News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Tehani gets some new trim

Started by CharlieJ, August 05, 2008, 09:16:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieJ

This a is the post I made on TSBB that got the request for the table posting. So here's the original.

For a long time we've put up with a problem in Tehani. When we rebuilt her we just painted the bulkhead between the fore cabin and the main cabin.

That bulkhead looked like this

The problem was the tendency for us to put our hands down on the top edge when getting into and out of the Vee berth, and when coming out of the fore cabin. The oil from the hands was softening the paint and making it look black and quite ugly. Laura has repainted the top edges several times and has generally been unhappy with it. She's been wanting me to make some trim to go there, so I finally found time to do it.

I traced the curves of the top edges- BOTH sides because they turned out to NOT be duplicates. I cut molds to the shape of those curves and laminated some ash trim to fit there. Sorry- no pics of the construction.

Once the two trim pieces were made I marked the bulkheads and using a coping saw, hand saw, rasp and chisel, cut out the bulkheads to match the new trim.

I then rough screwed the new trim in place and epoxied under it with plastic tape on the back edge so the trim wouldn't stick. The bulkhead is 3/4 thick with glass on both sides and some of the glass had pulled loose. So I clamped that in place at the same time.

Once that cured I final screwed the trim , plugged the screw holes and sanded everything to shape to match the existing bulkhead. It had been roughly shaped in the shop, but not til installed could I make it match exactly.

Once all the shaping was completed I turned the job over to Laura for her paint and varnish skills ( she won't let me in the boat with a paint brush) ;D

And here's an overall shot of the finished trim . We're really hopeful it will hold up better than the paint, or at least not look as ugly if it doesn't.

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

polecat

CJ - Please tell Laura "another masterful job making Charlies work look good" ......
not to bad yourself. 
jim

Shipscarver

Well done, CharlieJ !  :)
Did you use steam to bend the ash? It finished up beautifully.
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

CharlieJ

No steam- I cut the strips to about 1/16th inch thick and soaked them in water. Bent them, clamped it up and let them dry, then took it apart and glued using epoxy. Ash takes bends very well and we love the way it finishes, which is why we used it on the interior of our last two boats.

I hate the dark wood finishes on interiors, particularly when the bulkheads are varnished also- makes me feel like I'm in a cave when it's rainy out. The light paint with bright trim is a Herreshoff thing and I like it. Pretty traditional too. I've done that on the interiors of all the boats I've built for customers and they like it also.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

polecat

Charliej - I was particularly taken with the light ash on the inside of the hull.  Would you share a few secrets as to how this was done?  Thickness, how is it attached, do you also wet it and hold it in position while it dries then finish it? 
Jim

CharlieJ

Are you referring to the ceilings? I'm gonna assume that's what you mean.

That's ash that's been resawn into strips. We started with 3/4 ash and split that in two, then planed it smooth. Resulting strips are just under 3/8 thick. Rounded the edges with a router set up on a table, then laid it all out and varnished the whole thing, outside the boat.

Against the hull there are strips of plywood epoxied on, kerfed on the back to take the bend. Between those are fitted foam insulation. Then the strips were cut to length and screwed to the backing strips.

I sat out in the cockpit while Laura measured. I'd cut to length ( there's an angle on each end by the way) and hand each strip back in. Then she'd screw it down. All bronze screws. Then we screwed trim strips over each end.

I should point out that she installed all the wood inside ( except for the sole), sewed the cushions and pained the interior. I was working on a customer boat at the time
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

A few shots of the setup and cutting-

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Here is Mariah's ceiling similarly done but with a different look.

"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Kewl- really adds to the looks of the boat doesn't it? Covers all that fiberglass and nothing to paint. Actually we've been very happy with it with the foam behind. We note no condensation on the hull sides.

The cabin top is a whole 'nother story >:(
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

CharlieJ

While I'm showing off Laura's work, I'll show you this too. She also did all the brightwork on the OUTSIDE of the boat and reinstalled it all too.

That's all original wood- 45 years old at the time ;D It's older than she is!!

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Yes the insulation makes a big difference, along with the solar vent I have had zero condensation problems.

And I am working on the brightwork soon. It is all off and ready to go, but other chores have got in the way  ;)

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

polecat

Just beautiful - If my brightwork were to ever look that nice - I'd have to take it off & take it home every night.  Now I need to start looking for a planer
thanks - Inspiring
jim

CharlieJ

Thanks . Laura has made sunbrella covers for the hand rails . We keep them on the boat while she sits in the slip.

Hey- Thornton isn't THAT far away from us-under 200 miles. If you ever get down this way look us up.

We used to do  a blackpowder thing in Mexia years ago.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Yeh! and I'm only 2014 miles from ya!  ;) Darn I would like some hot weather sailing :)

W.A. Ward

AdriftAtSea

Charlie-

As I've said before, you're a lucky man...and Laura is better than you deserve. :) :)
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

Shipscarver

You must look strange towing a dink with a planer, band saw, bench saw, saw horses, tool boxes, tarps, and a shop vac.  ;D  :D  ;D
Really great work! I do like that ash interior.
What did you use for insulation?
"The great secret that all old people share
is that you really haven't changed . . .
Your body changes, but you don't change at all.
And that, of course, causes great confusion." . . . Doris Lessing

Shipscarver - Cape Dory 27

CharlieJ

;D

well- I don't tow all that but when I lived aboard and cruised before I DID carry a small selection of woodworking hand  tools. Made some bucks stopping to work in various boatyards along the east coast.

The insulation is foil both sides urethane foam, from the lumber yard.

;D ;D ;D
Oh and by the way- Adriftatsea- just how do you KNOW I don't deserve her???

It might well be the truth, but how do YOU know that? ;D ;D ;D
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

AdriftAtSea

Charlie-

Just a guess...playing the odds..:) 
s/v Pretty Gee
Telstar 28 Trimaran
Yet we get to know her, love her and be loved by her.... get to know about My Life With Gee at
http://blog.dankim.com/life-with-gee
The Scoot—click to find out more

CharlieJ

Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera