-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Computer for our boats

Started by CapnK, October 15, 2007, 01:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Frank on December 06, 2009, 02:01:06 PM
Thanks for the link Bill   Tim

Must admit I get a bit confused with this computer talk: Quote from Capt S on this

"I don't know if this applies to ALL Atheros chipset devices, but the one I have (not any of the devices discusses explicitly in this thread), the Atheros chipset USB devices require running the Windows driver that comes with the device via the ndis wrapper to get it to run on Linux.

This will generally require compiling the ndis kernel module, though depending on your kernel version, you MAY find someone has already compiled one for you.

For what it's worth, the powered antenna I started the thread with is completely OS neutral."

But I've decided to "book em Nano"  ;)       
                                                                  (I must be gettin old)

Frank,

Let me clarify.  The Atheros chipset device I was talking about...the one that needed a driver compiled, is NOT the Nano powered antenna.  The Ubiquiti Nano does not require any driver on the computer...it is "plug and play."

That bit about the kernel driver was for using another wifi device on a Linux computer - it was a side discussion in the thread about the Nano.

Hope that eases the decision to buy a Nano.  I think you will be pleased with it.  I can see networks several miles away, so it should help with your connectivity while anchored out.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Frank

I like the 'plug n play' part. Chipsets and I think of Tiger Woods. Already have one on order. Thanks for the info. My "book em Nano' comment was a sad atempt at humour with the old Hawai 5-0 series were he'd always say "book em Danno". This is really good info as it should work from the cottage across to Coopers Town as well.  Thanks for the find. Inexpensive too. grog to ya
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

s/v Faith

Quote from: Frank on December 06, 2009, 09:40:29 PM
I like the 'plug n play' part. Chipsets and I think of Tiger Woods....

Would I be a Luddite if I suggested something a bit more kiss?

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

s/v Faith

;)

Thanks Tim.  That's perfect.

Check out your post count.

QuotekARRR-ma: +73/-0
[Grog!] [Lashes]

;D

CapnK

Frankie -

Here's another possible solution, one you could fiddle with without needing to buy anything, or much, depending...

http://lifehacker.com/5053796/boost-your-wi+fi-signal-with-cooking-strainer

I've boosted signal noticeably by making 'parabolic' reflectors using aluminum cooking foil and/or cookware (pie plate). InSSider WiFi Scanner is a free Windows program that does a great job of showing network signals and strength, something to use that might help you to find out when you are getting the best signal while pointing an antenna...

WRT computers: a couple months ago the local WalMart had a closeout special, a bit under $300 for an Acer Aspire One 751h - 11.6" screen (1366x768 pix resolution), 2G RAM, and 250G hdd, and a full-size keyboard. Came with Vista. Not so good for Linux :( due to the proprietary video chipset ('Intel' GMA500 - blah : video gets choppy sometimes) but everything else is fine, better than I expected, actually.

I had a XP Pro license looking for a home, so I swapped that out with the Vista install, and saw an immediate 60%+ increase in battery life. An aftermarket 9-cell battery gives me *huge* battery time - it shows in excess of 13-14 hours runtime with screen dimmed 2 notches, but wifi running. Boot times: highly tweaked XP is 25~ secs, #! Linux unmodified is similar. The screen is what does it for me; I need the real estate for website development, the 1024x600 resolution netbooks I tried just weren't cutting it.

I halved the weight I tote off the boat every day, have power to spare, and the quick boots along with the other considerations have made it possible for me to be a lot more productive. I can also tether my Blackberry Pearl 8100 with a USB cord and get 112kb connection speeds anywhere I have cell signal. A few weeks ago I was able to update a clients website on a Saturday morning in less than 2 hours from his request, while sitting on a camp chair in front of my tent out in the woods. :) I haven't played with any navigation tools on it yet, it's just a work tool for now.

And for last, the below: ;)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Tim

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Capt K.....I'm confused...guess I'll have another rum.

PS....love the cans and string  ;)   Now that IS my speed

Frank

Quote from: Tim on December 06, 2009, 01:25:57 PM
( I have been waiting for a chance to do this)

QuoteFigure this is as good a place as any to ask this question.....is there an easy, simple and relatively inexpensive way to increase wifi range (pick-up...not send) I can pick it up on the boat but its in/out a lot unless I anchor really close (bad spot) Don't mind spending a bit if range really improves.

