News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Memory Foam

Started by Mr. Fixit, March 30, 2010, 01:43:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr. Fixit

Today i got started on another project i wanted to do before the boat is in the water. last fall i thought the cushions in my v berth could have been more comfortable, so today I took them apart and am going to add 2" of memory foam. The cushions had 4" of foam but it is kind of soft. 6" total should be more comfortable I am going to reuse the top, and. bottom covers and just make new sides, with derlrin zippers. I found a supplier that I have been buying fabric from that has good prices on foam. Nice weather coming up north here--hope to do some painting next week, May will be here before i am ready!!! Time is one directional--

Auspicious

If you are going to replace the sides of the covers anyway, how about using an open weave fabric so that the foam will ventilate? Just a thought. I haven't tried it, but have seen it on lounge chair cushions.
S/V Auspicious
HR 40 - a little big for SailFar but my heart is on small boats
Chesapeake Bay

Beware cut and paste sailors.

Mr. Fixit

after working several hours with a seam ripper I did not have one cushion taken apart and had put several holes in the fabric, so I will have to purchase fabric for the new cushions. I have enough sunbrella for the tops--should i also use a ventilating fabric for the bottom section as well as the sides???

AdriftAtSea

You might consider using ventilating fabric for the sides and sunbrella for the top and bottom panels.  This is so that you can flip the cushions over to spread the wear out.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Mr. Fixit

Thanks for the info, since i have to order material i might as well do it right. At one time there was a mat available to install under metal roofing to reduce condensation. I do not remember what it was made of but looked like loosely woven straw, it may have been fiberglass not sure. If I can find something like that it would be good to put under vberth cushions. It would provide air flow and reduce condensation.