News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Am I crazy?

Started by Cpt2Be, July 12, 2009, 03:13:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Auspicious

Quote from: Captain Smollett on July 16, 2009, 09:05:17 AMDo some reading online by Peggy Hill - she seems to be the marine head 'guru.' 

That would be Peggie Hall, the Head Mistress. She posts some on CSBB and a couple of other places but mostly hangs out on SBO. Start here. Her book is well worth the investment and addresses lots of plumbing and ventilation issues. There is some debate about her position on keeping a holding tank aerobic but from a practical standpoint there is no one better to listen to for advice.

On the subject of ventilation, if you end up heading somewhere cold and still sail year round also look for The Warm Dry Boat by Roger McAfee.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Auspicious on July 16, 2009, 06:41:15 PM

That would be Peggie Hall, the Head Mistress.

Oh my word!!  Peggy Hill.  LOL!!  (He wasn't asking for Spanish Lessons...)   ;D

Thanks for the correction.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Cpt2Be

Quote from: Auspicious on July 16, 2009, 06:41:15 PM
Quote from: Captain Smollett on July 16, 2009, 09:05:17 AMDo some reading online by Peggy Hill - she seems to be the marine head 'guru.' 

That would be Peggie Hall, the Head Mistress. She posts some on CSBB and a couple of other places but mostly hangs out on SBO. Start here. Her book is well worth the investment and addresses lots of plumbing and ventilation issues. There is some debate about her position on keeping a holding tank aerobic but from a practical standpoint there is no one better to listen to for advice.

On the subject of ventilation, if you end up heading somewhere cold and still sail year round also look for The Warm Dry Boat by Roger McAfee.

I just spent 3 hour's reading transcripts of King of the Hill trying to find refrence to Peggy Hill and marine heads j/k  ;D

thanks for the info

Cpt2Be

Last class today  ;D

Updates:

They were VERY basic all the way around but again it was innexpensive to do and  I was sailing by myself yesterday and will not likely take any more classes and just do it.
Looking at signing up for nav classes but that may keep until we actually get our boat.
Trying to find a course at a community college for diesel mechanics but I am good mechanically anyway and may just learn from a book (any recommends here appreciated).

I've realized how much easier this can be and how much I personally am capable of complicating things more than they need to be  (budget helped dictate this in both directions) the shame is I knew these things before hand based on my own experience but unfortunately we got temporarily caught up in complicated lifestyles.

We started our new diet. No more take out or dinner out. This past week we have prepared all our own meals and have started a calorie restricted diet. Waking up at 5am every morning to do our exercise.

Craigslisted all of our stuff we never needed and don't want anymore. Took out an add for an apartment sale and are generally starting to reduce our possessions. We hope by the time we get rid of these things we are only occupying 25% of our current living space.

Adina has to start ridding her placement program to actually set up some stuff in California and outside U.S. destinations but we don't forsee any problem getting something arranged for her.

Onto the boat. The Ariel is in the front so far even if we have to modify a head into her (but that depends on how much we are able to talk the price down on the boat herself). We have genuinely fell in love with her. There are a few Cape Dory's of different size we are now also looking at that seem to foot the bill on first glance and I'll grab the links for them later today so you all can look.

Making a cost chart tonight with a boat budget of $10K and monthly living costs of $800 which will leave us with of savings of $2k-$8k (we have to certain that boat comes with as much as wee need to retain that savings). Though again Adina is easily employable anywhere we go so money should be coming in before large amounts of savings are drawn.

As each day ends we begin to realize we are doing this and the life were in 'till then gets that much less enjoyable but we see an end in sight and it's going to be a wonderful beginning to our new life.

Greg

Cpt2Be

Here are the two Ariel's were looking at . First listed is the front runner and second still seems like in that condition a competent first boat.

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1964/Pearson-Ariel-2071850/Berkeley/CA/United-States

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1967/Pearson-Ariel-1935862/Sister-Bay/WI/United-States

There are quite a few CD's that meet the requirements so I'm going to spend some time narrowing those down to contenders.