Sir, did you use the search function  ;) ;D

If you weren't so busy having fun you might have noticed this thread

http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=2179.0

I would like to share a few thoughts on the use (or in my case...lack of use) of the search function.
What I did with this thread was esentially hijack it in a different direction....not good
If you...or "I" have a question or need info, use of the search function will generally bring up a discussion that was previously started on  that topic ......sharing your (my) thoughts 'there' will keep info all in one place and make it much simpler and easier for future users and myself to access that info later.  By not using it like I did above...info gets spread all over making it difficult to find again when needed.

ME BAD   ;D ::)

So....if we all...me included, promise to use the search function we will have a much better organized site, way easier access to information and we (I) won't be hijacking other threads.

Simple to use...way better site

Lynx

Has anyone tried the new "Smartbook" Mini web/notebooks like Delstar Ultra-Compact Netbook?
http://delstar.net/wholesale-photo-watches-clocks/ds700-netbook.html
Specifications:
Samsung 533Mhz CPU
RAM: 128 MB
2GB Solid State Drive
Additional expandable memory though SD cards
7″ WVGA LCD Screen
Touchpad pointing device

Or the Lanyu  eBook LY-EB01 eBook/netbook
http://eeepc.net/lanyus-ebook-ly-eb01-comes-in-cheap-at-99/

If you are curious to know, the eBook LY-EB01 features a 7-inch 800?480 TFT LCD, a 266MHz AK7802Q216 ARM processor, WinCE 5.0, Wi-Fi, 128MB RAM and a 1800mAH Li-Ion battery.

Per my understanding both has no moving hard drive but a chip and you can connect an external drive by plugging in A/C adapator.
MacGregor 26M

nowell

Lynx, im a bit leery of static state drives (ie non moving hdd), for the reason being is they tend to have a shorter life span when doing high write functions (ie deleting and installing programs, maps, whatever). While solid state drives will be the future, I don't think they are quite there yet.

Overall, thats a decent netbook. I just purchased a new HP and am pretty amazed at what it can do. What it all boils down to though, is what exactly are you going to be using the machine for? In most cases, the hardware isn't used to its full potential anyway (unless you happen to be in the tech field). All the extra ability the hardware has just makes it easier for lazy programmers write bloated, crappy code (a-la windows 7). End of the day, just get what is comfortable for you to look at for however long you need, and worry about whats inside of it later. For a SailFar boat, I would say anything that has a comfortable screen and the longest battery life possible. All else is filler.
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

CapnK

Quote from: nowell on December 14, 2009, 01:43:12 PM
{snip}...All the extra ability the hardware has just makes it easier for lazy programmers write bloated, crappy code (a-la windows 7). End of the day, just get what is comfortable for you to look at for however long you need, and worry about whats inside of it later. For a SailFar boat, I would say anything that has a comfortable screen and the longest battery life possible. All else is filler.

I with you on that. I have clients call all the time, asking if some $400-600 laptop is going to be 'powerful' enough for them - and all they do is websurf, maybe some emails, spreadsheets, writing... Hardware specs have so far outpaced what is actually needed by 90%+ of people that it is amazing. I tell 'em get the cheapest one they can find; they all will have a year warranty and if it doesn't break by then, you'll get 3+ years out of it likely with no (hardware-related) issues.

James/Lynx - there was a writeup about the ultratiny/cheap ARM-powered netbooks the other day - looky here. Besides the links in the summary at top, you might want to take the time to skim down thru the hundreds of comments, usually there is some good info hidden in the rest of the noise...

A couple things I wanted to add to this thread that I've found to make small computer use a bit more 'fun' or convenient onboard:

A set of USB-powered external speakers are very useful with the netbook. I have these that I purchased from Walmart for ~$12, IIRC. They won't fill a concert hall with audiophile-quality music ;), but they do a great job in a sailboat cabin. I use them for general music playing ('net radio or my own mp3's) during the day, and at night a lot of times last thing I'll do is watch some TED or Hulu. They work well enough in both instances, a great and very cheap improvement over the built-in speakers.

A cheap laptop stand. While a bit large for a netbook, it still comes in handy, and is just the right size when I'm using my 'normal' laptop. Laptops/netbooks can overheat if set on cushions or other surfaces which can block their smallish cooling vents, and on of these will keep that from becoming a possibility. In addition to that, the 'tilt' function makes working on the laptop a bit more ergonomic.

