would be. 

Second, the boat's owner must be a US Citizen. 

Third, the vessel is used strictly for pleasure, no chartering, etc.

Fourth, the owner must be able to establish construction and ownership of the vessel.  This can be a bit more difficult on older vessels, which may not have as solid a paperwork trail.

I think that post 9/11, cruising on state registered boats is going to get more and more difficult.  Security has become a priority in many countries, and what was acceptable in years past may no longer be as lenient in the future.

One advantage of using a documentation service is that some of them, like real estate title companies, will do a title check on the boat, and will be responsible for any undiscovered liens and encumbrances.  Many banks require you to use a documentation service if you are buying and financing a boat through them.

Renewing the USCG documentation is really easy... you download a form from the USCG website, sign it and fax it to them.  The only information you need on the form is the boat name, USCG documentation number, and address of the owner.  The only information that can change is the address of the owner, otherwise you need to get a new documentation certificate. 

One of the biggest issues, according to the USCG Aux who did my VSC last year, for documented vessels, is many forget to install the documentation number inside the boat, as required by federal law.  The USCG documentation number must be installed on a clearly visible structural part of the boat, in such a manner that removing or altering the numbers would cause noticeable and significant damage in number at least 3" high.  The format is to be "No. ######".  The way I did it was to have the numbers made up on a copper plate, and I epoxied and bolted the copper plate to the interior of the boat.  :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

QuoteFirst, the boat has to net 5 tons displacement.  This is usually difficult for vessels less than 26' in LOA. Even my boat, at 27' 6" just squeaks by, since it is a multihull and lighter displacement for the LOA than a monohull would be.

Just to clarify.  This has nothing to do with actual displacement.  From the USCG.Mil's FAQ page on Documentation;

QuoteHOW DO I KNOW IF MY VESSEL MEASURES FIVE NET TONS?

Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel's volume.   It should not be confused with the vessel's weight, which may also be expressed in tons.   Most vessels more than 25 feet in length will measure five net tons or more.   For information about how tonnage is determined, including a web-based interactive form that calculates tonnages, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Center's web site at the Marine Safety Center's Tonnage Page.

A very beamy boat or a boat with a ot of freeboard could be smaller and still qualify.  I know of at least one Flicka which is documented.... don't know if the numbers were correctly submitted for it or not...

David_Old_Jersey

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on May 15, 2008, 07:05:47 AM
There are quite a few advantages to being USCG documented. 

The first is that you are recognized as a USA-flagged vessel when abroad.  This gives you some legal rights and protections that state-registered vessels do not have, since states are not recognized as sovereign nations.  Your boat is effectively US soil when aboard.

Not sure if you meant "aboard" or typoed "abroad"....the former I do not know about (it's a purely US thing), but the latter is not strictly true (with possible exceptions in certain countries / US dependent territories).....but no point commenting at the moment  :)

Tim

OK Craig, I am lazy, do our Ariels meet tonnage requirement?  :)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

newt

Does anyone know which states (besides Mass.) do not require registration of a documented vessel? Sounds like it would be cheaper to keep your boat in those states.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

s/v Faith

Quote from: Tim on May 15, 2008, 11:45:51 AM
OK Craig, I am lazy, do our Ariels meet tonnage requirement?  :)

Yup. There are a bunch of Ariels / Commanders that are documented. 

Oldrig

The 5-ton requirement refers to "gross tons" of cargo space, not displacement.

My Cape Dory 25D apparently just squeaked by--she was documented when I bought her and I kept the documentation. If she, or a Flicka, can be documented, then an Ariel must also qualify.

With documentation I don't have to pay Mass. registration, but I still have to pay my excise tax to the town where the boat is moored. No tax, no mooring!

And, since documented vessels must have a home port, presumably the tax folks for that state would try to collect.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

AdriftAtSea

Very true... but the reason the Telstar just squeaks by is that the draft on the Telstar is only 14" ors so and the main hull is fairly narrow....

Quote from: s/v Faith on May 15, 2008, 10:57:05 AM
QuoteFirst, the boat has to net 5 tons displacement.  This is usually difficult for vessels less than 26' in LOA. Even my boat, at 27' 6" just squeaks by, since it is a multihull and lighter displacement for the LOA than a monohull would be.

Just to clarify.  This has nothing to do with actual displacement.  From the USCG.Mil's FAQ page on Documentation;

QuoteHOW DO I KNOW IF MY VESSEL MEASURES FIVE NET TONS?

Net tonnage is a measure of a vessel's volume.   It should not be confused with the vessel's weight, which may also be expressed in tons.   Most vessels more than 25 feet in length will measure five net tons or more.   For information about how tonnage is determined, including a web-based interactive form that calculates tonnages, visit the U.S. Coast Guard Marine Safety Center's web site at the Marine Safety Center's Tonnage Page.

A very beamy boat or a boat with a ot of freeboard could be smaller and still qualify.  I know of at least one Flicka which is documented.... don't know if the numbers were correctly submitted for it or not...
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more