News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Flicka 20

Started by Gus, February 02, 2009, 10:21:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gus

Hello! I don't know if you guys remember me, but this is Gus, from North Carolina. Back home I still have my beloved Chrysler 22. I'm currently in Iraq, and I'm saving money like there's no tomorrow, and of course, I'm thinking in the next boat. What do you guys think of the Flicka 20? I want a small, and sturdy boat that I can sail alone, trailer if needed, and one day, maybe go around the world, or long trips by myself.

Gus
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina
www.flickr.com/photos/gus_chrysler22/

Oldrig

Hi Gus,

I've always liked the look of the Flicka, and ended up buying my Cape Dory 25D, sometimes called the East-Coast Flicka, because I couldn't find one of those lovely Pacific Seacraft boats in the East for a resonable price.

That said, they are notoriously slow, having lots of weight and a short waterline. There used to be a Flicka in the same harbor where I keep my CD25D, and it was much slower than my boat--which is also very slow.

Still, I think the Flicka is a great choice for a SB/LD sailor, especially if you're going to make your trips alone or with a crew of one.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

Gus

Slow, in how slow? 4 knots? My current boat its kinda slow too, I mean, I went sailing with some big boys, and I made it last (and I was doing 6 knots) I was also looking into some bots a bit bigger, like the Person Triton, and I saw a Pearson Vanguard for sale, but it was a bit step (20K or so) I want something with those lovely traditional lines that I like so much, and of course, seaworthiness.
Thanks for the reply!

Dang, I just realized that I posted this in the wrong place... I meant to post it in the Boat Discussion.
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina

Tim

Gus, think Ariel ;) You can find some good deals though often they need a little work. But with that work, you can make a very seaworthy beautiful boat. Of course I AM just a little prejudiced.  :)
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Of course the Ariel, or my Meridian, or even a Triton, isn't gonna be any faster than a Flicka, given enough dacron in the air.

Take a look at waterline length and hull speeds for the four boats-

Flicka-     wl 18.1, Hull speed - 5.7 knots

Ariel  -     wl 18.5, Hull speed - 5.7 knots

Meridian- wl 17.5, hull speed - 5.6 knots

Triton -    wl 20.7, hull speed - 6.1 knots

One half knot difference in hull speed between the longest and shortest waterlines. 5 nautical miles difference in 20 hours.

On passage, that Flicka will hold it's own against the other three- I can't figure why folks consider it all that slow. In the open ocean, 4 knots is a darned good speed made good for a boat it's size. And it's heavy enough to be comfortable in a seaway.

Would be an excellent choice

Oh- and on the Pearson Vanguard- we just launched a Vanguard I'd been working on rerigging for the owner. It has some design features that I consider serious drawbacks for a seaboat. The main thing is that both cockpit lockers AND the lazerette open directly into the cabin. The cockpit locker over the quarter berths and the laz directly to the bilge. If you should lose one of those hatch covers, the boat is subject to filling- and sinking. No thanks. My boat has cockpit lockers totally sealed from the main part of the cabin.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Gus

s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina

Frank

After sailing one I can say they are a very 'stout' boat. If you want small,easy to handle,seaworthy and barely trailerable...they fit. High build quality and over sized rigging give a feeling of confidence.They hate to be pinched....but fall off a few degrees and they will surprize you.They like wind.Light air sails are needed.They have a huge fore triangle and  a one fifty is a big sail.I would put a nine.nine HP OB on and keep the room inside for stores. Judy loved the lil boat. http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=470.40   Pic is from Bahamas
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Amgine

Two summers ago I overhauled a Flicka in my CD 25D; I admit I was in tweak mode, while they seemed to be taking it easy with just the staysail. But it seemed to me the leeward edge of the transom was submerged, and they were dragging a hole. I wished I'd been closer to see better. We got within waving distance but that was all.

Frank, did you ever notice if the transom submerged at all when heeled about 15?

