Anchors, anchors again, & more anchors....

Started by Mr. Fixit, January 06, 2006, 12:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

Quote from: Godot on April 28, 2015, 09:03:21 PM
So far it seems to be great; but truthfully, so far I've rarely needed more than my 90' of chain.

Yep I have 75 feet of chain, and have used all of it maybe 4 times in many many miles. 3'6" draft understand. 

Admittedly, several times I had good bit of nylon out, but not often. Usually can find 10 feet to anchor in around the coast
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Grime

Quote from: CharlieJ on April 28, 2015, 10:06:42 PM
Talked to them today. Measuring for sails. Just bought the boat- survivor of Katrina in NO. I seriously doubt that nylon to anchor will be left that way. He has a lot of work to do- take a look at the wrecked bow pulpit

Agreed on lots of work to do. They ended up on the rock coming in to the marina. I watch them haul a lady all the way to the mast just to lower a tape down. Instead of tying the tape to the halyard for the measurement. Make me wonder about their experience. Point was about the anchor and rode was that you can't always put total faith in what you see at a marina. You have to use some common since.

On another point with braided rode. Yes it can be spliced. You will need to buy a fib set then practice and practice to make a good splice that you would trust not to pull apart. Been there and done that on my roller furling.  I would never trust my splice with braided rode.  There are videos online on how to back braid or splice 3 strand. No tools to buy required.
David and Lisa
S/V Miss Sadie
Watkins 27

Steve Bean

I don't recall where, but I read about some testing re: shock-absorbing value of chain, with or without kellet, and when the fan is turned on "high" the chain gets stretched out so taut that the shock absorbing is not really to be relied on for much.

SeaHusky

Quote from: Steve Bean on May 12, 2015, 11:49:11 PM
I don't recall where, but I read about some testing re: shock-absorbing value of chain, with or without kellet, and when the fan is turned on "high" the chain gets stretched out so taut that the shock absorbing is not really to be relied on for much.
Check reply #230 in this thread (previous page) by Godot.
I look for subtle places, beaches, riversides and the ocean's lazy tides.
I don't want to be in races, I'm just along for the ride.