LED NAV and Anchor lights, Bebi and others discussion....

Started by s/v Faith, December 19, 2005, 10:33:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

s/v Faith

I was considering putting together my own LED anchor light as my power budget numbers simply will not come in line.

Doing some surfing I came across a small company out of Fiji, who was making various lighting products.

Here is a quote from their web site;

[color=0fee0332]"Bebi (pronounced mbambi in Fijian) ultrabright white LED Light Assemblies have been engineered and tested in the Samoan, Tongan, and Fiji Islands by experienced (20 years) cruising sailors and have been tested over the course of the last four years on a variety of boats.  By using tinned pigtail leads, they can be used with impunity in the elements instead of trying to rely on the improbability of waterproofing an automotive socket.  Because of this, and their inherent LED technology, they are also a good choice for a stinkpot, which will often loose an incandescant navigation light when a cold wave hits.

Our cruising has shown that lights will only fail when they are most needed (which, in this part of the world, is typically in the middle of an on-shore gale, surrounded by poorly charted reefs).  To prevent this, the LED's within our light assemblies have a been electrically matched and incorporate a current regulator circuit. Our Masina Navigation Lights take the marine safety concept even further by having a 100% redundant lighting design.

Most LED's lights designed for either the automotive or decorative lighting market rely on a simple dropping resistor in their circuit, with the assumption that they will be used over a small voltage range.  In marine and off-grid applications, LED lights see a far greater voltage range.  As a consequence, either the dropping resistor has to be sized for the greatest possible voltage, with an attendant and linear decrease in light as the voltage drops into the "normal" discharging voltage level (12.25-12.75 volts), or the lifetime of the light unit is reduced.  Our testing has shown that a resistor that is sized for a 12.75 volt supply will lead to a module failure within 4 years! 

Not only do our lights contain a regulator circuit, but LED's have a very wide range of performance values.  All of the LED's within our light assemblies have been 100% tested AND matched for even greater improved reliability.

Our lights have not yet been submitted for testing by any nation's government agencies as navigation running lights (port, starboard, stern, and tri-color) or anchor lights, so you must install them at your own risk. It is our opinion that the risk of yachting without lights in an effort to save power is a much greater risk than irritating an insurance underwriter. Our opinion has been shared by over 400 cruising boats calling in Savusavu who saw our lights before they bought and used them after seeing their ultra bright white LED performance.

With our rigorous testing and a current regulator circuit, we feel confident in offering a lifetime replacement for our lights, with the proviso that they not be subject to greater than 16 volts DC (32 volts for the Namu and Bebe)."
[/color]

I purchased their;

OWL15 LED Ultrabright MARINEAnchor/Masthead Light Assembly <=== poke here.

They shipped promptly, and the light was well packaged.  I also bought 2 'doe' reading lights.

In playing around with them, they are well put together and bright.

I will post more when I get them installed.........
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

CapnK

Awesome link, Craig! Your Google-Fu is incredible. :D I've never heard of these, but think that I wll be a customer really soon...

I liked this part of the quoted text:

Quote(which, in this part of the world, is typically in the middle of an on-shore gale, surrounded by poorly charted reefs).

LOL! :D:D

Compared to this freezing cold weather, that *almost* sounds better. :D
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

CapnK

I've been waiting a while for the USCG to put their stamp of approval on LED navigation lights, so that I could enjoy the obvious benefits from them (less power draw from the house batteries, no need to worry about burnt-out bulbs, or changing them). The following lights are USCG approved for use on powerboats under 20 meters - I figure it is safe to use them on a sailboat which is under 10 meters. YMMV. :)

LED lights have been approved by the FAA and in use on airplanes that travel hundreds of mph for several years already, so I knew that they were up to the task for a small boat that might be making 6.5 knots on a good night. I've cobbled together my own LED's before, but having lights with the USCG Certification makes for a better choice in our too-litiginous society.