Thanks again to everyone for their wonderful help and suggestions

Greg

CharlieJ

One point- don't pass up a good boat just because it doesn't have an inboard. Some Ariel's ( and our Meridian) came with outboards in wells- a VERY workable set up and it gives you cubic feet of storage area you wouldn't have with an inboard. So don't insist on a diesel.

When we were looking, my wife wanted a separate head compartment also. We didn't get it- wound up with a Porta Potti under the Vee berth- She has since decided that was no big thing- we just don't use it when the bed is made up. No big deal.

Our outboard set up-
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Cpt2Be

Quote from: CharlieJ on July 17, 2009, 12:30:59 PM
One point- don't pass up a good boat just because it doesn't have an inboard. Some Ariel's ( and our Meridian) came with outboards in wells- a VERY workable set up and it gives you cubic feet of storage area you wouldn't have with an inboard. So don't insist on a diesel.

When we were looking, my wife wanted a separate head compartment also. We didn't get it- wound up with a Porta Potti under the Vee berth- She has since decided that was no big thing- we just don't use it when the bed is made up. No big deal.

Our outboard set up-

Oh for sure I wont. I think I would actually almost prefer an outboard to simplify maintenence. We will also certainly come to a compromise on the head for budget and our desire to go sooner than later.

Cpt2Be

Basically, I'm spending a lot of time talking myself into the Ariel that's listed first.

Christopher

Glad to see someone else suffers from severe boat lust...  You're posts remind me of my time spent here at work paging through the various boat sites and falling in love over and over again...

;D
1993 Hunter 23.5

s/v Faith

This one you posted looks like a nice boat also;

http://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1967/Pearson-Ariel-1935862/Sister-Bay/WI/United-States

But probably not as nice as the one in Berkley.  The difference in asking price might be worth it... hard to say without more info.  I would place some weight on the fact that the one in Berkley has had it's restoration judged and awarded.

Might be worth it to find the hull numbers for both boats, and do a search of the Ariel site.  I found much of Faith's prior history there, and time spent searching there is an education unto it's self.  PearsonAriel.org
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Cpt2Be

Quote from: mkeChris on July 17, 2009, 02:40:17 PM
Glad to see someone else suffers from severe boat lust...  You're posts remind me of my time spent here at work paging through the various boat sites and falling in love over and over again...

;D

I have it bad!  :P

s/v Faith, yeah I thought the same thing about the awards builds great confidence. Not to mention the mods to the mast step & backstay. Overall looks like he was very adament about maintenence.

I'll ask them for hin #'s when I'm ready to make a bid (don't want to waste his time).

Wife and I are going to see a movie and go out to dinner and I'm going to push for making a bid soon

Lynx

Please get trained up to bare boat. This will give you good coastal Nav skills and some very good advice that you will not have to learn the hard way.

Practice your basic knots so you can do them in any conditions.

I met Faith in Guan, Abacos, Bahamas. Nide boat and setup he had.
MacGregor 26M

Cpt2Be

We are jumping in with both feet but are wearing lifevests (we wont bite off more than we can chew prematurely)

After Friday's night out we came to the conclusion we are about 6 months away before buying so I figure I have six months to learn what I need to to buy a safe fit for purpose vessel (s/v Faith I hope it's that Ariel we both like her very much)

nowell

My Albin Vega also came with the original A4 pulled out and I use an 8 horse 2 stroke OB. I pulled out the holding tank and plumbing and have an Airhead on order. As CJ said, don't sell anything short right now. Especially as you have time to shop. You should consider every detail possible. There are alot of great deals out there right now, so don't jump on the first one that comes along. Your in a perfect position, try and take things slow.  ;D

Every painter uses a different canvas to create their works of art! Same goes with our boats. We all love to sail here but each persons platform is different! Thats the beauty in the art we create!

