Thoughts on Alberg 35

Started by Christopher, May 14, 2009, 12:51:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Christopher

I see these boats popping up now and again and I'm pretty intrigued.  I'm interested to know what you guys think of them.  I realize they kind of violate the "pocket cruiser" standard with the length and draft, but they look to be a sturdy boat.  It seems like it would be a fantastic Great Lakes cruiser.  I'm sure most of you have read my other posts as I change my mind wandering through the various phases of boat-lust.  I'm interested to hear your opinions on the Alberg 35 for a family weekender + occasional singlehanded voyager. 
1993 Hunter 23.5

AdriftAtSea

I think it'd be a good choice... I don't think that Carl Alberg ever drew a bad boat... some were not as good as others...but I don't think he ever drew one I'd call bad.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Frank

[ .  I'm interested to hear your opinions on the Alberg 35 for a family weekender + occasional singlehanded voyager. 
[/quote]                       

I didn't look it up but would assume the boat at 12000+lbs, about 500+ft of sail and about 5+ft draft.    Now...read your question again  ;D     GREAT, seaworthy boat ...just a lot of it
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

CapnK

There was an older fellow (maybe even as old as CJ ;D) at the marina I was in before this one who had a CD36. He had been living aboard for a number of years, had singlehanded up and down the East Coast. You should be able to handle it. :)

Before I got my Ariel, I had some talks with a guy down in S Fla who had an A-35 and was looking to trade down. He liked the idea of my CP23D which I still had at the time, but there were 2 problems: 1) the distance factor, and 2) he thought it would only be a fair trade if I added in some cash (which I did not have). He was probably right, but still... ;)

Had that trade come about, though, I wouldn't be sitting here on my Ariel, and sailFar might never have come into existence. All in all, I think I am better off with this boat, and things the way they are. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Christopher

I still haven't had a chance to get aboard an Ariel.  They are pretty boats.  I'll be working on vinegarj this summer to try and get out for a sail on his A30.  ;)  I've seen two A35s in Lake Michigan for sale this spring.  The Alberg 35 offers one luxury that I appreciate - LOA.  Both my wife and I have tendencies to motion sickness and I've found that it is MUCH less severe as the boat length increases.

I guess it's all going to come down to what's available next spring after I complete my undergrad (ten years late).  Wife has agreed that we can take on some additional debt for next season so she doesn't have to listen to me go on and on and on, and on... about boats anymore :)

1993 Hunter 23.5

CharlieJ

THere's a Pearson 35 coming into our marina that is for sale- asking 6000 firm.

Laura has been aboard- she says it would ONLY take maybe another 20 to 30K to make it cruise worthy ;D Not to mention a few years work.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Christopher

Yea -- definitely want to avoid something like that.  I want something that I can jump on and sail.  As much as I would have all good intentions about a project boat... it's probably not for me.  Small projects and modifications? Sure!

Here's one that got me thinking, but doubt she'll be around when I'm ready ---

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/cgi-bin/saildata/db.cgi?db=default&uid=default&view_records=1&ID=12350&mh=1
1993 Hunter 23.5

skylark

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

AdriftAtSea

I have yet to see a boat you can jump on and sail...at least in terms of long cruises.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

Christopher

Oh sure -- before I go on any long cruises I'm sure there's plenty to do.  I'm talkin a sail around the harbor for starters.  I recently had an encounter with a storm front and a seawall that tells me I need some more heavy weather experience before I take on any long cruises.
1993 Hunter 23.5

Christopher

So what I'm gathering from you fellas is that an A35 would be a fine choice if I could find one in my price range and desired condition.  Other than the obvious length problem, nobody would steer clear because of some notorious shortcoming?  I know they have two layouts and I can't say I'm a fan of the starboard galley, but I've never had a cruising boat to know.  I just know that I'm more familiar with the aft galley.
1993 Hunter 23.5

AdriftAtSea

The port galley makes far more sense IMHO.  If you're on a starboard tack, which you would ideally want for longer passages... a starboard galley would be difficult to cook in, where a portside galley would be far more usable. :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran

Frank

........"In 1979, while those modern boats were capsizing and sinking, an Alberg 35 on it's way to England comfortably lay a-hull. "

"It was really blowing and though they shortened sails and did everything else they could in order to keep going, they eventually took everything off, went below, battened down the hatches and just ate, drank and played cards. When it had blown over they hoisted sail and continued to England, where they were told they had just sailed through the same gale that had taken 16 lives in the Fastnet race. They had ridden out the storm by just sitting in the cabin while everyone else was capsizing."
Carl comments..
"There are still some designers around who whare my ideas about glass boat design. ".........unfortunately very few left now.

Christopher

Quote from: Frank on May 15, 2009, 08:42:16 AM
they eventually took everything off, went below, battened down the hatches and just ate, drank and played cards

So your recommendation is to buy a nice big Alberg boat and don't worry about sailing skills... Just hide below when the weather comes ;)  I can do this!
1993 Hunter 23.5

newt

Chris- you might do what I did.
Bought an old Catalina 27 for the cost of the trailer it was on. I had stars in my eyes and did not see the snicker of the guy taking the cash. It needed everything. But I sailed her anyway- old sails- and old outboard. I did everything wrong, but learned alot from her. Grounded her while trying to sail her into the harbor...Launched her with her thru-hulls open and no hose attached...The list goes on. But I learned what it took to be a yacht owner, and then retired her and sold the trailer.
Now my Compac is cherry because of the lessons learned. And I found out I don't need a large boat for alot of the sailing that I do.
Get yourself a beater...
You'll be better for it.
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

Bluenose

Quote from: mkeChris on May 14, 2009, 09:41:27 AM
Wife has agreed that we can take on some additional debt for next season so she doesn't have to listen to me go on and on and on, and on... about boats anymore :)

Really? She actually believes that getting a new boat will keep you from going on and on about boats? ;D

Off course, I am going to be a stick in the mud on this topic. But first some pictures (which this thread is sorely lacking) of an Alberg 35 neighbor of mine.

While I can certainly see the aesthetic and luxury attractions of the Alberg 35, it is a large sailboat. At 13,000 lbs displacement with 500 to 700 feet of sail area she is no day sailer. I am of the opinion that actual sailing is inversely proportionate to boat size, weight and sail area.

In addition, her maintenance and upkeep will be many times that of, say, an Ariel.

My advice is always buy the least boat you need. You will sail it more often, your maintenance dollars will go further and buy better stuff and you will have more fun.

Just my two cents, your mileage may vary.

Cheers, Bill

Frank

So your recommendation is to buy a nice big Alberg boat and don't worry about sailing skills... Just hide below when the weather comes ;)  I can do this!
[/quote]

NOPE.  Just pointing out that they are a capable offshore boat. If you scroll back to an earlier post of mine here it hints at what others have said..."it ain't no daysailor" I totally agree with "buy the smallest boat that will work" post... ;D.

Earlier post
I'm interested to hear your opinions on the Alberg 35 for a family weekender + occasional singlehanded voyager. 
[/quote]                       
my responce
      I didn't look it up but would assume the boat at 12000+lbs, about 500+ft of sail and about 5+ft draft.    Now...read your question again       GREAT, seaworthy boat ...just a lot of it

CharlieJ

Quote from below-

"My advice is always buy the least boat you need. You will sail it more often, your maintenance dollars will go further and buy better stuff and you will have more fun."

Which is KINDA the whole premise behind this web site and forum isn't it? Get a small boat that fills your needs and GO places with it.

I've been working for quite a few months on a customers Pearson Vanguard, designed by Rhodes. Been out sailing on board twice now. That's a 32 footer by the way. The exertion to get it out, sails up, and sailing, then drop sail and bring it in and put it to bed, is about twice the effort that Tehani takes- and about twice the time too.

I've HAD a 35 footer. I don't want NUTTIN bigger than 30 foot anymore- that's all I want to maintain, that's all I want to handle. For now, we are totally content with our 25 :D

An aside to that is that my 5'2" 108 pound wife can do it ALL on this boat, from raising sail to hoisting the anchor and even to rowing out a kedge and pulling herself off a grounding. Big enough sez I
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Christopher

Quote from: Frank on May 15, 2009, 02:52:37 PM

NOPE.  Just pointing out that they are a capable offshore boat. If you scroll back to an earlier post of mine here it hints at what others have said..."it ain't no daysailor" I totally agree with "buy the smallest boat that will work" post... ;D.

I should have left out "BIG".  I was only meaning to say that I can buy a nice Alberg boat and to heck with the sailing experience.. just hide in the cabin if you stuck in a mess :)

You're probably right about buying smaller... I'm sure next March/April when I have my approval to buy I'm gonna buy the first thing I fall in love with.. which is just about any boat these days :)
1993 Hunter 23.5

s/v Faith

Quoteauthor=mkeChris link=topic=2396.msg25335#msg25335 date=1242425503]
......You're probably right about buying smaller... I'm sure next March/April when I have my approval to buy I'm gonna buy the first thing I fall in love with.. which is just about any boat these days :)

Chris,

I would be careful, buying the wrong boat can do a lot to curb your enthusiasm.... as well as being a very expensive education*.  ;)

I appreciate your posting the boats you are looking at, it is almost as much fun as looking for a boat... with none of the stress.   ;D

* I once watched a guy buy a hunter... 27 I think it was.  The thing was in terrible shape.  He paid $3500k for a $500 boat and then sunk 4K (that I know of) into it.  He had Alwgrip sprayed on an unfaired hull... and applied a couple of gallons of Gel Coat to the decks (looked like it had been applied with a leaf rake).  He was ready to launch when the rudder was found to have been cracked... and the shaft was bent... Don't know what he paid for the new one from Foss Foam.  I am sure he had somewhere between 8K and 10k into a poorly finished boat with 30+ year old rigging and sails.  There were several of us who tried to talk him out of it... even the yard owner who he was making rich. 

He would not listen to anyone.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.