Last, when stretched out on your side in the v-berth or on a settee and watching a video, the video is an annoying 90* sideways. With one of these, you can set the 'puter on the stand - but rotated 90* from usual - and use the 'tilt' to make the screen closer to what you would see if you were sitting up. Does that make sense? ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Copacetic

Capt K,
I got an Acer Aspire One (the 10", 160gb model) on clearance at Target for $199 and love it. I bought it specifically for the boat and so far have SeaClear II and all my NOAA charts on it. With the addition of a $40 GPS puck it should be a nice little charting tool.

Web surfing, etc. is just a bonus.

I still need to add a 12 volt charger and maybe larger battery.

There's a sailor on the SeaClear email list who has an external monitor that swings into the companionway and a bluetooth mouse. A nice system for using it in the cockpit with minimal risk to the computer.
Tom and Cathy
1979 Chrysler 26
On a sailboat, you're already there.

s/v Faith

I don't much favor this approach, but for any who might I noticed todays special on woot.com;

QuoteAugen 7" Color Touchscreen Entertainment Tablet PC
$109.99

* + $5 shipping

Condition:
    Refurbished
Product:
    1 Augen GENTOUCH78 Color 7? Touchscreen Tablet PC with Google Android 2.1, 2GB, SD slot, 802.11g

w00dy

I just bought an older model Panasonic Toughbook CF-28 on Ebay for ~$250.
It's super rugged and after what happened to my last boat notebook, it's what I was looking for. It's the same model you'll find in police cruisers and in some military applications.

It has a touchscreen, is daylight readable, and is even spash/waterproof to some degree, though I have no inclination to test this out. Although it is somewhat behind the times with a lowly PIII 1 ghz, it has enough horsepower to run Open CPN and a few other programs. I spent another $40 on a 12v adapter for it. My only beef with it is that it's sort of a power hog at 3A.

Snapdragon

Hi guys,
By now I'm sure you know that Im not very knowledgable about computers, so please excuse an awkward question.....but is my Ipad considered a real computer?  I've been using it to navigate with on Puff by running the Navionics app.  So far it seems to work very well, giving me more information than I know how to use, keeping an accurate track of where I've been, and it's all easy to upload to my Facebook page.  I can also get the weather, surf the web, email, read books, etc. I usually just prop it up on the cockpit seat and let it run.  I don't think it has any moving parts, it generates no heat, and the battery life is about ten hours. I have noticed that the touch screen gets a little over sensitive when saltwater spray gets on it, but I slip it out of it's case and wipe it down with a damp cloth and that seems to take care of it. So far,it seems to be ideal for small boat use.
The big boat always has the right of way!
"Puff"
1970 Thames Snapdragon 26, twin keel

CharlieJ

;) we've on occasion used our IPhones the same way. We have all the NOAA coastal charts downloaded, plus some others.

Oh- and as an ex computer programming instructor and systems analyst, certainly it's a computer. Remember- one of the FIRST computers was an Abucus ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

s/v Faith

I am very happy with my new Ipad (that is right, I have been drawn to the dark side...)

But,

For $179, this might be a good deal for someone without a tablet.... beats lugging a laptop ashore to check SailFar!

HP 32g Tablet on Woot.com for $179

marujo_sortudo

I think the iPad is a pretty great sailfar-ish boat computer.  The cost can be a bit dear, but you can do what I did and buy a refurbished, older model from Apple and save some $$ if you're not concerned with having the latest and the greatest (I got the 1 right after the 2 came out.)  The 3G models have good quality GPS receivers in them that help them function as pretty accurate chartplotters with the addition of an app or two.  You can also get basic Internet access with these for $15/mo. which is about as cheap as anything ... and you can turn the plan on/off every month if you like.  They take very little power and recharge easily off of 12V with a 12V to USB adapter.  All good stuff for boats.  I'd recommend a keyboard if you're writing a bunch on one and a waterproof case/clear envelope if you plan to use it in the cockpit (though it will be harder to read the screen in the sun.)  Also, get it in white if you can, because they will overheat if left in the sun for very long and the white will at least reduce that tendency. 

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Captain Smollett on October 16, 2007, 07:05:58 PM

NO EFFORT WHATSOEVER to get either SeaClear OR Chart Navigator (both free downloads) to work.

I have to provide an update to this.

With wine upgrades, Chart Navigator is now a MAJOR pain to get to work.  In fact, I had an almost working installation going, and somehow it 'broke' yesterday and I have not been able to recover it.

New versions of OpenCPN are far superior and available on various computer platforms.

I squeezed as many years out of CN as I could...but it's time to say goodbye.

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain