News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Trailer Maintenance & Use

Started by ThistleCap, August 16, 2009, 06:00:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ThistleCap

As I posted on Chesapeake Cruise, a trailer problem can end a SailFar cruise before it starts.  In trying to maintain equipment, I find good information on trailer maintenance and requirements in short supply.  My fire has prompted me to do more research.  I'm still on the uphill side of the trailer learning curve, so would hope some experts may feel compelled to chime in.  Here's what I've learned so far:

1. Brakes are required by the DOT on trailers over 3,000 lbs. gross, but some states have reduced that to as little as 1,000 to 1,500 lbs. gross.  Tandem axles are supposed to have brakes on both axles if over 5,000 lbs. gross.

2. DOT requires that a supplemental actuator be available to brake the trailer without the tow vehicle brakes being engaged.  While this is common on electric brakes, this makes surge brakes technically illegal, a fact that has been ignored for decades.  Maryland did pass a law in 2004 making surge brakes legal on trailers of less than 10,000 lbs. gross, or less than one-and-a-half times the weight of the towing vehicle.

3.  Surge brakes need the brake fluid replaced each year and bled.

4. Bearings should be cleaned, inspected, and repacked once a season, or more often if towing long distances or frequently.  It's recommended that seals be replaced with each service.

5. Most sites seem to recommend electric brakes, whether disc or drum, over surge brakes.  Electric brakes caused problems in the past because of submersion, but with better metals or galvanizing, they no longer seem to be as problematic.  The parts are cheaper, easier to maintain, and are adjustable.  They recommend that if rebuilding a trailer or having one made new, to go with electric brakes rather than surge.

The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.
There is no life without water.

ThistleCap

This is too involved a topic to post on a cruising site, so instead I'll refer you to what I found on Trailer Sailor Bulletin Board.  If you go to "search" and put in 'trailer brakes bearings', you'll find a wealth of information.  Look in particular for entries by Charles Brennan.  As he says, he's already made all the possible mistakes, and writes clearly with step-by-step procedures on proper bearing installation.  I'm still looking for brake info, but check it out.  That will probably work better for you than me trying to transfer all the information here.  Good luck.

http://bbs.trailersailor.com/cgi-bin/searchwebbbs.pl
http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#technical_support
The only thing better than sailing is breathing, but neither is of much worth without the other.

okawbow

"2. DOT requires that a supplemental actuator be available to brake the trailer without the tow vehicle brakes being engaged.  While this is common on electric brakes, this makes surge brakes technically illegal, a fact that has been ignored for decades.  Maryland did pass a law in 2004 making surge brakes legal on trailers of less than 10,000 lbs. gross, or less than one-and-a-half times the weight of the towing vehicle."

I have surge brakes on my trailer. I cannot apply the brakes separately, but they have a cable that applies the brakes if the trailer comes loose from the tow vehicle. My boat and trailer weigh 7000#. The surge brakes on both axles, make braking a breeze. You can hardly tell the trailer is there. I've put several thopusand miles on the trailer, and have had no brake problems. I have had a bearing break after hitting a huge pothole on the interstate. I always carry a bearing replacement kit and tools. I had a new bearing installed in about 1 hour, and was on my way.
Here he lies where he long'd to be;  
Home is the sailor, home from the sea,  
  And the hunter home from the hill.

CharlieJ

;D ;D

CB is a good friend of ours-he's trailered the same boat for 30 years now,and as he says, hasmade ALL the mistakes ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Quote from: okawbow on August 17, 2009, 03:40:34 PM
"2. DOT requires that a supplemental actuator be available to brake the trailer without the tow vehicle brakes being engaged.  While this is common on electric brakes, this makes surge brakes technically illegal, a fact that has been ignored for decades.  Maryland did pass a law in 2004 making surge brakes legal on trailers of less than 10,000 lbs. gross, or less than one-and-a-half times the weight of the towing vehicle."

I have surge brakes on my trailer. I cannot apply the brakes separately, but they have a cable that applies the brakes if the trailer comes loose from the tow vehicle. My boat and trailer weigh 7000#. The surge brakes on both axles, make braking a breeze. You can hardly tell the trailer is there. I've put several thopusand miles on the trailer, and have had no brake problems. I have had a bearing break after hitting a huge pothole on the interstate. I always carry a bearing replacement kit and tools. I had a new bearing installed in about 1 hour, and was on my way.

That is what mine does

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

ThistleCap

What DOT is referring to is common with airbrake or electric braking systems.  They have either an air release knob or handle on the actuator controller under the dash so the trailer brakes can be activated independently of the tow vehicle in the event the trailer starts to slide or jack-knife.  Surge brakes can't activate until a half-second after the tow vehicle has applied the brakes, and that is what makes them technically illegal by federal standards. The cable is basically just a "dead man" device to apply full brakes once you and your trailer have parted ways.

Tim, one possible source of my problem is my disconnecting procedure.  The Champion literature says you have to apply pulling pressure on the tongue before disconnecting the coupler.  Not doing so can leave the cylinder partially compressed, and the connecting push rod exposed to the weather.  Any resulting corrosion can cause the brakes to not fully release, or can cause the discs to stick to the rotor requiring disassembly of the brakes to get them loose.
http://www.championtrailers.com/techsup.html#technical_support

Tim

Good point, I have yet to use mine much, only to bring Mariah home to work on her. I knew about the bleeding and that bleeders will get frozen from corrosion if not checked regularly
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

ThistleCap

To wrap this up, I'll give you the bottom line.  The first thing to do, to follow Charles Brennan's advice, is to take your boat to a truck stop, feed co-op, anywhere with scales, and weight the total gross weight of your boat with trailer and gear.  Disconnect from the tow vehicle for this.  Then weigh it with the trailer connected to the truck, but the truck off the scale.  The difference is your tongue weight.  Now you have actual figures to reveal what loads your trailer, tow vehicle, tires, and bearings are actually enduring.  Charles Brennan did a lengthy article on trailer sailor bulletin board that enables you to calculate the life expectancy of your bearings based on your 'load factor', which you can now calculate.  I just ordered the materials from Champion to upgrade my trailer to over 10,000 lbs.  The coupler and brake actuator are 10,000#, the axles are tandem 6,000#, the springs are 5-leaf with total capacity of 11,600#, the 6-hub Spindle-Lube hubs take 15" radial tires (ST225/75R15) for total capacity of 10,160#.  Besides everything running cooler (in theory, based on the experience of other), my bearing life expectancies have gone from 280 hrs. before to 2,500 hrs.  With the number of small boat sailors that must rely on trailers, I hope someone can benefit from my experience without repeating it.