News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Furling head sail

Started by Solace, January 12, 2006, 09:10:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Solace

Okay, I have an old Furlex (now Selden). I've had a couple of problems, and once I've replaced a couple of parts I think I'll be good to go. However, the previous boat owner claims he had problems with it as well and suggests that I start all over and buy a better brand or model.

I'm looking for opinions here - what's the best? why? what do you use? have you had any problems with it - if so, what problems?

Thanks in advance to your input.

Cheers!

John

CapnK

Sol -

When I was talking with Neal the other night, this came up. IIRC, the brand he raved about was Profurl. He said that they have an unparalleled record on racing boats.

We'll have to ask him about it during the chat session...
http://sailfar.net
Please Buy My Boats. ;)

Skipper Dave

Hope I'm not too late but I've had my Profurl for a couple of years and works great.  Make sure to have it installed by someone who knows what they are doing. Lots of parts and fittings.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

This morning it looked so nice out I thought I'd leave it out.

S/V "Tina Marie" Cal 2-27

Pixie Dust

I had a friend give me a storm jib to borrow for the trip.  He thought it had a sleeve to use on roller furling  (Yes my sailfar friends, I have a roller furling and I love it.  :D ) However, the storm jib is a hank on.   I have an extra halyard now, but I do not have an extra inner stay. 
Any other suggestions on how I can fly it if need be?

Also, diesel leaked on it in his boat.  I have soaked it in the tub in oxyclean x2, dawn x2 and lots of rinsing,  and then sunshine, air dried on my deck for 3 days.   Still has the odor.  Today I sprayed with Fabreze  (nor sure if I should have, but I did)  Any ideas on getting rid of diesel odor?
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

One thing you might be able to do is get a piece of sail cloth, about as long as the storm jib's luff and about two feet wide.  Add webbing straps and D-rings to it at the same places the hanks are, perpedicular to the cloth, and then use that as a sleeve over your furling head sail.  The sleeve will prevent the furling head sail from unfurling in heavy weather and will also act as a pivot, and spread the load out over a wide area of the furled headsail. 

Of course, if you made it the length of your headstay, you could use it for almost any hanked on jib, over a roller furled headsail.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

s/v Faith

Did we have another thread where this was discussed?  I thought I had posted on the pro-Furl I have....  ???

Anyway, I like having a furler, I believe that I sail more (3 to 5 days a week) because I have a furler.

I am not a big fan of the Profurl, however.  I have sailed / worked on other boats with Hood, CDI, North, and Furlex furlers.  The non-continuous line furlers are best (IMHO) and the pro-furl is the TYPE that I like.  The two problems I have with it are both related to the swivel bearing that attaches the jib halyard to the head.  It is supposed to be a 'lifetime sealed, no maintenance' bearing.... it is not.

It also has a plastic bushing that allows it to ride up the furler as you raise the main.  It does not.... it hangs up going up, and it hangs up going down.  I once had to go aloft to lower my headsail, and was not a great fan of Pro-furl that day.

Part of the issue is the small allen head set screws that hold the individual extrusions together, I tightened all of them (again, requiring going aloft) and the problem is not as bad, but still hard to raise / lower the head sail.  Good thing is that with the furler you really don't have to do that often.
Satisfaction is wanting what you already have.

Captain Smollett

Quote from: s/v Faith on August 25, 2006, 12:42:08 PM
Did we have another thread where this was discussed?  I thought I had posted on the pro-Furl I have....  ???

Yep. Here ya go:  Hanks or roller thread.

Good memory.  That thread (and your comment) was from December 2005!   :)
S/V Gaelic Sea
Alberg 30
North Carolina

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.  -Mark Twain

Pixie Dust

Quote from: AdriftAtSea on August 25, 2006, 11:00:54 AM
One thing you might be able to do is get a piece of sail cloth, about as long as the storm jib's luff and about two feet wide.  Add webbing straps and D-rings to it at the same places the hanks are, perpedicular to the cloth, and then use that as a sleeve over your furling head sail.  The sleeve will prevent the furling head sail from unfurling in heavy weather and will also act as a pivot, and spread the load out over a wide area of the furled headsail. 

Of course, if you made it the length of your headstay, you could use it for almost any hanked on jib, over a roller furled headsail.
Good Idea.  I was also thinking about taking plastic coated wire, cut it large enough to go around the furling, possibly string round balls on it for rolling ease, crimp eyes in both ends and attach at the hanks.   Not sure if that would work, but an idea I was toying with while staring at it this weekend.   The sleeve would definitely spread out the pressure points.  Thanks for the idea.
Connie
s/v Pixie Dust
Com-pac 27/2

AdriftAtSea

The idea with the wire isn't bad, as long as you put parrel beads on it to help reduce the friction and chafe.  I think the real problem with individual wires is tha they won't spread the load out sufficiently and getting them all tensioned properly is probably a bit tougher.

Also, storing them is probably more of a pain than storing the single sleeve, even though the sleeve is going to be bulkier. 

BTW, one last thought on the sleeve, you could always stow it with the jib still attached.
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more