Bahamas, island hopping in a small boat?

Started by hearsejr, January 12, 2006, 06:47:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynx

Thanks, my present plan is to spend the season in Abaco's including the West side. Nov through May. Should be a good trip with a boat that needs a foot to float.
MacGregor 26M

Tedsomango

Hello this will be my first real post and i was wondering about bimini, has anyone been there. This november i plan to leave from Merritt Island, Fl to go to the Bahamas, for my first real cruise, I have a shallow shoal keel compac 23, but the ballast on it is 3000 lbs, I sat around worrying if it was to small for cruising but im just gonna do it anyways. Is there some routes that people comanly take or some places really not to be missed, or are there some hazards beyond the normal hystaria i need to know about, perhaps a sea dragon, or a boat eating buzzard. my web site is http://hanuman.weebly.com there are some awful pictures of my boat there, Another question what is the equipment list that i need to have, stuff i really cant get by without. I have a gps thats about it my boat was stipped befor it was sold to me 2 weeks ago for 2,000.

Thank you and i really look forward to hearing so of your reponses.
Teach peace, love and respect the vessel that is the catalyst for your dreams and goals.. the sail boat

Captain Smollett

Welcome aboard.

First, have no fear about the C-23 being "too small."  Numerous Potter 19's have made the trip and our own Frank has sailed over on his Flicka.  I'm sure CapnK will chime in with his own special insight on the 23, but my main point is that I doubt the folks on THIS board will fault you for planning that trip on that boat.   :)

As for Bimini, that seems to be a popular plan.  For example, Connie on Pixie Dust entered the islands via Bimini.  You can read about Connie's exploits here.

So fret not - I believe you will get nothing but encouragement from here on your planned adventure.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

rtbates

Should be no problem as long as you watch the weather, duh. The main thing you want to avoid is the Gulf Stream with a wind from the north. Even after the norther leaves it's very nasty in the stream for awhile. Bimini is a very good starting point. Check out Honeymoon Caye or Cove?, and the stuck concrete carrier that's 1/2 out of the water on the western side of the Bahama banks, Great diving and snorkeling.
Randy
Cape Dory 25D #161 "Seraph"
Austin, Tx

Tedsomango

:-\

This is very good news, considering i want my first cruise to have at least a Little open water but not to much, super excited for gunkholing the Bahamas i should be able to get places most people cant with the massive yachts, does anyone know a super viable place to get "current" charts for that area? i know with the hurricanes that new islands are appearing or merging or disappearing so it can be an interesting trip,
Teach peace, love and respect the vessel that is the catalyst for your dreams and goals.. the sail boat

Pixie Dust

Pixie Dust here!  I am currently in the Bahamas on a 27' Com-Pac.  It is rare I have internet, but I have it intermittently tonight, although I am having a difficult time staying on. 
I am having a great time.  Explorer Charts are awesome and right on the money.  GET THESE!!
They have Near Bahamas, Far Bahamas and Exumas& Ragged Islands.  Depending on area of Bahamas you want to explore will determine the chart books you need.  Pick your Bahama Jumping off point based on the area you want to explore.  For example, if you want to explore the Abaco's, go to West End and around from there.  If you want to do Berry's and Exumas, then jump from Bimini.  I cleared Bimini since my original plans were to go to the Berry's first, however, continued high winds changed my plans and I headed up to the Abaco's.  It took 1 long long rough water day to get to West End, then another long day with wonderful conditions to cross the banks and get into Great Sale.  Even from Bimini, you will have another long jump in order to get from Bimini to Chubb Cay in the Berry's.  If the Banks are calm, you can even anchor on them at night if you get tired.   The Berry's are very secluded with little in the way of grocery shopping, restaurants etc.  Even in the Exumas' you will find that to be true as well, however, they are beautiful and you will find these areas to be much less crowded... esp. the Berry's.  I am soooo digging both the Berry's and the Exumas. 
Abaco's are pretty too and lots of fun, but you find a LOT more people there.  Abaco's make it very easy to refuel, provision and keep adequate water and boat parts.   The other areas charge about $.50/gal for water and groceries are unbelievable in cost.   They are out-islands and depend on freight boats to bring everything in.  You can get fuel and water in these areas, you just have to plan carefully with where the locations to obtain are.  Abaco's has easy access to most everything. 
It is all in what you enjoy, but no matter what, it all is good!!! Have Fun!!
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

Hey Connie-

Good to hear from you.  :D  What are you plans for the winter??

Ted-

Didn't realize Hanuman the monkey god was a sailor's diety.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Tedsomango

come on he could move over all the oceans in the world giving safe passage to all who clung to his back!! :-I'm not a devote but i like the name so thus a tiny compac became the hanuman, then its gonna pretend like its a very big boat, but I'm not actually sure thats a good thing? wouldn't want to sail a cruisline or freighter. hmmm maybe hanuman pretends to be 24 feet instead of 23'11, yeah thats better.

Frank

I was just remembering that there was a beautiful ComPac 23 on a mooring just inside the entrance at Hope Town, Elbow Cay Bahamas. Looked mighty fine there I must say. With their shallow draft opening up many secluded ereas and all those opening ports...the ComPac 23 is a great bahamas boat. Enjoy !! See ya over there  ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Lynx

Hi, heading over to West End and then to Abaco's some time between Oct 29 and Nov 5. I already have 1 boat with me and another would not be a problem. Departing from Port Everglades Ft Lauderdale Fl.

I have been to Bimini. Crossed in vey flat conditions. Autopilot was real nice.

Shopping list. From all to nothing. Mine is over 500 items but I am overdoing it from toothpicks to fly swatters.

PM me if you want  a copy although I suggest that you make your own.

MacGregor 26M

Tedsomango

you really wouldnt mind anoher boat that would be awsome for me if i had a group to go with for the first leg, especial considering it will be my first "real" crossing,! 8)

Lynx

Tedsomango - Not a problem. I hope that you realize that this is to West End and not Bimini. You can get the to the Exumas via Abaco's then Nausa or you can just stay in Abaco's for the season. Not much out of the way and a good trip.

Not planing on water speeds over 6 to 7 mph and should be about a 10 hr run to West End.

I agree that it is safer in numbers as I am single handing and things can go wrong, but that is what the adventure is all about if not for a few risk.
MacGregor 26M

Sonnie

Have a good trip guys (and gal)... The compac's are beautiful boats and I'm sure you'll be fine in the 23. I've been hopping along the south shore of lake Ontario in a Bayfield 25, heading down to the Bahamas as well. After all the people I've met with their 30, 40, and 50 foot boats, it's nice to know that there are others out there who are doin g it in small ones! Way to go Tedsomango. Remember - there's always a reason not to go. Sometimes that reason makes sense. almost always it makes more sense to just "do it anyways" as you said! Woooo-hooo! See ya down there!