"Allure" Bahamas 2016

Started by Frank, January 08, 2016, 12:33:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Frank

Crazy flight delays and a bit of a zoo getting here.....but even so it was nice to be both here and in the water less than 2 full days after arriving. It is "slightly" more $$ to store a boat on the hard at Green Turtle than at Indiantown....but no full day trip to Stuart...another to Lake worth...wait on a window...another to cross and 2-3 more to get here.
Allure summered well. Teak had slight mold but decks were only slightly dirty and both the hull and interior were great!
Arrived, put panel on 1st, connected batteries and started other chores.
Just launched 30 minutes ago and we all know that dreaded moment....
After sitting for 9mths.....will it start???
Happy to report the lil Yanmar started on the 1st power stroke!! Literally instantly!!  Relieved....
Just took a mooring in black sound as I want to semco the teak and a few other exterior details before putting on the dodger and sun shade.
Feels GREAT to be on the water!!!

On a seperate note....geez it feels more like home here than the town I grew up in!!!  My 1st trip into New Plymouth (pop 350) I had more hand shakes and hugs in 30 minutes than I'd get at home in 2 years!! Between locals and other cruisers...ya truly feel a sense of community.

Busy week with a few things and then "island time" by late next week.

No plans after that other than following the wind...

May head to Exumas via "the marls" for something different later on.

Anyone else heading over??

Both pics within the last hour....
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Bubba the Pirate

That's awesome!

Fair winds, Frank.  I'll see you over there next year.

Todd
~~~~~~~/)~~~~~~~
Todd R. Townsend
       Ruth Ann
      Bayfield 29
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bob J (ex-misfits)

Congrads on getting her back in the water!
I am looking forward to reading about & seeing pictures of another one of your adventures.
Have a safe crossing!

I'm not happy unless I'm complaining about something.
I'm having a very good day!

lance on cloud nine

Nice! Blast us with pictures!, please.
"a boat must be a little less than a house, if you want it to be much more."

stumpy

Fair winds Frank!  Hmmm...looks to be a wee bit warmer than the Salish Sea at the moment.  Wouldn't you rather be on Desolation Sound appreciating how well your heater works?  ha ha ha.

w00dy

Aye. The Neuse river is cccccold. It is your duty to take pictures swimming with manatees!

Frank

Sorry Woody.....never saw a Manatee over here....but there were ray's at the dock today.
Took this 2 minutes ago......it should warm you up a bit

thats a little ferry boat to the left

Frank

Been busy with prep, a new MPPT charge controller etc.
Should be all caught up and mobile by next week

Anchor is like that to keep chain off the bowsprit to add Semco Sealant to the teak

Frank

Almost ready to cruise...
A big day would get it done....so figure 2  :-)

"island time"

Neat boat took a mooring next to my lil guy

a cat with a mast on each hull....

I've seen pics before but never enroute

Frank

PS....sunny and 78 today after a few windy wet days

Hopefully lots more to come...

s/v Emerald Tide

Waves and gusts to 54 in HopeTown. Not the calm harbor I last visited. Hope you are safe and sound!

Frank

Safely on a mooring in Black Sound. Eased up now a bit.....gusts were laying boat over earlier. Who needs carnival rides.  ;) ;D :o

s/v Emerald Tide

That's pretty protected in there. Surprised you were laying over. A mooring ball is a good feeling of security - at least you might be able to get some rest.

We went aground, briefly, trying to get out of there. Nearly a 6 foot draft on ET, though. A boat like Allure would be better suited for the Bahamas. Definitely always had to do the whale.  No pressure when trying to be in Marsh Harbor for a flight.  :P

Frank

Getting closer to feeling "caught up"
New MPPT charge controller installed.
Belts tightened, lockers cleaned out and organized.

Just back fro Bob and Alice's boat.  Cruising Friends from Winnipeg....they just got here after crossing from Florida last Saturday. I was polishing stainless steel out side and heard my name called...  Looked around and there they were taking a mooring behind me.
Long story short....ended up with 7 of us on the back of their boat...guitars  and mouth organs out.....wine flowing....songs and laughs. From Neil Young to James Taylor and some traditional sailing tunes. Great, unplanned evening....always the best!!   
It really is the friends you make and the sense of "community" amungst cruisers that makes it special

Frank

The "boat list" is nearly done. Just a good final clean up and once the wind lays down after sunday I'll be off to ???   No plan...follow the breeze.

Will blow hard starting tomorrow and very hard Saturday and Sunday. I brought several new books so "all good"

This picture was about 1/2 hour before sunrise today.  Mornings are great....nice to see the day "open up"

Frank

A cockpit party turned to conversations of Eluethra and Exumas.  I barely need charts in the Abacos after so many years and like the comfort of knowing "where to go" and "what to do".....but a change would be great. Not definate yet....but 3 of us may be heading down in a week or so.
Yep....as usual....I'll be the smallest of the 3.....by 16+ft

Any "favorite stops" CJ or others?

(CJ....I packed a flowery shirt for that "look" you wear so well)   ;D

NO intention of doing Geargetown OR Nassau

Tim

Well, you have to go to Ocean Cabin Restaurant, Farmers Cay

Other than that, because I was sailing in a Sea Pearl, you all may have problems geting to where we we went.  ;)

http://www.pbase.com/morningdove/bahamas_08
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

CharlieJ

Watched movie shown against wall of Ali's wife's store on Little Farmers. Set up  folding chairs and most of the people came.

Also Staniel Cay- Snorkel Thunderball cave and visit swimming pigs over on Big Major.

Then on Black Point, see  Willie Rolle's "Garden of Eden"  driftwood sculptures. And have dinner at Deshamon's
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

Tim

Quote from: CharlieJ on January 24, 2016, 11:46:30 AM
Watched movie shown against wall of Ali's wife's store on Little Farmers. Set up  folding chairs and most of the people came.

Also Staniel Cay- Snorkel Thunderball cave and visit swimming pigs over on Big Major.

Then on Black Point, see  Willie Rolle's "Garden of Eden"  driftwood sculptures. And have dinner at Deshamon's

And I suggest you visit Thunderball Grotto BEFORE you go into Staniel Cay dock and see what is lurking a quarter mile away  :o  ;D
"Mariah" Pearson Ariel #331, "Chiquita" CD Typhoon, M/V "Wild Blue" C-Dory 25

"The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails."
W.A. Ward

Frank

Tried to head S across "don't Rock Passage"....but it was a rockin from the left over swells from yesterdays winds.
Turned back and anchored in the N end of Manjack.

Pic is looking back as I left Black Sound
New Plymouth from the water
Cat's are well represented as I turned into Manjack's anchorage