I received these as Christmas gifts, and will have them mounted and in use when I start sailing this spring, post-mast refit. Consider this a pre-review, based on having them in-hand. They aren't exactly cheap yet (what "marine hardware" is?), but have come waaay down in price, and, when you consider the benifits, I don't think they are too expensive at all. Here's what I have so far -

CSI Speco - Vision Series LED Navigation Light - 2 Mile Combo Bow Light - $60 from BoatersWorld.com (top picture, below). According to the package it came in, this light uses only 1/2 Watt of electricity (website says 1 Watt), and has a 50,000 hour service light. Unlike an incandescent bi-color, it is the LED's themselves which shine green and red, not the cover over them which imparts a color. There are 3 LED's of each color which shine through a type of "lens" that seems like it broadens the viewing angle to what it should be. The light seems brighter than my current incandescent bi-color bow light (I'll try to get a pic of this and post it later). The entire electrical component of this light is encased in what looks like epoxy - there is no way that I can see how water could get in and cause failure. That's Good, in my book.

CSI Speco - Vision Series LED Navigation Light Allround Pedestal Mount Stern Light - $70 from BoatersWorld.com (bottom picture, below). This light has the same 50,000 hour service life as the above light, but uses *3* Watts (I've never seen such a bright LED!). This light is easily as visible as my Davis anchor light ever was, even with it's brighter, higher-draw bulb in. I originally was going to use this as a masthead light, but since Craig posted the info about the Owl LED masthead light below, I think I will use that company's product instead, and will be using this light as a steaming/foredeck light. Christmas night, I set it on the roof of my car, wired to my jump-starter, and walked about 1/2 mile down the road from my mothers house. At that distance, the LED was noticeably brighter than a 40-60 watt incandescent household fixture that is next to my mothers front door.

All I need now is a LED stern light. :)

Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Zen

https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

s/v Faith

That really is cool, the only USCG approved LED lighting I knew of was that Tricolor rig at like $300 !

I am experimenting with various glass condiment jars to find the right housing for my Owl.  ;o
  (It does not need a housing, but it won't hurt... .now, what am I gonna do with all this mustard......  ???

oded kishony

I seem to recall an article in Good Old
Boat on converting interior lighting to LEDs, Anyone remember which issue?

oded kishony

~~ _/) ~~

CapnK

Didn't see that, oded, but I'll start a thread in Boat Bits on cabin lighting for us to talk about what we use...
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

djn

Hey All, I might be speaking from ignance but what about using replacement LED light for car taillights.  I put them in all my custom bikes and they get ABUSED!!!.  Water leeking in and standing for months on end.  Vibration (HD) up the butt.  G-pulls from drag racing.  The only cost $10.00 at the auto parts store.  Am I missing something?  I am planning on putting them in my lights on the C25.  Cheers.

s/v Faith

Quote from: djn on January 03, 2006, 11:53:54 PM
Hey All, I might be speaking from ignance but what about using replacement LED light for car taillights.  I put them in all my custom bikes and they get ABUSED!!!.  Water leeking in and standing for months on end.  Vibration (HD) up the butt.  G-pulls from drag racing.  The only cost $10.00 at the auto parts store.  Am I missing something?  I am planning on putting them in my lights on the C25.  Cheers.

It is a great idea, the only problem is that they would not be USCG approved.  Not an issue really, unless you get a ticket  for improper lighting.  (a friend reciently paid $195 for just such a ticket).

Worse yet, would be the aftermath of a collision.  Joe powerboater's lawyer looking for an out for his client who has just rammed you at night under way would love to find something like unaproved running lights.

That said, like everything else in life I believe it is a risk decision we all should make on our own.  I have an 'unauthorized' anchor light that I hang from my backstay.  I can see it from much farther then my 'authorized' anchor light that draws 16x more current.

Dougcan

DJN, the main problem with using "replacement tail light" LEDs is that the LEDs output is pointing in one direction only, What is needed is an LED that shine in all direction (360º) equally. 

Maybe this will work if one can use an inverted reflective cone on top of the bulb?

djn

Hi Dougcan, gotch'ya.  That makes sense.  I did find a good source for LEDs for the cabin lights.  They plug in like normal but lay flat and are bright.  Here is the link.  Cheers.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/led_prods.htm

Zen

Prefect Prefect Prefect
Just what I needed!!!!   :D

Now I can replace those auto bulbs in my cabin!!!

GREAT!  8)
https://zensekai2japan.wordpress.com/
Vice-Commodore - International Yacht Club

hearsejr

I would love to replace the bulbs on  my next boat, but I'm wondering, if could put a tri color on the mast head and be leagle if my boat came with the steamer light on the front of the pole and a light on each side of the bow pulpit, and one on the stern? I'll have to check the regs. but I was wondering about that lawyer thing.
Bill

s/v Faith

Yes, as I understnad it you can.  You just have to display legal lights.

Ie; sailing ; either the tricolor masthead light OR the bow lights and stern light.

Motoring; running lights on the bow, th elight on the stern, and fwd facing light on the mast.

You just can not display all together..... that is you can't if you want to be legal.

hearsejr

thanks, I figure the next boat I plan on taking it out to Bahama, USVI's and so furth.  I was told mast head was easier to spot. 
I figure I could get some of the led bulbs for the cabin lights, but I'm not so sure they will use less amps as the one I saw had like 6 leds in one bulb. I have a flash light with the LED bulb and it is super bright.
Bill

Fortis

For a mast-top anchour light, I find that getting the $10 auto replacement bulb that has 6 or 8 LED on it and taking off the top plate to reveal the LED's soldered to the board works well. You can then carefully bend the "legs" on the LED's so that they point outwards in all directions. You now have 360degrees of good directional LED's. Lining the top of the anchor light casing with foil also helps.

For port and starboard nav lights, do NOT use white LED's. It is pointless and inefficient. Use red and green LED's respectively and that way the filter is not "taking away" anything from the light in order to make it red or green. In short 100% efficiency (well, nearly).

Alex.

AdriftAtSea

I have a masthead tricolor/anchor/strobe light that was made by Orca Green Marine.  I like it a lot.  The draw on it is almost nothing, about a sixth of the incandescent anchor light it replaced, and it is far more versatile.

As for navigation lights, my understanding is that under sail you can use either a bicolor and stern light, or a masthead tricolor, but not both.  and under power, you can use an all-around white light and a bicolor or a bicolor, steaming light and stern light.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CapnK

Craig - any updates you'd care to share on your Bebi light? I've been meaning to ask about it for quite some time... :)
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

s/v Faith

Quote from: CapnK on February 25, 2007, 09:21:49 AM
Craig - any updates you'd care to share on your Bebi light? I've been meaning to ask about it for quite some time... :)

I have used it several times, but just rigged up to hang from the backstay as it is not mounted on top of the mast. 

It is very bright, and I have no doubt that it is much more visable then the incandescent bulb at the top of my mast (when it worked, it is burned out right now).

The 'doe' cabin lights I bought are still in the bag... with so many projects going on, I have not got a 'roundtuit' yet.

OBTW, do not buy the conventional light fixture with the screw on plastic top (can not really call it a lens).  I went aloft to change out a bulb, and the old one crumbled in my hand and turned to powder.

It looked like the Atwood lens seen here from West Marine.

Cmdr Pete

I had been looking for LED double contact replacement bulbs that would fit in the  nav light housings on my boat. Didn't have much luck.

I believe only the Dr. LED bulbs are approved right now. But, they only fit certain types of fixtures. The LED bulbs tend to be very tall.

Here are some links I saved

http://www.doctorled.com/p2.htm

http://www.keysaver.nl/index.php?ID=2323

http://www.ledshoponline.com/marine_led.htm

http://www.mastlight.com/15up12VDC.html

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/store/commerce.cgi?product=CAR

1965 Pearson Commander "Grace"

Melonseed Skiff "Molly"