News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cruising at home

Started by Frank, May 19, 2008, 08:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Ever notice how you take 'home' for granted sometimes? I was born-raised on the Ottawa river and must admit never truly appreciated its beauty as a youth. It has a backdrop of the Laurention mountains on the N side,many islands,sandy beachs and is quite like Maine or the North Channel with it's rock formations.A sailing buddy is trailering up in late june for a cruise and I'm kinda excited to take the tour with him.We have 60 miles open to cruise on being closed off to the west by a hydro dam and to the east with world class white water.Its been quite a few years since I've toured the whole river and hope to take some pics to share. Lower bay of Long Island sound and MooseHead lake are also in the works for trailersailing this summer.
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

hearsejr

hi Frank,
I never took it forgranted, but here in NC I had blast. dad always took us boating right up till we moved in 1975...of course we moved to Blythe Isl. GA....and went fishing even more! lol.

my first short cruise was on a sun fish on the Pamlico river in 1987. it was more of a camping trip by tiny sailboat. almost wish I could do it one more time just see how things have changed.

Bill

CapnK

I've always loved it here, but it wasn't until I lived in "paradise" (Oahu, Hawaii), that I realized that this place was much closer to Paradise than Hawaii is, if you are staying in one place yet still enjoy variety.

They have better year-round weather, for the likes o' me. BUT, they don't have lakes, creeks, marshes, etc; it's pretty much just 3 things there: mountain, ocean, and a little flat land between the two.

Of course, the waves are a lot better there than here... ;)

Now, if I'd have had a sailboat while I was there, I might be there yet... ;D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)