News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Fuels ?!?!

Started by s/v Faith, December 20, 2005, 12:18:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

starcrest

I carry propane only in the small bottles use and thro away.2 for about $4.50.one bottle lasts about 8 hrs.these are easy to store and for the most part safe to store.propane is given a garlic-type odor so its easy to smell.I keep several onboard all the time...when its time for a voyage about 20 will do just fine
"I will be hoping to return to the boating scene very soon.sea trial not necessary"
Rest in Peace Eric; link to Starcrest Memorial thread.

Pixie Dust

I have an 11hp Diesal Universal engine.  Fuel tank is 10 gal, I carry 2- 5 gal cans too that fit under the helmstation seat. 
I carry several 1# propane bottles for the barbeque grill on the stern rail.
I have the Origo nonpressurized 2 burner stove and use denatured alcohol.
I also have an oil lamp and carry the clean lamp oil for that.
I have a little Coleman heater that uses the propane bottles for anchoring out on chilly nights and if at dockside, I plug in a fan heater.  Both keep the boat toasty.   I also have a toaster oven I can bake in if at dockside.  When I head to the Bahamas, I will probably leave that at home.  :0
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

LauraG

test image

Se Langt

had the same problem and ended up with diesel, propane and some high grade candle oil for the interior lamps. I just kept cutting away the need for anything else until the types of fuel was manageable and then concentrated on safety.  Electricity has taken the place of some items and for that it's solar panels and a wind generator...

M.

s/v Faith

Revised poll to add 'Mineral spirits' and to allow people to change votes.

Some good info in this thread, wonder if anyone (else) has changed their fuel use?

I no longer carry alcohol onboard (it is in the dock box).

Mineral Spirits have taken the place of the lamp oil and kerosene, I have not run them in the heater yet as the tank is still full (the flue is not perminantly mounted yet).

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Fortis

Deisel for the inboard.
Propane for the stove.
electric for the tender outboard.

We keep some acetone on board for cleaning.

Alex.

AdriftAtSea

Gasoline for the outboard, propane for the stove and barbeque grill, butane for the lighters, and lamp oil for the cabin lamp.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Auspicious

I think the biggest problem with LPG (whether propane or butane) is not the gas (assuming proper installation and handling) but the connectors. I have Swedish connections on the propane tanks (that I can hopefully convert to OPG once I burn through the fuel load I still have from the Azores) for the cooker, the screw-on type for small propane cylinders for the grill, and push-to-fill type for a butane soldering iron. I have a good-sized gas locker, but still have to fiddle around and pad stuff to keep things from rattling and wearing through. A pain.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

CapnK

Dave -

Those connectors are the things that you always read about as one of the things to be prepared for when using LPG on a cruising boat. Before I leave, I'll have to find a source for the ones I can expect to see on my route, I reckon.

Aren't yours Swedish because that is where the boat was built?

How about a pic of that gas locker, if you can. :)
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Auspicious

The best resource for LPG connections in Europe is Jack Tyler's site http://www.svsarah.com/Whoosh/NA%20LPG%20in%20Europe.htm for Whoosh.

I'll get pictures up as soon as I can. I do have a bit bigger boat than the audience here, but perhaps what I have can spark some creativity.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

skylark

What are some good ideas on how to transfer fuel without spilling and getting stinky?

For example if you have a 5 gallon jug of gas, and you want to fill your outboard gas tank.  Would you siphon?  or fill with the spout? Do you have any other methods to avoid smelling like gas afterwards?

Another question, is there a good way to fill kerosene lamps and stoves? I use a funnel but too often overfill the stove, then have to mop it up quick before it drips.  I'm sure there is a better way.

I have an idea to use one of those small plastic pesticide sprayers.  Fill it with kerosene and pump up the pressure, then use the dispenser to fill the stove or lamp.  I will test this out when I can get back aboard.

Paul

Southern Lake Michigan

CharlieJ

Skylark- that's an easy one.

We have a fuel bulb and hose  from an outboard. Doesn't matter what kind.

I stick the long end down into the gas can, the other end into the motor tank and squeeze til I get the syphon  running- then just monitor it until the tank is as full as I want. Set the big jug on the cockpit seat and the motor tank in the sole of the cockpit.

The hose is too large for our kerosene lanterns and our stove so I shoved a small chunk of copper tubing in the end- the copper tubing fits the lanterns and stove exactly BUT it's hard to stop the syphon at exactly the right level -

SOOO

I either syphon or pour the correcxt amount into one of those aluminum fuel containers- Wal mart has them now- the spun aluminum ones. Then I syphon that into the stove or lantern.

