Started by CapnK, June 21, 2008, 02:18:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Smollett

Quote from: Pappy Jack on July 20, 2008, 07:59:46 PM

the San Francisco Singlehanded Sailing Society's safety requirements list 

Wow.  After reviewing that list, I for one am glad that

(a) I am not a part of that sailing society, and
(b) The Scoot is NOT adopting any kind of similar oversight

And by the way, have you looked into Defender Marine rather than West?  Even with shipping, you can save a TON of money compared to buying from West.  I recently put together an order that the net savings from Defender was $218...on a $380 order.  That's a HUGE savings compared to the total of my order (the West order would have been nearly $600).  None the stuff at Defender was "on sale," that was all usual prices.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Pappy Jack

Captain S.

Yes, I've heard of Defender Marine but have never gotten their catalog or looked them up on line :-[. This is something that I'll correct immediately if not sooner ;D. And yes, it's a good thing that I have almost two years until the race. It'll take me that long to figure everthing out  ;).

There are several single handed races in the Great Lakes that would make a very good warm up for "The Scoot". They are sponsored by  http://www.solosailor.org/index.php and they're not as expensive or as tight @$$ed  as the Singlehanded Sailing Soc.  :o . I plan (hope) to do one next summer as a warm up. Like I've said before, I need all the help I can get. I've sailed a little in the Great Lakes and down through the Everglades and the Keys but this (The Scoot) well expand my experience a hundred fold.

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

P.S. Thanks again for the info.

Auspicious

S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

CharlieJ

Defender is one of the best catalog outlets going. Plus Stephen Lance, who is second generation owner/operator is readily available should you run into problems. He monitors several larger sailing boards regularly ( TSBB and CSBB)

And Stephen's dad, who started the place STILL comes in every day- he's in his 90s.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

David_Old_Jersey

Quote from: Captain Smollett on July 20, 2008, 08:41:36 PM
Quote from: Pappy Jack on July 20, 2008, 07:59:46 PM

the San Francisco Singlehanded Sailing Society's safety requirements list 

Wow.  After reviewing that list, I for one am glad that

(a) I am not a part of that sailing society, and
(b) The Scoot is NOT adopting any kind of similar oversight

I can understand why folk would not want to get involved in scrutineering all that  :o

But I thought the list was nonetheless very informative and IMO mostly common sense with a lot of it not that expensive. Certainly should give folk food for thought even if they decide themselves to do differently. And of course I am sure even these folks would say the list is not meant to be exhaustive.........

Godot

Quote from: Auspicious on July 21, 2008, 11:20:39 AM
Here's some more info on SPOT:

http://ssca.org/DiscBoard/viewtopic.php?t=5619&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I'm not impressed.
I've heard of folks who really like the SPOT, and occasionally someone who doesn't.  Fair enough.  It isn't perfect and probably shouldn't be relied upon as a last resort.  That said, my interest in the device is being able to transmit an "I'm okay, and this is where I am" message.

Hmm.  Perhaps SPOT would be improved if they where to add an external antenna to the unit.  Then if you could keep the device below decks and wired into the twelve volt system it might be a better fit for sailors.  My understanding is that the biggest failure of the unit is that it must be outdoors when transmitting, and that can take awhile. 

Adam
Bayfield 29 "Seeker"
Middle River, Chesapeake Bay

Pappy Jack

There is a nice write up in the May issue of Sail magazine about "Spot". There are a lot of pros and cons about it but it seems that it too new to have much a track record like other devices but then again, the price is right. Well, just read the article and you will see ;). I'm thinking of using this just 'cause of the price. Hope I don't live to regret lit :o

Fair winds,

Pappy Jack

Marc

I'm gonna be digging for my May issue but I think I know where it is, thanks for the info Pappy Jack.  Marc
s/v Lorinda Des Moines, Iowa

TJim

A fellow Triton owner in Juneau has the spot installed and I've been tracking him for about 10 days now.
Just got mine in the mail yesterday.  Brand new, $134 including freight. If you want to check it out........
www.share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?&glId=0tDemhxA5VQMgcgzRzSqG8zpHq3qYDWPM
heck of an address huh!!!! TJim

TJim

Make that address a www.//share  TJim

s/v Faith

Quote from: TJim on July 23, 2008, 11:58:43 AM
Make that address a www.//share  TJim

If you make the address like this;

{url=www.waythehecktoolongaddress.com}Put title of address you want to display here{/url}

Just replace the { with [

The original address of;

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?&glId=0tDemhxA5VQMgcgzRzSqG8zpHq3qYDWPM

Will work like; This.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

AdriftAtSea

s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

TJim

Well thanks... that works and if anyone is truely curious about spot....there it be....looks like he's back to Juneau now but he's been out bumming around for about 10 days now... TJim

s/v Faith

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on July 23, 2008, 12:08:56 PM
s/v Faith—

Actually, neither of your links work, since the link is actually http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?&glId=0tDemhxA5VQMgcgzRzSqG8zpHq3qYDWPM with no www on it.

LINK

Thanks Dan, I just copied the original link as posted.

okawbow

I have the spot, and used it this spring on a 1000 mile trip down river, and across the Gulf. I don't have the tracking feature, and don't really see why it's needed. I sent an "OK" message every day after anchoring for the night. It takes about 2-10 minutes for the message to send. I always just turned the unit on, and set it on the engine cover, just inside the cabin. It never failed to complete the transmission. I also sent the "OK" message every 4 hours when offshore. Family and freinds were very enthusiastic about getting these messages, which included a link to a map. At one point, I had about 30 people following my daily progress.

I like the "HELP" button feature, as it only sends the message to the people on your list.(up to 5 email addresses). You can pre-program the message to read something like: " I"m not in danger, but need help at these co-ordinates . Please notify ships or planes in the area to contact me on Ch 16 VHF, or ???SSB for details of my problem." This is a great feature as it allows the possibility of help for an engine, or rigging problem, without getting rescue people involved. It might allow you to save your boat in the process.

"911" feature also allows you to pre set a message. I gave the timeline, and details of my trip, my boat description, name, registration number, and cellphone number. This message is sent to the people on your list, and also to a live operator, who contacts your people by phone, as well as contacts the "authorities". The unit continues to send the "911" signal with your postion, for 48 hours or more. You can then put new batteries in if needed, for more time.

Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

s/v Faith

I quoted your post to start a thread to discuss the SPOT.

Grog for being the SPOT Guinea pig.   ;)

hearsejr

Alex over at http://www.projectbluesphere.com/has one and he seems to like it. he has it linked to the cruise log so you can check where he is.

I plan on getting one also n a couple of weeks.

Bill

vinegarj

an excellent warm-up race on lake michigan.....still time to enter.
great bunch of people.
Lake Michigan Singlehanded Society - Solo Challenge
August 15, 2008
Across the lake (racine to muskegon) and back, nonstop, ~135nm's.
http://www.lmssonline.com/

newt

If we wanted to do these Great Lakes races, but didn't want to haul our boats cross country, could we "bareboat" from the local community? Would the local solo society be willing to help us find an appropriate small boat?
Just wondering...
Newt
When I'm sailing I'm free and the earth does not bind me...

ronc98

I would think in the long run it would be easier pulling your boat across the country then provisioning and sailing an unfamiliar boat.   

For me there is something to be said about it actually being your own boat and knowing her in and out.  Then again I am a bit wierd that way.