Frank

Not overly? If you view a Flicka from an angle looking aft it is suprizing how much the hull shape swings upward toward the stern in the quarters. They may well drag a bit but I honestly never noticed . You can kinda see what I mean in this pic.

Gus

Well, PSC boats are expensive!!! I saw another one that I like, the Dana 24... one sold last year for 61K, and the Flicka 20 that I want (enclosed head, teak trim all around, inboard diesel, and trailer) 43K in Oriental, NC. I guess I'm gonna sit and wait, and keep using the Chrysler 'till its broke, or sunk, whatever happen first :)

Also, I'm 6'1, how much head space does the Flicka 20 has? Can I stand up, at least to cook?
Thanks!
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina

Frank

Head room is about five ft ten.A couple inchs more under the closed hatch.You neck would be bent over somewhat.The dana is more....six ft I think.

Gus

Thanks again! Great photos in the Bahamas by the way.
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina

Amgine

May have been just my point of view, coming up from leeward... or it might have been the mount of 'stuff' hanging off the pushpit. They sure look like they can stand up to pretty much everything. I surveyed a non-PS Flicka years ago that I was thinking of buying, and sure liked the shape.

okawbow

A few years ago, I decided that a Flicka or Dana was the right boat for my future needs....until I checked out the prices! I started looking for something with similar characteristics. I found a website.... http://image-ination.com/sailcalc.html     that allows comparison of hundreds of different sailboats. I decided that the Bristol 24 was a good substitute for the qualities I wanted. I found a diesel powered Bristol 24 for a very reasonable price and built a trailer for it. I'm not afraid to sail the Bristol anywhere, and don't feel like I gave up much compared to a Dana, or Flicka, as far as sailing performance or comfort. A few modifications to the Bristol could bring it up to par with the other boats, for MUCH less money.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

Gus

Wow, thanks for the info, I will see if I can find some info in the Bristol 24.

Gus
s/v Halve Maen
1976 Chrysler 22
North Carolina

ronc98

Good to see you planning for when you return.   

I love my C-26 but  I am looking for the same type of bluewater boat here in Ohio.   I am not sure the c-26 would handle the ugly stuff.

evantica

I think the "Flicka" is the nices of them all, high up on my list of favorit boats! But no one in sweden, and to expensive for me. It looks like the Swedish "Havsfidra" but whitout the headroom...

Oldrig

That Havsfidra looks like a beauty, built for the open ocean!
How long is she?

She reminds me a lot of the Frances 26 by Morris Yachts. There's one of these lovelies moored near me on Buzzards Bay. There are two of these gems listed on the Morris brokerage website--for a mere $49,000! I guess I'll stick with my Cape Dory 25D.

--Joe
"What a greate matter it is to saile a shyppe or goe to sea"
--Capt. John Smith, 1627

s/v Faith

BOLO (Be On The Look Out) for a friend of mine.  Dennis, aboard 'FairWinds' a blue Flicka left from Bradenton FL.  He was going to sail around FL and leave from Key West for the Berrys and Exumas.

This is a great guy, he is the one who helped me finish getting Faith ready when I had my surgery shortly before I left.

(He finished installing my foredeck hatch in 100F+ wx while I was on the mend).

If anyone sees him, approach with caution, give him frosty beverage, and contact me for further instructions.  ;D 
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

maxiSwede

Quote from: Oldrig on March 13, 2009, 12:12:15 PM
That Havsfidra looks like a beauty, built for the open ocean!
How long is she?

She reminds me a lot of the Frances 26 by Morris Yachts. There's one of these lovelies moored near me on Buzzards Bay. There are two of these gems listed on the Morris brokerage website--for a mere $49,000! I guess I'll stick with my Cape Dory 25D.

--Joe

Havsfidra is 20 feet long and she has a bi sister 'Storfidra' that is 25 feet with 1,85 m standing headroom IIRC
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com