Easy
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

maxiSwede

That´s a REALLY good idea, Charlie. Thanks... urmm, no patents pending I hope  8)
s/v  Nanna
Southern Cross 35' Cutter in French Polynesia
and
H-boat 26' - Sweden

svnanna.wordpress.com

AdriftAtSea

The section of hose with a priming bulb in it is the way to go...you don't risk getting a mouthful of kerosene, diesel or gasoline—as you would with a regular siphon, and it is pretty fool proof.  Also, outboard motor fuel lines are relatively resistant to most fuels. If you're going to use it with gasoline, make sure you get the newer fuel hose that is also alcohol resistant, since most gasolines nowadays seem to have ethanol in them. 

I would highly recommend you not use an insecticide sprayer with any kind of fuel... unless you've switched out the hose and nozzle, which may not be fuel resistant, it is a pretty good bomb.  Once you pressurize it, any small leaks will atomize the fuel in to a mist that is probably quite flammable.  In fact, gasoline under pressure and a good nozzle is a great way to make an FAE... which is not something you want on board a boat. Also, if you forget to depressurize the sprayer and it is stowed with any fuel in it..it is just a bomb waiting to go off. 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at

s/v Faith

My problem with the hose method is that I am a flake.  ;)

I have used it a few times, and have forgotten about it until I started smelling fuel.  :o

Once was aboard the boat... not gonna say any more about that, and the next time was filling 5 gal cans from a full 19 gal tank I had on the tailgate of the truck. Then there was one time after Hurricane Ivan (same 19 gallon tank) filling the generator.

The problem I had was that the smaller diameter tube takes so long to transfer the fuel that I loose track before it is done.

I still keep a length of 3/8" fuel hose aboard to be able to do this... but prefer to use the funnel.

I just took a look online, and did not find a picture of the one I use... but it was purchased from an autoparts store, and is about 18" long.  It works pretty well, and I can use it without spilling a drop in most conditions.

Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Couldn't you plumb a T on the fuel supply side of the bulb as an "off valve?"  Keep your finger over it for "on" and when the tank/can/whatever gets about where you want it, pop off the finger.  This will break the siphon.

Charlie, as for using those smaller aluminum fuel bottles (like back packers carry??), I use one of those little rings that fit around the cap.  It has a large hole/spout for pouring and a small hole for a vent.  You pour with your finger over the vent (but not touching), then when you want to stop the flow, finger to the vent.  Works like a charm.  To store, loosen the cap and twist the ring 90 degrees (it has to line up with a hole in the cap if your bottle is like the ones I am thinking of), but I keep mine tied to the cap with a piece of string.  I've used this set-up camping for well over a decade.

The kind of bottle I mean:

I also have one of these (not the ring I mentioned above) and it works similarly, but replaces the cap rather than fits around it:

S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

CharlieJ

Yep- that's the bottles I meant- we have a couple that we use for our ready supply of Mineral Spirits for the stove and lanterns. I fill them as needed from our large container of Spirits.

Got a pic of the ring thing you are speaking of? I 've never seen one of those, but it sounds interesting.

As for breaking the siphon, all you have to do is pull the end from the large jug- does the same thing. And when I'm transferring fuel into the boat tank, I'm usually in the cockpit and we may be underway- I STAY there and watch the level constantly. We carry a pair of 3 gallon fuel tanks so it only takes a few minutes to fill one. And I usually only have to do it once a day underway, since we got the 4 stroke motor. The two 3 gallon tanks will run us about 15 hours starting from full.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

boblamb

Speaking of fuel...can anyone tell me if the poly tanks are suitable for diesel fuel?

BobLamb
CP23d
boblamb     still..."Blest B'yond B'lief"

Captain Smollett

Quote from: CharlieJ on March 09, 2007, 10:09:04 AM

Got a pic of the ring thing you are speaking of? I 've never seen one of those, but it sounds interesting.

I did some searching for my last post and could not find any. I bought it YEARS ago and they may not even be made anymore.  I'll see if I can take a pic of the one I have.

Quote from: boblamb

can anyone tell me if the poly tanks are suitable for diesel fuel?

If by poly you mean polyethylene then yes they can be used.  There are polyethylene fuel (gasoline and diesel) tanks on the market.

Edit to fix quote tag.
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

AdriftAtSea

I believe the fuel tanks must be made of crosslinked polyethylene, rather than the linear polyethylene used in water tanks.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran