News:

Welcome to sailFar! :)   Links: sailFar Gallery, sailFar Home page   

-->> sailFar Gallery Sign Up - Click Here & Read :) <<--

Main Menu

Cruising & Firearms

Started by dnice, April 30, 2009, 02:59:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Travelnik

I thought about the pointy stick idea too...much more effective than attacking with a banana, but you'd still get shot.  :(    ;D

There probably aren't too many pirates that would want to bother with my 42 year old, 22' boat. I think they would go for a better paying target, whether for robbery or kidnapping.

Although, the wasp spray + flare gun, or highly pressurized fuel "leak" + flare gun may be effective.

Avoiding high risk areas is still the best choice though.  8)
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Travelnik

I have guns too, and I like to play with them, but I wouldn't take one on the boat either, except for flare guns and maybe a spear gun. I would like to go spear fishing sometime!

Get some fish to go with my eggs!  ;D
I'm Dean, and my boat is a 1969 Westerly Nomad. We're in East Texas (Tyler) for now.

Frank

Fish and eggs would be great!!!   Good cholesteral to counter the bad!!!!   Very wise!!!!
God made small boats for younger boys and older men

Travelnik

See, it's not such a bad thread. Good food ideas!  ;D

CharlieJ

Well- best forget the spear gun. Can't use it in many places. Such as Bahamas. Think pole spear or Hawaiian sling instead Those are legal.
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

tomwatt

I'm not sure I would vote for eggs plus worms... that doesn't sound too appetizing to me. Whose idea was it to put worms in the eggs? Does that make the bacon taste like ice cream?
Seriously, in the world of weaponry, it's always about escalation... and the chances of having enough firepower onboard (short of having your own gun deck installed ala U.S.S. Constitution et al) to effectively match with someone is unlikely. It's not worth the bother.
I do not recommend offering the bad guys worms, though. Also, if you are cruising in my vicinity, please only open a can of worms if you think the fish are biting. Then be sure to invite me over for some nice, freshly caught filets!
Plus, aren't there USCG Regs about having firearms aboard? I thought it was already a no-no. Of all the folks I don't care to tick off, the guys with the big stripe on their boats rank right up there.
1977 Nordica 20 Sloop
It may be the boat I stay with for the rest of my days, unless I retire to a cruising/liveaboard life.
1979 Southcoast Seacraft 26A
Kinda up for sale.

CharlieJ

Quote from: tomwatt on August 15, 2012, 10:04:43 PM

Plus, aren't there USCG Regs about having firearms aboard? I thought it was already a no-no. Of all the folks I don't care to tick off, the guys with the big stripe on their boats rank right up there.

No- perfectly legal as far as USCG is concerned, as long as when they board, you tell them. May not be legal in all states, depending on firearm. But then in some states, that flare pistol is a no-no
Charlie J

Lindsey 21 Necessity

On Matagorda Bay
On the Redneck Riviera

mrb

Last time I was checked they just wanted to know if you had a firearm on board, Cost guard that is.  Funny how they would go into the quick draw stance when asking.  Then there was no law against an American in good standing having a firearm as per constitution.  Some states have laws but then the court has upheld a persons right to have a firearm in their home as in Washington D.C..  I knew comercial fishermen who always carried firearms and told the coast guard or sherrifs the boat was their home as they "d--- well knew it"  I never botherd carrying as I saw no threat. In Or. Wa. , Northern Cal. or B.C.
Funny how quick we change. L.F. Hershoff thought  boating was a good time for a father to teach his son marksmanship in the 60s.  Toss a can on the water and let your son go for it as it bobs about.  Going out side the U.S. a person better check.  Into the 90's western Canada let you bring a rife or shotgun for devence against bears as you gatherd drift wood or whatever on shore excursions.  Just shouldn't mention defence against crazy Canadians, or any human.

rorik

At the annual boat show here in Seattle last January, I asked the USCG f there were any rules stopping me from carrying firearms on board.
Their unanimous answer (4 of them in the booth) was that as long as I was following all the usual state and federal laws concerning firearms ownership, I was fine.
They also mentioned that having a concealed carry permit wouldn't be a bad idea in case I met a Coastie who considered my home just another conveyance, in which case I'd be traveling, etc......
Judging by that response, I'd guess that rules can to some extent be open to individual interpretation.
But I'm not going to give up a hobby just because of a potential bad situation.
If I start doing that, where does it end? Curled up in a box in an alley somewhere mumbling to myself......
Alice has escaped....... on the Bandersnatch....... with.. the Vorpal sword....

mrb

rorik,  good reply,  I do like their comment on the "Coastie considering your home just another form of conveyance".  That is what leads to trouble, idndividual officials deciding to add their own interpertation.