Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

update Galley on Aleutka

Started by silverhand69, October 17, 2009, 09:34:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

silverhand69

Hi'all
My Aleutka 25 needs help. Although designed to be minimalist cruiser, I need a better Galley. I have ripped out the floor, counter and Icebox(cooler). I need input on a proper oven (prefer propane) pressure/heated water and refrigeration. I have limited space but it's OK I intend to live aboard alone because  I haven't found a woman adventurous enough to leave all this behind. I plan to sail around the world  departing for a 5 year voyage in Aug 2012, and settling in Argentina to Tango the rest of my life away. I plan to have solar/wind power electric propulsion so that may factor in. any input helpful-I am down to a bare hull so I can go where I want with design.-Will :D
Only those who see the invisible can do the impossible

Frank

Sounds like a great adventure. Force 10 makes a nice smaller sized 2 burner with oven. My 2 cents are 'ya can't beat an ENGEL for refridge'. Very low draw, super simple. Pressure water ?????????   Why?? Just one more battery sucker ;D One more thing to break. Have you seem those solar pump-up sprayer/showers? CJ and Laura use one as do we. He posted a pic  http://sailfar.net/forum/index.php?topic=2502.40  They work very well. Good luck with your reno...have fun...pics man...we need pics ;)
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

polecat

If your boat is sea worthy (well equipped to sail and anchor)- go now.  An Engle fridge is excellent equipment - go now.  The camp chef isn't really stainless steel, it doesn't pass the Pardey magnet test.  But it should last a couple years - go now.  Your boat is a minimalist cruiser a seacook stove is easy to mount, simple to use - go now.  Buy Lin and Larry Pardeys book "Cost consious cruiser" read chapter 1 and you will find truth.  You don't get many chances to follow your dream, if your lucky maybe 2 or 3.
You never know which one will be your last so go now.  And take a lot of pictures for us folk who can't go now ----
See you out there
jim (who is workin hard on his last chance)

Bubba the Pirate

I second and third the GO NOW!   I've got some work to do in the Spring and I'm going next year! 

Go Now . . . .

Todd
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

CharlieJ

Tehani has an Ice chest-when we have ice available we keep drinks cold(never food except the occasional leftover or freshly caught fish fillets. We caught two Spanish Mackeral the other day). If we can't get ice we use it for dry food storage.

Go now

we cook on a one burner kerosene Sea Cook gimballed stove . Laura bakes loaves of bread, biscuits, cakes, whatever inthat pressure cooker on that one burner.

Go now

we use a foot pump for our water- I wouldn't allow a pressure water system on one of
my boats.

Go now

we've been crusing now this trip for 3 months, have had a ball and haven't had to repair anything other than a burned our bilge pump which we didn't know was burned out til we tested it one day- no through hulls including no sink drain

go now

As was pointed out earlier our shower is a pump up from Duckworks- works great and also serves to fresh water rinse dishes washed in salt water when the water is clean enough. Saves a ton of water

go now
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Greenman

Charlie, did I read that right? You have ZERO thru hulls?
1298 Days to retirement and counting down. Thats only 794 working days!
If you are in the Halifax NS area, drop me a line.
www.SYClub.ca

CharlieJ

You read it correctly. I removed and glassed over every opening below the water line. The bilge pump outlet is in the cockpit, directly over one of the new large drains I installed. If it operates, we know it instantly. And yes, the sink doesn't have a drain- it lifts out and gets emptied overboard.

The only openings otherwise are a deck drain each side, above th WL and both of those are valves.

The boat had seven below waterline holes when we got her.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera