oil stained mahogany and teak also teak and holly sole

Started by Sooner, February 25, 2020, 12:46:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sooner

anyone have an idea how to remove bilge water (oil) stain from teak & holly sole and also 10 "    up the mahogany bulkhead?  I put the Cape Dory on the hard 3 yr ago while getting medical repair and some fine person boarded and left the main hatch open flooding the main cabin 10" up the bulkhead.  no telling how long it sat that way.  the bulkhead is black with oil stain- so far it has resisted all attempts to clean with soaps - bleach - naptha - lighter fluid - etc.  another question - what would you have to do to the oil soaked wood in order to paint over it?
Hunter 23 little Sooner Central Texas trailer sailor
Cape Dory 27 Sharryn Freeport Texas
Youth is not needed....just wonderlust!  Keep going...have "wide eyes"...enjoy the moments. Frank

CharlieJ

only thing I can suggest is Savogran wood bleach- It's an Oxalic acid based and I used it often in my furniture repair shop. I get it at my local ACE hardware
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Lars

Oxylic acid is your best bet I I use bar keepers friend available at dollar stores and walmart but I don't think you will be able to get out all the staining
.worth a try ..may want to wash with a heavy dose of dawn dishwashing liquid to remove all the oil you can. Make a paste out of the bar keepers

Sooner

Finaly give, up everything works a little bit will try now to cover it up 2000 e
Hunter 23 little Sooner Central Texas trailer sailor
Cape Dory 27 Sharryn Freeport Texas
Youth is not needed....just wonderlust!  Keep going...have "wide eyes"...enjoy the moments. Frank