Good luck in your search and keep us posted! Your excitement in your posts is intoxicating!
s/v "Aquila"
1967 Albin Vega #176

nmwarren

Sonnie

Hey guys,

Long time since I've been poking around here - Hope alls well. Since I got back from my Bahamas cruise, I've become a yacht broker - I've seen more boats in the last year than in my entire life since! Here are my recommendations for you Cap2Be:

Hallman Horizon 27: http://www.torontoyachtsales.com/27-halman-horizon-for-sale.html

Bayfield 29: http://www.torontoyachtsales.com/29-bayfield-1981-for-sale.html

Bayfield 25, which I sailed down from Toronto in: http://sailquest.com/market/models/bayf25.htm

All these models can be found for 10-15k, so long as you are ready to put in some elbow grease and negotiate.

Good luck you maniac!

Cpt2Be

OK, so we have a few potential jobs set up for Adina in FL and the Bahamas (Awesome step) so her placement stuff is going very well at least.

I have finished my basic lessons and have definitely decided that until we buy our boat no more lessons (due to cost and we need to spend our money wisely and learn on our boat. Doesn't seem like that is a far stretch as a few sellers have offered lessons so that is also awesome)

Been looking for LiveAboard Marinas in SE or SW FL and Bahamas and this is not going well...

1. How long are we actually going to be in the marina is becoming to us more of a how much do we need to stay in a marina

2. We plan on actually cruising more than not (ok I know how that plays out but that's the idea)

3. The need to have a place to put her on the hard for maintenance or hurricane season

*note on 3. is that other than maintenance we would gunk hole inland in the Caribbean or other available hurricane hole.

4. Were we to actually base out of the Bahamas (which is the ultimate plan) we would defiantly like to find a marina that we would actually take advantage of to justify the cost.

*note on 4. meaning with what we plan on doing a slip or mooring lease in FL is more or less a waste of our money.

5. Though I've been looking for more direct information regarding anchoring I have found very little or

at the most bad news that we can't just anchor where/when we want (where can I find more information on this) as this is how we planned on saving the most money.

Still looking at boats and will probably purchase Oct-Feb and leave in Mch-June

but no decisions yet. If we miss season we will still be moving from Chicago to FL

and work it out from there.

We've been reading a lot and we are certain now (with all your help) we are going to be able to do this on our budget. We're just hung up on the marina's and whether they allow LA & anchoring laws in the areas we wish to cruise.

Any advice?

LooseMoose

Well Florida is certainly a less than friendly place these days in terms of anchor friendlness but the Bahamas are a much better bet and I can't think of a single good reason to ever overnight in a marina in the Bahamas or Caribbean.

Bob
So It Goes
(At anchor in St Martin)

http://boatbits.blogspot.com/
http://fishingundersail.blogspot.com/
http://islandgourmand.blogspot.com/

Cpt2Be

Quote from: LooseMoose on July 25, 2009, 03:56:30 PM
Well Florida is certainly a less than friendly place these days in terms of anchor friendlness but the Bahamas are a much better bet and I can't think of a single good reason to ever overnight in a marina in the Bahamas or Caribbean.

Bob
So It Goes
(At anchor in St Martin)

http://boatbits.blogspot.com/
http://fishingundersail.blogspot.com/
http://islandgourmand.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the info. I've been reading through boatbits some good info and very inspiring

Greg

Lynx

I have been anchoring in Fl for years and not had a problem. There is several good guides for the different coast and Keys. Work in Key West if light and hard to find. However if you want a cheep place to stay and waite out the storms on several good anchors try Marathon, Boot Key Harbor.

I suggest that you get some of the cruising guides for Fl West coast, East coast and Keys.

In the Bahamas I found anchor Holding a problem and quite a few others  as well during the fronts that came through. I stayed in the Abacos, Nothern Bahamas. Working in the  Bahamas is very tough to get permits.
MacGregor 26M